Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
My ipad screen goes dim then it locks up completely...

I've restarted/rebooted it twice, but each time after a few seconds the screen will go dim, not dark or black, just dim then it locks up completely...

What gives here?

This is the first problem I've ever had with it...

I'm trying to restore it via iTunes but I get an error message saying

"The iPad "iPad" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (9).

Last edited:

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
Well I got it restored via iTunes and restarted it, was updating all my apps, it crashed again...

Now when I restart it it get to the black screen with the apple logo in the middle and just stays there...

:confused::mad::mad::mad::mad:

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
Here is what I did.. step by step.

My iPad was functioning flawlessly until just a few hours ago when the screen went dim, not dark just dim and the unit locked up completely.

I rebooted it with the home key sleep button, it restarted then after a few minutes did the same thing again.

Screen went dim and it locked up.

I connected it to iTunes where it recognised it in restore mode and tried to update the software. I guess to iOS6 if thats out...

I got an error code of (9) which had something to do with the USB.

So I tried another port and restarted iTines... it updates the software and I was in the process of syncing all my apps back onto it from iTunes when it froze again.

Even iTunes froze...

I had to unplug the iPad and shut down iTunes and then restart it.

I tried to reboot the ipad but it would restart and get tot he black screen with the apple logo and just stop. I shut it down and now I can't even get it to reboot to the black apple logo screen.

But when I plug it into iTunes, iTunes regcognizes it as an iPad in restore mode, but once I click restore it starts installing the software then gives me a error code of 1600, which is USB related.

I've tried all the trouble shooting reccomendations on the support site and nothing...

Is my iPad dead?

Why will iTunes recognize it in restore mode yet I cant even get it to reboot/restart by holding down the home key and sleep button?

Help plz!

----------

You must update your OS .. After this it will work again. :)

Ummm.... thats the problem it won't let me update it...

----------

Did you try updating to the iOS 6 update and couldnt get it?

When it first went dim and froze I wasn't trying to update anything I was just surfing the net via wi-fi in my apartment...

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
I have got my iPad into DFU mode...

I tried to do a restore and iTunes recognizes my iPad when its plugged in, it starts the restore process,

Says verifying iPad restore, then restoring iPad and it begins to restore it and after a few minutes I get another (9) error code...

Now my screen is black with the iTunes log and the USB symbol with the arrow saying to plug it in.

But it is plugged into iTunes...

WTF is up with my iPad.. this is beyond frustrating... :mad:

----------

OH WTF!?!?!??!?!

Now I'm getting error code (14)

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Did you try using another USB port, another USB cable?

Do you have access to another computer you can try restoring on?

If that still doesn't work, you've got a hardware failure, contact Apple.

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
I've disconnected my Apple Airport Express and I'm connected straight into my cable modem...

I can now get it to about 50% of the restore process according to the iTunes task bar... then it stops, gives me (9) error code...

THIS IS BEYOND CRAP....

What has happened today on the software end of Apple?

I noticed when I updated iTunes earlier they also updated the software for Airport Express too...

WTF APPLE??????

----------

Did you try using another USB port, another USB cable?

Do you have access to another computer you can try restoring on?

If that still doesn't work, you've got a hardware failure, contact Apple.

I've used three different cables and two different USB ports...

But just to confirm I used all the cables with my iPod in the same USB post with no trouble...

So its a hardware failure...

Nice, so iPads just up and die at the one month old mark, with no warning, no abuse, nothing...

I've not done a single thing to this unit, its been babied for entire time I've owned it...

Are they this fragile? :(:mad::mad::mad:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I've not done a single thing to this unit, its been babied for entire time I've owned it...

