My iPad's clock is wrong. Very wrong.

bdmsb

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
This could be related to a timezone issue in the OS software, where its jumping ahead or backwards. As long as the timezone / country is set correctly it should be fine. Also, note the iPad has no separate internal lithium clock battery so this is obviously updated via wireless / 3G connection.
Except that the errors are not multiples of an hour. And it "should" be fine but it's not ... that's why it's a problem. The clock does not need wifi or 3G to update because it generally keeps the correct time after sleep with no wifi or 3G connection. It doesn't need a separate clock battery because it has a big main battery.

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2006
This could be related to a timezone issue in the OS software, where its jumping ahead or backwards. As long as the timezone / country is set correctly it should be fine. Also, note the iPad has no separate internal lithium clock battery so this is obviously updated via wireless / 3G connection.
This has nothing to do with timezones since the minutes are off as well and there's no rhyme or reason as to how much time its off. The timezone/country is set correctly and the time is most definitely not fine.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Except that the errors are not multiples of an hour. And it "should" be fine but it's not ... that's why it's a problem. The clock does not need wifi or 3G to update because it generally keeps the correct time after sleep with no wifi or 3G connection. It doesn't need a separate clock battery because it has a big main battery.
This obviously points to a software (OS) issue or how the iPad is obtaining its time data, either from your wireless connection via the time server, or via the phone network. The loss or gain of time is usually not hardware related.

bdmsb

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
This obviously points to a software (OS) issue or how the iPad is obtaining its time data, either from your wireless connection via the time server, or via the phone network. The loss or gain of time is usually not hardware related.
The iPad keeps time in the forest with no wifi or 3G connection. It does not need a time server every time it wakes up.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
The iPad keeps time in the forest with no wifi or 3G connection. It does not need a time server every time it wakes up.
This would then point to the internal clock which is controlled by the CPU, and since mine has no issue like this, this would point to a software issue linked to the time in the iPad.

bdmsb

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
This would then point to the internal clock which is controlled by the CPU, and since mine has no issue like this, this would point to a software issue linked to the time in the iPad.
It seems to me that we can't tell what the problem is yet, that it could be software or hardware. It would seem that Apple cannot diagnose the problem yet with all of their resources. These are complex systems and it's probably not possible to use a unit with no problem to diagnose the units that have a problem. They all theoretically have the same software AND hardware. My own unit has not had the problem again in the last month, but I don't know that it's "fixed".

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Just noticed this myself. After using my pad first time thing morning (after charge from wall socket), it was showing 06:30 when the time was 06:45. A few minutes later it corrected itself.

Later on at around midday (after sleeping for a couple of hours), it was showing 11:11am. :confused:

Mental note: DON'T rely on the iPad's clock/calendar!

mcfadyen

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Just noticed this myself. After using my pad first time thing morning (after charge from wall socket), it was showing 06:30 when the time was 06:45. A few minutes later it corrected itself.

Later on at around midday (after sleeping for a couple of hours), it was showing 11:11am. :confused:

Mental note: DON'T rely on the iPad's clock/calendar!
Had the same issue this morning. Restarted and it was back to normal.

xgman

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2007
Syncing temporarily fixes this sleep/time issue, but it points to a software glitch I would think. I hope Apple is taking not of this to include a fix with it's fix update. I find this to be very basic to the operation and very unacceptable. I mean a $10 watch can keep time right?

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Since noticing this a couple of weeks ago, I haven't had the problem since. However, it could be that I'm just not looking at the iPad's clock anymore. Once a clock starts showing reliability issues it becomes pretty useless.

Funny that the iPad's oldest and simplest feature is the broken one.

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
I had the same issue. I restored it as a new iPad & the problem has not returned. It's been 3 days...however, my problem now is that my previously purchased issues of Mens Health magazine are gone. I backed it up before I restored it, but because I restored it as new I'm thinking I may be beat.

