My iPhone 3G S has low build quality.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob616, Jun 20, 2009.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

I got my iPhone 3G S yesterday and I've already noticed many problems with it: the silent ringer switch is really wobbly and does not stay in place, the bezel does not fit on the phone correctly and I can feel sharp edges on the phone, the vibration is a whole lot weaker then my 3G iPhone, and when ever I place the iPhone 3G S down I hear something moving in side it almost sounds like a rattle.

Should i take it back to apple now or wait a month or two for them to get there iPhone 3G S stocks back up.

2. petemwah macrumors regular

i'd take it back now and explain the problems to them, at best they'll replace it on the spot and at worst they'll tell you they haven't got any left in stock and to come back next week/month/year! :) x

3. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

The vibration is weaker than the 3G, this has been reported by many.

The rattle noise is normal. It's the accelerometer.

4. PaulieORF macrumors regular

My home button on my new 3G S is sort of weird. Most of the time it doesn't really click, it just sort of pushes in. I've handled quite a few iPhones before and have never felt a home button that was like this. I'll give it a few days to see if me using it for a while breaks it in, if not I may get it swapped out for a different one.

5. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Mine is so hard i can hardly move it!!

6. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I would take it back immediately. You are paying for an experience and if you feel you are not getting your moneys worth I wouldn't care if there was one left in the store, I wouldn't settle for a less than perfect out of the box experieince.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Lol...what?!

8. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I think I'll take it to Apple today but is there any way I can call them and explain my problems over the phone so i don't really have to waste a trip if they say they can't replace it now.

9. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

and yeah I don't really thing that is the accelerometer because my 3G did not do that.

10. Shaan macrumors member

I think the rattling noise you are hearing is the volume up/down switch moving a little bit, which is normal. Trying placing your finger lightly over the switch and shaking the phone, you shouldn't hear anything then.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

does your iphone phone not work too? call them...LOL

12. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

uhh..no it's not. Where did you get that info?

13. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

I though that too so i tried putting my finger on the switch and I still heard it. it is coming from the side of the phone with the camera on it.

14. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I've experienced the "rattle" and I'm convinced it's the sleep/wake button. And my silence switch is only loose when i set it to vibrate, in normal mode it's pretty firm. I may take mine back, but it might not be worth it since everything else is great :eek:

15. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

What number should I my local store or the 1-800 number.

16. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

local store first.

17. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

So I covered all the buttons up with my hands to stabilize them, and it's none of them that are causing the rattle noise. Did someone say it was the accelerometer? My 2G never rattled. Anyone have input?

18. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hear and feel the rattle on my phone coming on the side where the camera is. So there might be something loose over there.

19. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Take it back! My original 1G iPhone had an uneven bezel, and AT&T exchanged it about a month later when they got stock back in.

As for my 3G S, it's pretty much perfect although the build quality is not as good as my original.

20. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

i called apple and set up an appointment. and an off topic question. Is the silver lining on the iPhone called a brazel or bezel.

21. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

bezel

22. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Sounds like your vibration is working just fine then :cool:

23. MrScripter macrumors newbie

My phone also has a RATTLE to it.

I could be wrong but I'm wondering if the rattle noise is the camera. Doesn't auto focus require moving parts, which could be a little loose. Just a guess...

24. Stiss macrumors 6502a

My 1st 3G refurb had a rattling vibrator switch. Annoyed the hell out of me because it would turn itself on/off in my pocket it was that loose.

I took it back because of that, and the massive light leak.

25. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

How are everyone's power/standby buttons? Mine is a lot mushier than my original iPhone and it kind of irks me.

Also, has anyone else been out in the sun with their 3GS? I was outside and noticed my home button doesn't match the color of the surrounding black. It almost looks slightly navy-ish. Anyone else?

Not impressed with the build quality of these things, makes me miss using my 1G.