Are they this fragile? :(:mad::mad::mad:

No, plenty of people, including me and many of my friends and family, have been using theirs for months and years without mishap. You just got unlucky with yours. Happens from time to time with electronics. I remember I bought a computer once, CPU died for no apparent reason. This is why these things come with warranties. I called the company I bought the computer from, they sent out a technician with a replacement CPU, he swapped it in, and the computer worked fine for many years. Take your iPad in to Apple, and if they can't fix it, they'll replace it.

qCzar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
SFBA, CA
Error Code #9 is when the iPad looses communication over USB. If your cable wasn't plugged in, you likely have some debris bridging a connection in your dock port that's making the iPad think it's connected over USB. Try brushing the connections off with a note of currency (or an old, dry toothbrush) and try again. Even if it is plugged in, some debris may prevent the dock connector from keeping a continuous connection.

Error Code #14 is again an error with the USB. Apple suggests trying a new USB Port and even a new USB to 30-Pin Dock connecter. They even suggest going as far as putting a USB hub between the device and the computer and turning off any 3rd party software, i.e. Anti-Virus Software.

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
Well after much searching, reading cussing and fussing and somewhere between 10 and 20 attempt to get this thing restored...

Its has been restored and updated to iOS 5.1.1

But in the process I lost most of my new(er) Safari bookmarks since my last iCloud backup was about a week after I bought it...

I still don't have a clue what caused this nightmare... its not my USB ports or cables because all my other USB stuff world fine with all of them... and I'm 99% sure its not the USB attachment on the iPad itself because iTunes recognizes it immediately upon plugging it in.

And it charges fine via the same port...

It just seemed to drop about half way thru the restore.

Oddly enough the more I kept at making attempts at restoring it, the further along int he restore process I'd get before it would give me the error code.

The last two attempts before final success I got to around 95% completed.

From what I gathered reading other forums, the Apple Support forums and half a dozen blogs about this and a few other issues people commonly encounter when restoring the iPad...

This is very common, which is sad and IMHO completely unacceptable for an Apple product.

If I wanted all the headaches, heartburn, tweaking, settings tinkering, shortcuts, special bypassing procedures... and other assorted computer voodoo I'd go back to Windows based PC...

Hopefully whatever little gremlin was giving me trouble has moved on...

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
So now were back to this BS again...

Now my iPad just went into restore mode on its own... and when I try to restore it via iTunes I'm back to this BS again...

Error (9)...

I'm about ready to throw this piece of ever loving ***** out the window...

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Stop trying to fix it and take it into Apple. No point in frustrating yourself trying to fix what is obviously a defective unit.

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
Stop trying to fix it and take it into Apple. No point in frustrating yourself trying to fix what is obviously a defective unit.

Yup, she's frozen solid, mid restore... stuck on the black screen with the apple logo and progressing task bar hung at about 25% complete...

Can't even shut this POS off... so I just tossed it in the box, still on, still froze solid, all the paperwork is there, cables etc...

Off to my local Apple Store tomorrow AM to see what they will do for me.

:(

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
It won't let me do anything... its completely unresponsive to any attempt to get it to turn off, put it into DFU or recovery mode...

I've tried 4 or 5 times...

I guess just wait for it to die then, plug it in, try turning it on and see what happens... This is when removable batteries are useful.

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
It's going back to the Apple Store in a few hours when they open, for a replacement.

Even if I could get this one restarted again I will never trust it, too many problems...

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
Just returned from the Apple Store.

They plugged it in to run some diagnostics and it was so messed up they could't do anything with it... it gave them blue screen on one start up attempt, then it froze on a black screen, which started flashing between the black and blue screens....

The tech, looked it over, no physical damage nothing... he said he's never seen anything like it...

I showed him some iPhone pics I took of the laundry list of random error messages I was getting trying to restore it via iTunes and all he could do was shake his head.

So here I sit with a new iPad.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Definitely a hardware defect, sounds to me like a memory problem.

Sometimes people are unlucky and get lemons, it happens. I don't think its because the iPad is "sensitive" or build like crap.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Its nice to know these iPads are fragile POS's...

Get a grip, dude! We all feel for you, but this was a problem with YOUR iPad, not everyone else's. You just got unlucky and got a random lemon. You should have taken it back way sooner than you did instead of getting your panties all knotted up. Wasn't worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.