Does anybody know how I can retrieve these issues? I could restore it from the last back-up, but then I'll probably have to deal with the clock issue again.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mike Reed

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Columbus, OH
I have noticed on mine that syncing sets the iPad's clock to the computer's clock. The only reason I even noticed is because for whatever reason my Windows 7 bootcamp install refuses to keep the correct time.

mario66

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
same problem

I am experiencing the same problem as discussed in this thread. I notice however that the last post was while back. Has the problem been resolved or did you all just send the ipad back to Apple?

I have a 32 gig 3G. Clock falls behind after sleep mode during both Wi-Fi or 3G connection.

Perhaps they issued an update that i am not aware of? any advice would be helpful as to how anyone here resolved their problem with the clock.

thanks!

bdmsb

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
I am experiencing the same problem as discussed in this thread. I notice however that the last post was while back. Has the problem been resolved or did you all just send the ipad back to Apple?

I have a 32 gig 3G. Clock falls behind after sleep mode during both Wi-Fi or 3G connection.

Perhaps they issued an update that i am not aware of? any advice would be helpful as to how anyone here resolved their problem with the clock.

thanks!
I know of no fix. In my case, the problem has not recurred. I suggest a cold restart of the iPad and keep an eye on it.

Jkazmeyer

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Madison TN
I had the same problem a couple days ago... The time seemed way off, more than an hour, then within 15 minutes of my noticing it, it corrected itself. Happened again the next day, but not since. It seems very random. It does sound like a software glitch, but even so, if it persists, I will take it to the genius bar to get looked at. I don't really want to, then I'll have to restore & lose my jailbreak, but I know if they can't figure it out, they will replace it. Has anyone else had this recur, that had it happen before. Maybe it's just a bug it has to get out, then it's gone....

HalfMoon

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
My iPad (16gb 3G) just went back to the store with this issue. Same as everyone else - randomly losing minutes after sleep. I filed a bug report with Apple through my dev account and after speaking with the guys at my local Apple resellers, it seems that Apple are being very cagey regarding this issue.
:confused:

xgman

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2007
I had the same problem a couple days ago... The time seemed way off, more than an hour, then within 15 minutes of my noticing it, it corrected itself. Happened again the next day, but not since. It seems very random. It does sound like a software glitch, but even so, if it persists, I will take it to the genius bar to get looked at. I don't really want to, then I'll have to restore & lose my jailbreak, but I know if they can't figure it out, they will replace it. Has anyone else had this recur, that had it happen before. Maybe it's just a bug it has to get out, then it's gone....
I've noticed that if you sync with your computer very frequently, this issue doesn't rear up. When you stop syncing for a few days or so, it sometimes reoccurs.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Least this issue isn't just happening to me lol. I've had my iPad a little over a month now and this clock issue started a few days ago. I go to bed then get up and check the iPad around 11am and it still says 10pm, from when I was last on it.

The last day or so it's been, normal, but sometimes the time will be off by 30 mins. Figured this is a software issue. Would hope apple fixes this soon enough.

iCrosoft

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Mine has been correct from the first day.
So was mine until this morning. I unlocked the screen and the displayed time was ahead 7 hours! I originally thought I REALLY overslept but checking my cell phone it displayed the correct time.

I never manually adjusted the time setting and it is set for my time zone by city. Just reccently the iPad decided (after 2 hours) to automatically update its time to something close to the correct time but is now behind 20 minutes.

very odd.

Merrily2006

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2006
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
OK Me Too - iPad time gone wrong

So it is september and still Apple has not fixed it???
I just googled and found this forum - Tried all the fixes suggested - and still the IPad has time about half hour out from the real time. :mad:

Now what?

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
My iPad is 3 minutes fast for the last two weeks even after syncing. Any solutions besides manually setting the time?

LordEntropy

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
My iPad is 3 minutes fast for the last two weeks even after syncing. Any solutions besides manually setting the time?
I have also recently noticed my iPad clock being fast by a few minutes even after syncing, is there maybe an issue with the Apple time sync servers I wonder?

Incidentally I have had my IPad since day 2 of release and not noticed this problem before. I am also running the latest version of iOS

Last edited: