Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Exactly, well said Tadad, I want one small device that comfortably and full replaces a laptop and acts as a phone too.

Atrix is the first of it's kind, more advanced devices with the concept improved will follow.

How does this replace a laptop exactly? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you'd still need the dock which houses a screen, keyboard, and ports for peripherals like printers, etc.? I mean, I understand your argument that phones will get powerful enough in the future to match todays current laptops and all. However, you still have the DOCK!!! How does the DOCK make a laptop irrelevant?

So again, how does the laptop get replaced in this scenario? Seems like the only real thing getting replaced are the guts inside the laptop...everything else stays. For my money, when I'm traveling...and I have to carry a 'laptop replacement,' (i.e., DOCK) it might as well contain the guts to boot!

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
And the iPhone isn't proprietary? The iPhone is the most proprietary phone on earth. Other people have also mentioned that the Atrix docks are proprietary. You can't call out the Atrix dock for being proprietary unless you also call out the iPhone.

The fact that both are proprietary shouldn't be a factor in the least.

As of today, the iPhone isn't being touted as a full fledged computer replacement. So Apple being proprietary, yes! Begging to use the iPhone to replace the MBP...no!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.