My iPhone 4 is laggy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mobster Sauce, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Mobster Sauce macrumors member

This is really starting to piss me off. When I was on 4.0, my iPhone was so fast and smooth 100% of the time. Since 4.1, it has become laggy. I'm currently running 4.2.1 and it's still laggy.

It's not as buttery as it used to be.

This is ridiculous! It's the most current iPhone, yet it's getting slower with each update.

I just realized that some of you may have gotten your iPhone 4 AFTER 4.1 came out so you never got to experience the iPhone 4's true performance.

I can't believe that such minor updates are choking the iPhone 4 down.

Anyone else angry about this or is it just me?

Anyone wanna help me and put in some feedback to Apple to resolve this issue? www.apple.com/feedback

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

In my experience, 4.2 is much better than 4.0 ever was.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Try restoring your phone (as new, if possible)

4. Mobster Sauce thread starter macrumors member

I tried everything possible.

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Try a hammer.

6. celticpride678

If you're not dreaming, have really restored, and are not jailbreaking (and the device is still slow), bring it into an Apple Store.

Haha.

7. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I find 4.2.1 much better than 4.0. I would think your iPhone is just problematic. I echo someone else's reply and say take it to an Apple store and get a replacement.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I kinda doubt that, but since you don't say what you have tried, maybe the hammer suggestion is appropriate.

9. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I've had my iP4 from the get go and it hasn't lagged in anyway, updates or not.

10. nukem170 macrumors member

11. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Did you jailbreak it?
    If not then it doesn't make sense. So take it to the Apple Store.

12. pricej636 macrumors 6502

+1. I dont care what Apple says, when I have a bunch of crap in my "multitasking bar" my phone runs like poo.

13. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I don't know whether it makes any difference, some say it does, and some say it doesn't, but I close all my apps every day, and have never had any lag problems.

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

+1 - Angry Birds (have you heard of it?) was laggy for me and the Genius told me to close all my apps and then turn the phone off and back on. That solved my problem so I'm in the habit of doing it at least once a week.

I'm still waiting for the option to turn off multi-tasking. :mad:

15. megsalias macrumors regular

I noticed that mine has started to lag too. It will just hang up every so often...just for a split second, but didn't do that before. Closing out all of my apps and restarting does work, but it's annoying. I never had to do that before.

16. milani macrumors 68000

milani

It does make a difference. My buddy has a 3GS. He complained to me that his phone had gotten so slow since the (then) newest update. I asked him what he had running in the background - he didn't know what I was talking about. He was basically backgrounding every app he'd opened since the update (3 weeks prior). We closed all the apps and restarted the phone and his lag issues disappeared.

17. Mobster Sauce thread starter macrumors member

The funny thing is... I never had an issue with anything slowing down prior to 4.1 and I don't clear out my background apps because they're not supposed to be running (it's just a recent apps list) because the app's state is supposed to be frozen in memory until the next time you open it.

I'm not streaming audio either.

Like I said before... I shouldn't have to manage my running apps. Apple even said that themselves. We don't want a task manager. I don't want to have to close things after running them. Plus, that defeats the whole multitasking feature. If you close everything, then you're not multitasking.

Plus, it takes time to close all those apps and you're going to wear out your home button faster if you're constantly using the multitask bar.

I'd like the simple option of turning off multitasking. I miss having my favorites launch on a double-click anyway.

18. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

if you jb, you can disable it

19. dave420 macrumors 65816

That's not necessarily true. It is true that one state an app can leave is that it is frozen for later, but there are others. Apps can continue processing or downloading content for ten minutes in the background. Also VOIP apps like Skype can continue to do work in the background.

20. Mobster Sauce thread starter macrumors member

I'll list all of the apps I have.

Reeder
    Twitterriffic
    TomTom USA (I almost never run this and when I do, I quit it when done)
    Cut the Rope

The rest are Apple supplied. Out of the Apple apps, I only use the following:

Safari
    Mail
    Contacts
    Photos
    Camera
    Notes
    iTunes
    App Store
    YouTube
    Clock (for alarms and stuff)
    Calculator (once in a while because it's handy)

21. munmac macrumors newbie

:d