My iPhone 5 is fried

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mattmertz77, Jul 1, 2013.

1. mattmertz77 macrumors member

so I picked up my phone and it has a bunch of coloured bars down the side and I try to slide to unlock and it goes crazy and starts doing a bunch of random stuff. It has been acting up since I got it, it randomly freezes, the other day every time I tried to unlock it it would freeze for around 5 minutes. I dropped it a bunch of times but only once did the screen crack from dropping it. iTunes won't let me back it up because it's locked but I can't unlock it. Also I can't slide to power down. Any tips?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

This, but be prepared to cough up $200 for an OOW replacement. Because of this:

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, $229 plus tax.
    Next time try to be more careful with it.

5. mattmertz77 thread starter macrumors member

well it didn't break because I dropped it so really how can they say that? The **** phone was acting up since day one.

6. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

7. Applejuiced, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good luck telling them that when you bring in a banged up iPhone with a broken screen.
    It wasn't cause you dropped it a bunch of times. :D

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Then you should have taken it in day one. Heard of Occam's Razor? - The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

Therefore, your phone has been dropped and damaged, so the simplest explanation is that the drop caused the damage and the problems you are having. Good luck proving otherwise.

9. mattmertz77 thread starter macrumors member

"Usually" the correct one. In my case it's that I bought a piece of **** made by Apple that can't handle a two foot fall. Also thank you for saying what 6 people have already said and not answer any of my questions....

10. Shrink, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Wait...it's a piece of **** because you bought a glass front phone, dropped it more than once from a 2 foot height, and it's not working right!?:confused:

The people who have responded to your thread have answered your question...the tips they gave you were to take it in for repair, and possibly have to pay for a new **** phone.

And if it didn't work correctly prior to the drops, the response suggesting that you might have taken it in immediately seems to me to be quite correct.

A suggestion...

If you're not ready to read suggestions that don't support pre-conceived notions of what folks should say...don't ask the question.

11. mattmertz77 thread starter macrumors member

I'm talking about the people afterwards that were just restating the fact and not answering my second question which was how to back it up if it's locked and I can't unlock it. So really, they haven't totally answered my question. And yes it is a piece of **** because I dropped it from two feet and it cracked. Think about that sentence and tell me that seems strange for an $800 piece of hardware to do...

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Honestly, no sarcasm intended, I don't think that dropping a glass front piece of hardware from 2 feet onto what I assume to be a hard surface, and having it break, marks that item as poorly built, or a piece of ****, if you prefer.

And to be clear...I have no intention of defending Apple, or any other producer of electronics. But I must disagree with your evaluation of what kind of punishment a piece of glass hardware should be able to withstand without damage.

13. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

What seems strange is that you would be careless enough to drop such an expensive piece of hardware multiple times......

Grow up and take responsibility. When my wife accidentally dropped her phone, we didn't bitch and moan about it. You want a new one, Apple will give you a new one for $250.

----------

Most of the time, it depends on how you drop it and how it lands - I dropped my 5 from higher than 2 feet onto tile (dark and it slid off my iPad without a case). I thought for sure it was shattered, but alas not a scratch.

But to think that somehow, you can throw around an $800 smartphone and then whine that it doesn't work after being beaten to hell is laughable.

14. mattmertz77 thread starter macrumors member

YES YOU'RE RIGHT I did intentionally drop it, now that you mention it that was stupid of me. Wait a second maybe I accidentally dropped it? And you said yourself that you've dropped yours so not sure what that makes you if I'm careless. And I don't think it's strange that it breaks because it's made of glass, I think it's strange because it's $800 and isn't built to withstand anything. Also my sisters blackberry also has a glass front and is much more durable.

15. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Take care of your stuff. If you are a butterfingers, get a good case and/or buy AppleCare.

This is common sense stuff, really.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Others and myself did answer your question. Because the damage was done, Apple will say the drop caused the problems you are currently experiencing. As I said, if you had problems prior to the drop you should have taken it in.

Additionally, what do you expect to happen if you drop a $2000 rMBP? Its going to dent and shatter as well. So by your logic because its over $800 it shouldn't break??

17. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Ya I dropped mine once - and after that happened, it went into a nice case for protection.

What baffles me is the MULTIPLE times its been dropped. Also the fact that you think its ridiculous Apple wouldn't switch it out just because you say its been defective from the beginning.....

18. mattmertz77 thread starter macrumors member

When did I say that Apple should give me a new phone? And it baffles you that I have dropped my phone multiple times? Yes gravity is quite baffling. It's not like I'm throwing this thing against the wall for Christs sake.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant back it up in the state that is in.
    Since you cant enter the passcode you cant go any further.
    Bring it in to Apple and explain what happened. If you continue with this type of attitude that its the phones fault that broke or its Apples piece of this and that they will definitely make you pay the $229 fee if you want it replaced.
    Be nice and polite, take some responsibility for you actions and if you're lucky they might even replace it for free.
    Best of luck.

20. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

This.

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I've owned an iPhone for over 5 years now. Every iPhone since the iPhone 3G. I have NEVER, EVER dropped any one of my devices. I've never dropped any of my computers, never dropped my iPad or the dozens of other gadgets that I have owned throughout my life. Try being more careful.

22. mattmertz77 thread starter macrumors member

You should try out for NFL you have the best hands in the world. I don't care if you didn't drop your phone I dropped mine and it broke my sister has dropped her blackberry down THE STAIRS many times and it has never broke. What does that say.

23. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Offensive sarcasm from someone in your position is horribly out of place. It doesn't matter if your sister dropped her blackberry down the stairs without it breaking, you are not your sister and her blackberry is not your iPhone.

24. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If you drop expensive glass dishware down the stairs it will break. If you drop a paper plate from WalMart down the stairs it will not break.

Quality products are made from quality materials, which are often more fragile. Are you saying a paper plate should be worth more than glass dishware?

Point is, accidents of course do happen. If you find you are more prone to accidents, it only makes sense to beef up your protection, an insurance policy.

As others have said, if you had problems before dropping you definitely should have taken it in. Now, Apple is fully within its rights to declare that any issues are as a result of the drops.

I would take it in, explain what has happened to it, the problems starting before any damage, and take responsibility for the drops. Be polite, and hopefully you'll get lucky and they'll swap it for free. Not incredibly likely, but being polite can go a long way.

25. mattmertz77 thread starter macrumors member

I'm pretty sure that blackberries are quality products too and they don't break when they are dropped out of a pocket, also I'm not "prone" to accidents my phone was in my pocket WITH a case on it so I don't think it's my fault that the screen was cracked. You're response has nothing to do with my question, so if you're not interested in helping me I'm not interested in what you have to say. Also if I threw a diamond down the stairs and some glass dishware, which one would break? The dishware. But I thought you said high quality products are more fragile?

----------

IM NOT MY SISTER??????????????????? thanks for clarifying that:)!!!!!!!!!!!!