My Iphone 3gs will not do anything, help needed!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by blueclare25, Aug 24, 2010.

1. blueclare25 macrumors newbie

Please help me.

I have a jailbroken iphone (not out of choice i had it with orange came to the end of the contract and they wouldn't unlock me so hence why it is jailbroken now). I didn't do the jailbreak and if im being dead honest i am rubbish with technical things however i have a icon called cydia on my iphone if that helps.

I went to bed last night and my iphone was working fine but woke up this morning and when i tried to turn it on it came up with the apple icon and then went off about 30 seconds later. I then plugged it into my laptop and it said that i need to restore it and on the front screen of the iphone it was a itunes logo and a picture of a usb cable, itunes then downloaded something im not sure whether it was a software update but it could possibly be as before i was on 3.1.3 and everytime i used itunes it asks me to update to 4.0 which i have always not got round to doing.

I then tried to restore it as itunes told me but after verifying with apple it came back with the message the iphone could not be restored the device isnt eligible for the requested build.

Can please someone help me?

2. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Your device is in restore mode. You can 1) Restore to 3.1.3 assuming your blobs were saved via Cydia or another method. 2) Upgrade to 4.0.2 which is non-jailbreakable at this time. Since you're needing an unlock this isn't really an option. You might look here: http://www.saurik.com/id/12#howto and follow those directions if you saved your blobs on Saurik's server.

Otherwise you'll need to find another way to unlock it. Can't unlock without the jailbreak unless you find a carrier to do a pro unlock on it.

3. calyx macrumors newbie

Hi before you do anything try this,it sounds as if your phone was jail broken with blackra1n in which case you'll need to...
    Go to blackra1n.com and download the software for your system ( Mac or win)
    No with your phone in dfu plug it into your computer, I tunes will open but shut that down and then run the blackra1n download , click make it rain and that should re-activate your phone.
    Basically your phone has a tethered jailbreak and if for some reason it gets turned off I.e. Runs out of power, has to re-boot etc it will display the iTunes logo and you will need to run that particular jailbreak again !!
    However if this isn't satisfactory once you've got your phone up and running again you will be able to save your blobs with saurik via cydia restore back to 3.1.3 and re jailbreak using jailbreakme.com with is untehered and will only need to run once.
    When you've done that you will be able to unlock via ultrasnow ( again on cydia) and you will then have your phone unlocked and free of any annoying tethering!!
    I hope this helps and if you need any advice pls message me or continue this thread I'll be here again in a bit !

Calyx:D

Seeds plant thoughts, thoughts plant seeds ....:cool:

4. blueclare25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill be honest with you i dont undestand any of this, any chance of a very very basic step by step guide

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Honestly, if you don't get what people said then you should do some research yourself. People is trying to help here but you don't know anything. How is people going to help you?

Let's start from google.

6. blueclare25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really do appreciate the help, i have been searching for how to do this since 7am, ive had root canal and come back and still cant do it, i will gladly hold my hand up i am stupid with anything technical i have tried following advice but i just dont seem to grasp it.

7. calyx macrumors newbie

3 step guide

:confused::

1.Go to blackra1n.com
    2. Download blackra1n for your system
    3. Run Blackra1n ( with your phone plugged in and itunes of ).

Please see if that`ll work !

Calyx

8. node808 macrumors member

Fine the white cable that connects your phone to your computer. USB side goes to computer and the wider connector goes to your phone. Let iTunes open and then use iTunes to restore it. Forget blackra1n. Just let iTunes do its thing. It will restore it to factory settings. You may lose everything but oh well.

9. blueclare25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right ive actually (with the help of you all and google) restored my iphone i now have os4.

The thing is though when i put my sim in, o2 prepay, it says the sim card does not appear to be supported, what are my next steps now? Do i have to jb it again or unlock it?

Thanks again i really do appreciate it, blondes like me should not have any sort of technology!

