Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bibbz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Before i get too far into this, i just want to say I'm a user who's very easy on wireless phones. I've had the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, and now the iPhone 4(3Gs wasn't enough of an improvement over the 3G for me to justify buying it.). At the end of each of those phones lives, they were decently scratched up, yes even the glass on the front. So with my iPhone 4 i really want it to be in great shape when its life is over. Now knowing that, i really really really hate cases. I absolutely hate the way phones feel in a case. They were designed to be used naked and that's how i chose to use them, until now. I feel i must also mention, i started out using screen protectors on my original iPhone, and 3G, but kept peeling them off once the slightest bubble/peel formed, I'm a tad OCD. So with that said, this solution may not last long for me. Here's hoping it does.

Knowing all that about me, i was really intrigued by the bumper case. It protects the most vulnerable part of the phone, the squared off glass edges. I also fully intended on running a screen protector and just dealing with my OCDness. Now since the phone is glass back also, i wanted a screen protector on front and back. Now i am very good at applying these, so i wanted a completely clear pair for front and back, but i decided on the Zagg InvisibleShield to protect what my bumper leaves uncovered. Yes, even though it inst smooth. This may change later, but so far, i am really digging this combo. I took a few pics for anyone else contemplating the same solution.

This first set of pics is my iPhone 4 with just a basic screen protector on it waiting on my bumper and zagg shields to come in...
iPhone002.jpg

iPhone004.jpg

iPhone006.jpg

iPhone007.jpg

iPhone010.jpg

This next set is of the phone about 3 hours after the Zagg InvisibleShield was installed.
Zagg002.jpg

Zagg003.jpg

Zagg004.jpg

Zagg005.jpg

Zagg006.jpg

Zagg007.jpg

This next set is unboxing the bumper
Bumper001-1.jpg

Bumper002-1.jpg

Bumper003-1.jpg

Bumper004-1.jpg

Bumper005-1.jpg

bibbz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Then finally, with the bumper and Zagg InvisibleShield fully applied...
Bumper013.jpg

Bumper014.jpg

Bumper016.jpg

Bumper017.jpg

Bumper018.jpg

Bumper019.jpg

Bumper020.jpg

Bumper021.jpg

Bumper022.jpg

In my hand. :
Bumper023.jpg

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
Right on. I'm looking to do the same once Apple calls me that my iPhone 4 is ready. Doing a Zagg IS and a bumper. Already got the Zagg, and looked at it. I'm just going to do the back though. When you installed it, did you have any issues of the solution getting on the camera & flash? That's my main worry. Guess I'll just use a q-tip to soak any up.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
This is what I'm aiming for, but I won't use a screen protector, only a back one with a bumper.

bibbz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Right on. I'm looking to do the same once Apple calls me that my iPhone 4 is ready. Doing a Zagg IS and a bumper. Already got the Zagg, and looked at it. I'm just going to do the back though. When you installed it, did you have any issues of the solution getting on the camera & flash? That's my main worry. Guess I'll just use a q-tip to soak any up.
The back i wasnt concerned about, so it was ok.

Now the front, specifically the earpiece had me worried. i just used that as a starting point, and worked my way out front there, rather than the center like Zagg says.

falcon26

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Cool thanks for the pictures. That is pretty much exactly what I intend to do. I already have the bumper, the zagg comes on thursday. Does the Zagg mess up the pictures of the iphone at all or the flash?

bibbz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Cool thanks for the pictures. That is pretty much exactly what I intend to do. I already have the bumper, the zagg comes on thursday. Does the Zagg mess up the pictures of the iphone at all or the flash?

nope, and if its too close to the flash, you can "work" it away some.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
My solution (for now) is similar. SGP Ultra Crystal on front and back (will be replaced once they send me new one with flash cutout) and Bumper.

Downside of this solution is that the rear camera lens doesn't have enough recess from nearby surface so I need to watch out scratches more. Oh well, slight coating loss on front glass shouldn't affect picture quality so I guess I can live with that.

4736579311_3797dd97f4.jpg

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
OP, exactly what I'm doing with mine. Just finished installing the IS and waiting for it to cure over night. Then I plan on getting a Bumper this weekend.
Did you install the Complete IS or just the front and back?
I'm wondering at this point if I should email Zagg and get the side pieces as well... Worried that the Bumper will collect crap and scratch the sides.

fanth0m

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
This first set of pics is my iPhone 4 with just a basic screen protector on it waiting on my bumper and zagg shields to come in...

what is this 'basic screen protector' you are referring to? it looks like a matte screen protector, which i am desperately looking for.

i have a bestskinsever arriving soon and i plan on doing the back skin + bumper combination as well. if the bestskinsever back doesn't have the flash cut out then i intend on using an exacto to remedy the issue.

mer4343

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Wish I had done the same thing sooner. :( My iP4 screen now has a gash in it so deep you can run your fingernail through it. It's only about a 1/4" long, but I have no idea what caused it. I have never scratched a phone screen before and I'm easy on my phones.

I will be ebaying this one and getting a new one that will have an IS and bumper installed the minute it comes out of the box!!! Nice pics---thanks for posting!:apple:

thetonyclifton

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2006
Belfast - UK
what is this 'basic screen protector' you are referring to? it looks like a matte screen protector, which i am desperately looking for.

i have a bestskinsever arriving soon and i plan on doing the back skin + bumper combination as well. if the bestskinsever back doesn't have the flash cut out then i intend on using an exacto to remedy the issue.

Griffen sell matte screen protectors in a set of 3 - I bought them to tide me over as I usually love matte screen protectors - but in this case I think they have a detrimental effect on the new screen - I also didnt like that the home button had an arch cut and not a circle. But griffen do have a matte if you have your heart set on that now.

I have the same set up as the OP at the minute - the IS went on easy - perfect install - it does have some orange peel but only when a reflection is on the screen.

I also have one of these ordered for the sides - dont like the look of the IS side panels.

il_430xN.155000739.jpg

and intend to use that and the IS with the bumper or the sena ultraslim I have ordered too.

fanth0m

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
so i've chosen the black bumper. there's that other thread with the nice white bumper photos, but the black ones ship in 5-7 days (according to the apple store site) and i'm sure that the light grey bumpers on the white ones will undoubtedly get dirty over time.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
thanks for the pics and write up. i'm leaning towards this solution as well (only with Bodyguardz for the skin). i'm still holding out to see what SwitchEasy offers though.

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
I was originally going to do this (and still might), however this doesn't give any real drop protection. I mean, if you drop this on the ground (lets say, gravel or concrete w/ pebbles on it) face down the screen is probably done for.

At least w/ a candyshell you are getting 3/4 protection.

I don't know anymore - I'm thinking about this entirely too much.

Icarumba

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Interesting...so there's no removal of the invisible shield as you put on the bumper? I purchased a ifrogz luxe..and when I try to slide it on, it also pushes the invisible shield off creating massive air bubbles.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Griffen sell matte screen protectors in a set of 3 - I bought them to tide me over as I usually love matte screen protectors - but in this case I think they have a detrimental effect on the new screen - I also didnt like that the home button had an arch cut and not a circle. But griffen do have a matte if you have your heart set on that now.

I have the same set up as the OP at the minute - the IS went on easy - perfect install - it does have some orange peel but only when a reflection is on the screen.

I also have one of these ordered for the sides - dont like the look of the IS side panels.

il_430xN.155000739.jpg

and intend to use that and the IS with the bumper or the sena ultraslim I have ordered too.

What do you have on the edges of your i4? It looks cool!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.