My iPhone 5 does not have LTE.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple2000, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Apple2000 macrumors member

For some reason, my iPhone 5 does not have LTE. Why is this? It just says "4g", everyone else I know it says LTE. AT&T phone, BTW.

2. CH34P3T macrumors regular

Do you have LTE coverage in your area? Is LTE enabled in your settings?

3. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Make sure AT&T has the right data plan on your account.

4. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I would double check the settings and then just contact AT&T and bring it into the store. Show them that you get no LTE on your iPhone 5 (assuming you do have LTE in the area).

5. spades1412 macrumors 6502

6. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

[​IMG]

7. wenyong88 macrumors newbie

8. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

AT&T's "4G" is not LTE. It's more like 3.5G. I hate AT&T for this. If you were in an area with LTE coverage it would say so on your iPhone 5.

9. Apple2000 thread starter macrumors member

The weird part is, a friend of mine with same Phone has it. Literally, us standing next to each other he would have LTE and I would have "4g". IT is on in settings.

10. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Do you have LTE on in your settings? Try toggling airport mode on then off. If the LTE signal is weak, it will default to 4g. You can literally take two steps and move from LTE to 4G. I think the phone is set up so that if the LTE signal is below a certain strength it reverts to 4g, even though that weak LTE signal would be faster than the strong 4g signal.

11. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

See if resetting your network settings fix it. Under settings,general, reset

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Depending on how you did your upgrade, you may not have an LTE data plan on your ATT account. Contact them and tell them you need to be moved to an LTE account. I had to do the same thing last year when the iPhone 4S moved to HSPA+

13. jigu005 macrumors member

I have the same exact problem. I have called them up a couple of times and they can't seem to figure out what is wrong. At&t set up a Case Id for me so a technician will take a look into it, but I don't really think that will solve anything.

14. KPOM macrumors G5

My guess is that AT&T hasn't provisioned your SIM card for LTE. They have had some hiccups lately in moving people over and activating new iPhones. Since the old iPhone didn't have LTE, the SIM cards were provisioned for HSPA+ and below only.

If your friend has an iPhone 5, you can try switching SIM cards. If I'm correct, then he will be able to get LTE on your phone and you won't be able to on his. If yours still doesn't work, then perhaps it's something with the phone.

15. astral125 macrumors 6502

AT&T had to "activate" LTE on my plan. I don't know why, but stop into an AT&T store and I bet you they can fix it.

16. Mikex6956 macrumors newbie

Here in all canada there is a big issue with telus/bell provider no LTE AT ALL.
    By the way 3g is very poor since i got my iphone 5 .
    Iphone 5 heating issue and battery suck too !
    Not a good deal at all !!!!

17. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Did you use your existing SIM card out of your old phone and trimmed it down to nano format or you're using the nanoSIM that came with the iPhone 5?
    If you're still using the old SIM you should go to the nearest AT&T store and swap SIM. If not, call them make sure your plan is provisioned for LTE.

Good luck.

18. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Oh nooooos! They forgot to put the LTE in your phone!

19. timborama macrumors regular

I got a new SIM from AT&T, and LTE now works. Apparently many people got "defective" sims with their new iPhone 5.

20. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Thank you, I was having a bit of trouble with something that is now fixed, and I noticed I lost my LTE. I was searching everywhere but this site (which I come to frequently) for the answer.

Thanks again!

21. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Thank you!!

22. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

This happens with AT&T because they need to provision your account to work with LTE.

I got a 5S, my daughter got a 5C, my mother in law got a 5.

All three LTE. Only my daughter with her 5C had an LTE connection. Why? The other accounts were not setup to use LTE.

I went to an AT&T store, they looked up my info, and then enabled LTE.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Were you on a voice call at the time?

The iPhone cannot do LTE and voice at the same time.

It has to revert to 3G to do simultaneous voice+data.

24. Manatlt macrumors 6502a