10. calyx macrumors newbie

node808
    Fine the white cable that connects your phone to your computer. USB side goes to computer and the wider connector goes to your phone. Let iTunes open and then use iTunes to restore it. Forget blackra1n. Just let iTunes do its thing. It will restore it to factory settings. You may lose everything but oh well.

She says she needs it unlocked so she can use her o2 sim in an orange phone ,why are you advising her to restore to 4.0.2 ? Unjailbreakable and unlockable! :mad:
    What's your issue this is a hacks forum ?:confused:
    Your advice is about as much us as a knife at a gunfight .

To the O.p. You will need a jailbroken phone if you want a carrier unlock or go buy one sim free at the apple store, I'm sure they'll be happy to take your cash!
    For your information install ultrasnow via cydia to carrier unlock.;)

Calyx

11. blueclare25 thread starter macrumors newbie

The version ive restored it to is just 4 maybe 4.1 i did it through firmware where you hold shift and press restore whilst the screen on my iphone was black (if that makes sense). What is the name of the software i need to download now i use windows vista

12. calyx macrumors newbie

Ok well you can check your firmware by going to settings then about and check that your firmware is below 4.0.2 if so then,
    Go to jailbreak me.com And slide to jailbreak, this should take a few minutes and then you will have cydia installed on your springboard, go to cydia
    Let it load up and press yes to any updates it requires, it will probably re-spring after you've done that , so go tap on the cydia icon again and once there search for ultrasnow install the latest version once that's installed turn the phone off and insert your o2 sim turn it back on and you should have a signal, your phone is unlocked !!:D

Calyx

13. blueclare25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, slight problem though i cannot get past the emergency call screen. Is this because i am using a o2 sim card and not the one that came with the phone?

14. calyx macrumors newbie

15. blueclare25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just found it, ive now got basic apps etc i have tried to launch jailbreak me but just end up with it crashing

16. calyx macrumors newbie

17. calyx macrumors newbie

Seems you may be on 4.0.2 you need to go to settings, general , about.
    Then scroll down to version, what have you got?
    Calyx

18. blueclare25 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have 4.0 (8a293)

19. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Then you're in luck. What you need to to now is follow this simple guide to jailbreak your 3GS and install Cydia (the brownish icon yeah)

After you're done with that you run through this guide to unlock your phone so you can use O2, AT&T, Vodafone, TurkCell - you name it.

All done, you've beaten the system and 'the man'

(oh and node808 should get a time-out for being such a douche!)

20. blueclare25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think i must be an absolute idiot as i have tried to do this all last night and this morning and as soon as i slide jailbreak it just throws me out back to the home screen and then when i go back into it it says oops!

do i need to have the carrier sim in and sync it first before doing this?

21. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

ok, you need to reset your iPhone before you visit the webpage again. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

Then visit jailbreakme.com again

22. blueclare25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Done that countless times, im getting a bit frustrated now. I actually dont care what the software is i have as long as my phone can be just like before where its unlocked and i can use it. I just feel like crying, i feel like i am so stupid as im going on all sorts of websites where people are doing this perfectly and it is just not happening for me, ive even reset networks settings as recommended by one website but that didnt work. What is wrong with me :(

23. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

I'm starting to wonder if you really have 4.0 (8a293), you may have 4.0.2 (8A400)

Can you make a screendump of the page saying 4.0 on your phone and upload it somewhere?

24. blueclare25 thread starter macrumors newbie

My phone is now stuck in DFU mode so i cannot do anything!

25. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Then restart it... I know from experience that the jailbreak and unlock process can be both intimidating and very very frustrating but in order for you to get back on track with your phone you need to calm down a bit =)

- Restart you iPhone
    - Put in the SIM card that came with the phone
    - Check what it says under Settings->General->About

If it says 4.0 or 4.0.1 then you're good and it should work (I have yet to find someone it DIDN'T work for).

If it says 4.0.2 then you're out of luck and will need to use your original provider until a new jailbreak/unlock comes out

[​IMG]