My iPhone 5S is totally dead

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peter5s, Jul 7, 2014.

1. peter5s macrumors newbie

Hey guys! Just signed up in the forum. I hope you can help me.

Well, I bought an iPhone 5S three weeks ago but I broke the carger that goes with the phone. The cable worked 4 days so I bought a cheap cable (It wasn't actually cheap. I live in Venezuela and there aren't original cables in stores and even the cheap/3rd party ones are really expensive). It said "This accesory may not be supported" so I found a way to make it work, plug the cable into the iphone, turning off the phone and wait for it to charge. It charged like 30% or so and when it totally drained the phone won't charge at all. It doesn't even show the charging symbol so it's totally dead.

I read information in a lot of places- They told me to put the device in DFU mode... didn't work. I thought that the battery was so drained that I had to wait a whole day and wait it to charge... it didn't. A friend of mine with an iPhone 5 lend me her original cable, it didn't work. An iPhone 5C original cable didn't work either (which I guess it's the same lightning cable but it was worth the try)

So it doesn't charge even with original cables so it could be my lightning/headset port OR the battery. As you may know, there is not Apple Stores here either, only 3rd party repair stores but I'm afraid I lose my "warranty". So I drove 3 hours to the store I bought the iPhone and the seller told me I had to sent the phone via DHL to the company who brought the phone to my country (which isn't Apple). I don't want to since it scares me to never see my phone again.

I read somewhere I could be the "U2 IC chip" but I'm not sure either.

What can I do? What do you think it's exactly the problem?
    **Sorry if you didn't understand some words, english is not my main language.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

From the sounds of it there is a problem with the phone. Did you buy it new and it is under warranty? If so they will exchange it. Either way you need to get to an Apple store if you have one near you. If not check the Internet to see what Apple users should do for service in your country.

3. peter5s thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems like it's under warranty but I don't know if that warranty is with Apple. I have to send the phone to some export-phones company to see what the could do... but if I send it I'm afraid they keep my phone since they're not Apple. I have a lot of trust issues.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

Is it possible the lightning port on the phone is dirty?

5. peter5s thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about that, too. But seriously, the phone is 2-3 weeks.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It must be sad to live in a country where you would have trust issues with a phone company. Did you buy it from these people? If so it is likely not under warranty.

Sorry for you loss.

7. peter5s thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not a carrier where I bought the phone from. I bought it from a virtual shop (like eBay but a different store)

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Call Apple and send it to them. Due to the manufacturing date of your iPhone 5S, it HAS to be within its year's warranty. If you can call them, this will be your best bet.

9. peter5s thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh. Interesting.

Can I call Apple and explain them the issue, send them my phone and pay for a fix if possible even if I'm not from the U.S.? I don't have a "bill"

10. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Just say it's dead -- I wouldn't mention anything about an unofficial adapter though. Apple's warranty is global so don't worry about an invoice or proof-of-purchase. As mentioned, there's physically no way it can be more than a year old.

11. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Take it to Miracle Max - it may be only "mostly dead."

12. peter5s thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't called Apple yet, I'll call them tomorrow.

To make it simple, I guess I have these options:

1) Change the battery: I read that if you swap your battery with another one with charge, the device is supossed to work but the problem will still be there when the battery drains.

2) Change the lightning port: I'm not so sure about this, but it could be an option maybe?

3) Buy a new "u2 IC": It seems that due to the 3rd party charger I used, this chip could have been broken. I found this chip in eBay from China for 18$ but it's hard to replace because it's located on the motherboard.

-- I'm not sure about any of this, I repeat. These are just opinions I found on the internet about the issue but if I chose one of them, my device would be opened and I'd lose my warranty.

not funny

13. ourmountain macrumors regular

None of those are viable for the end user. Call Apple. They have 24hr service lines. Explain that your phone is dead, won't charge, and get a replacement for free.

As for the charger, return the POS knock off that you bought and buy a legitimate Apple charger, even if you need to import it.

14. peter5s thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked up the infomation on https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do and it says:

(In green)Valid Purchase Date

(In yellow)Telephone Technical Support: Expired

(In green)Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

(In yellow)Eligible for the AppleCare Protection Plan

The estimated Expiration Date is 27 March 2015

I clicked on the button and it gives me a lot of options: Send it for service, contact Apple support (chat/call/schedule a call) or take in for a service.

I'd go with the warranty but I don't have any buy-proof as I said... and I don't live in U.S.

Can I send my phone from Venezuela via DHL or Zoom, FeedEx or whatever? O I must go to U.S.?

15. cnotes2019 Suspended

You don't have to live in the US. support is global just not in your country I suppose. Send it in for repair and it will be sent to whatever Apple repair location/country that handles repairs for your country.

16. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It's an Apple phone they put a 1 year warranty on all of their phones. It doesn't matter where you bought it.

----------

First thing you should do is buy applecare+ NOW. Then get it serviced by apple.

17. peter5s thread starter macrumors newbie

Another thing... My iPhone is locked to T-Mobile and I have a hardware-unlock so the phone is jailbroken. Does that matter? I could send them the phone without the sim card and they wouldn't notice I guess. At the end of the day, the phone won't turn on and I hadn't changed anything visually.

- When I click on Extend your coverage with Apple Care it says "We're sorry, but an AppleCare agreement for this product is currently unavailable for purchase in your country."

18. Gathomblipoob, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Get a sense of humor. Just trying to lighten things up a bit.

19. ourmountain macrumors regular

I hate to be blunt, but you're literally wasting your time here. Just make the call already and get this resolved. You can go call right now, and they'll literally organize EVERYTHING for you.

People here on MacRumors are great for getting some quick advice, but you've gotten it, and need to follow through with Apple to get your repair.

Good luck!

20. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Princess Bride humor is always funny :) :D :p

21. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Thank you. I'm glad someone got it. :D

22. I7guy macrumors G5

Jailbreak is an issue, apple most likely will not service the phone if they have to load diagnostics.

23. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Stop giving the OP doubts! We've already ascertained he needs to call Apple, they'll sort it from there and any charges will be better than the alternative of shipping it off to a dodgy third-company and never seeing it again.

OP, make the damn call to Apple and stop worrying.

24. I7guy macrumors G5

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-spanish-l.html

Not about giving OP doubts, OP should know what is what.

25. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

As you wish