Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
In fact it went from 97 to 94 in two weeks. mainly use a five watt charger. I do have it connected for apple CarPlay a lot while going to work. I’ve never seen an iPhone drop capacity so quickly. I know apple won’t replace it until it gets to 80%. Any idea what’s going wrong? Thanks in advance.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
In fact it went from 97 to 94 in two weeks. mainly use a five watt charger. I do have it connected for apple CarPlay a lot while going to work. I’ve never seen an iPhone drop capacity so quickly. I know apple won’t replace it until it gets to 80%. Any idea what’s going wrong? Thanks in advance.
The heat that apple car play generate will destroy that battery

littlestash

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2021
Got mine on launch day and still at 100%. I charge to 80% like every other day and never over night. Only using the 20w Apple charger. Prob car play..or your charger that’s doing it

Reactions: Saladin12

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
My car play is wired only. I can't just stop using it. It is very useful for me. Will an apple store replace my battery if I pay them the $100?

dcell

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
My 12 Pro dropped from 100% to 94% in two months. That was already quite fast but this is very extreme.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Are you seeing bad battery life since the battery health dropped to 94%?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Apples battery health won't show you but that percentage fluctuates all over the place. I wouldn't worry about it.

Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 4.44.27 AM.png

Couple lines down further and it goes back up to 94%. And how 10 months later its at 84 according to Coconutbattery and 82% according to Apple. On top of that its 70 dollars for me to have Apple replace it. While I'm by no means rich I've never lost sleep over a 70 dollar bill I might need to eventually pay....

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
I’ve been pretty shocked by my drop too. I have a 12 which after a little over a year is at 88% with a fairly strict regimen of charging just to 50 to 60% everyday (that gets me through the day). Rarely charged overnight except when I need an absolutely 100% battery the next day.

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
I’ve been pretty shocked by my drop too. I have a 12 which after a little over a year is at 88% with a fairly strict regimen of charging just to 50 to 60% everyday (that gets me through the day). Rarely charged overnight except when I need an absolutely 100% battery the next day.

This is surprising to me.

I also only require ~50% batt for my 7-8hr daily avg SOT. Started w/ 75-25 cycling, then 70-20, and now 65-15 using an automated custom optimization. 2.5yo XR is still 96% health which feels accurate in terms of capacity loss. Rumor is the 12-series uses different batts, but could that account for our health differences given similar cycling habits?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I bought my Xs max in nov 2018. Battery health before bringing phone to apple to pay to replace the battery was 95%.

The reason I brought it in was NOT due to the reduced battery life, it was due to the phone shutting off when the battery percentage was less than about 35%.

I did have to convince them to replace the battery but a new battery resolved the issue.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I bought my Xs max in nov 2018. Battery health before bringing phone to apple to pay to replace the battery was 95%.

The reason I brought it in was NOT due to the reduced battery life, it was due to the phone shutting off when the battery percentage was less than about 35%.

I did have to convince them to replace the battery but a new battery resolved the issue.
Yep, same situation here. A few years ago, the battery health on my mom's iPhone said it was 93%. The phone was probably 2 or 3 years old at that point. You'd think it was still good based on that number, right? Nope...far from it! The phone was always shutting down/crashing even if the battery level was 50%. Meanwhile, my phone that was at 85% battery health still lasted me all day without any issues. Luckily, this was during 'Batterygate' when Apple was caught throttling our phones and introduced the $29 battery replacement program as an apology. Didn't need to convince them to get it replaced back then.

It's always amusing when someone brags that their battery health is still high after a year or two, which is usually unlikely to be correct. It's just an estimate that isn't always accurate. I think Apple needs to hide this number from users. It seems to bring out the OCD in everyone, rather than just using the phone as it is and replace the battery when it's no longer running good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Boreham

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Wow, so much angst over $70 battery replacement.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
You are charging your phone to 50%-60% every day? What is your battery percentage at the end of the day? It's not good to let the battery get too low either. Seems like the general consensus is to keep it charged between 40%-80%.

Reactions: tt061282

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
It is my experience that even if you did everything perfectly and you got a less than perfect battery from the factory, this drop could occur. I have had years of comparing heavy vs babying usage (my wife is a heavy phone user, charges wirelessly while I am very light and baby my battery and we always get the same phones). She will let her phone drop to 0% often, have to charge it daily, and is a heavy user - will have hundreds more cycles than I do. Despite this, our battery health values are usually identical. Last year her 12 Pro Max dropped quite a bit right before we upgraded to the 13 Pro Max - but most of our other phones were near identical health.

That's why I get AppleCare - I'll use my phone how I want, if it goes down below 80% before 2 years - I'll walk into Apple asking for a replacement.

This is a tool that is meant to assist my life not make my life difficult. So while I try to keep it 40-80, I won't lose sleep if I charge it to 100%. And I charge it with whatever is handy - an Anker battery, a 30w Anker USB C to lightning charger, my car, etc.

1646065852186.png

If I had the OP's phone:
1. I'd rely more on coconutBattery to get more of a clearer picture from purchase.
2. I'd use the crap out of the phone and if it continued to fall, I'd see if I could find a sympathetic Apple Genius who would either replace my phone or let me buy a battery replacement (and if not, continue to use it and when it dropped below 80% before 2 years, get a free replacement).

chanerz

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2010
Got mine since launch date and been charging mine from 60 to 100% everyday using a wired fast charger. I don't use wireless charger. Still sitting at 100% capacity.

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Got mine since launch date and been charging mine from 60 to 100% everyday using a wired fast charger. I don't use wireless charger. Still sitting at 100% capacity.

Your behaviour is pretty optimal for battery preservation. I have a 12 Mini that’s at 85% because I am unable to charge during the day and often run the thing to less than 5% and sometimes to 1% or 0%. I have a MagSafe battery charger which should hopefully prevent my battery degrading as such a rapid rate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.