iPad mini My iPad mini charging brick died

Discussion in 'iPad' started by L T, Aug 22, 2013.

1. L T macrumors 6502

L T

As the title says, the charging brick just doesn't work! The lightening cable is fine as that works with my iPhone charging brick.

Would apple give me a new one if I take in the broken one to the apple store, considering I only got my iPad mini about 2 months ago?

Thanks

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

It should be under warranty for a year, same as your iPad. Take it back to the Apple store, and they will swap it out.

3. narutoninjakid macrumors 6502

Yeah Apple store will be able to help you out.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Case closed. Go to Apple. No Apple Store near you? Call 1-800-MYAPPLE and they'll likely to ship it to you (once you ship yours that is).

5. L T thread starter macrumors 6502

L T

I'm going to an apple store today if you didn't see my "I'm getting a MacBook Air tomorrow (today)"

I tested it again overnight and I remember the problem now, it charges for a bit but stops charging.

Overnight it charged my iPad from 49% to 89% and then it had stopped charging with the battery in the top right corner showing as not charging

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's possible that the brick isn't the issue here, but calibration. If you allow the ipad to go completely dead, then re-charge, you may find that the charger isn't faulty. Either way, you are covered under the standard warranty and Apple will replace it if it proves to be the culprit.

7. L T thread starter macrumors 6502

L T

iPad has been fine charging with the same cable and another charging brick

8. L T thread starter macrumors 6502

L T

They wouldn't change it today, he said I would have to book a genius appointment

Would even change it for me when I had just spent £800+ on a MBA

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

1. Of course you'd need to make a genius appointment, that's what they are there for.

2. When I worked for Apple retail, the "but I just spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on new Mac stuff! Treat me special!" argument was ridiculous, as EVERY customer spends that much. In fact that's pretty low end.

Make a genius appt and you'll be fine.

10. Sparticu$ macrumors member

I don't care if I'm buying a $1300 computer or a $20 charger I expect it to work. If it doesn't the company should exchange it. I can see making an appointment if something was wrong with the computer, but making an appointment just because of a charger sounds like a waste of time and money. It would be cheaper for apple to just test the charger and then replace it.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

That's what they'll do, you just need to make an appointment with an employee trained to do that.

They're called Apple Geniuses.

12. L T thread starter macrumors 6502

L T

I don't see how a Genius appointment will help me, the charger will begin charging when they plug it in but I would have to leave a device there charging for a few hours to see the charge cut out

13. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I agree no one should feel entitled to special service because they spent what they think is a lot of money.. But seriously genius appt for charger?..

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I don't know what the big deal is about making an appointment for a part. I made an appointment because my earbuds went on the fritz. Of course, they replaced it.
    Seriously, if you haven't already, make the frickin' appointment. :rolleyes:

15. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Are you sure it's bricked?

I experienced something similar a couple of weeks ago, i.e. the iPad seemed to have gotten bricked while charging. It helped to hold the home and power button for a while (10-20 seconds), then it restarted.