My iPhone 6 got shot with a gun...will apple replace it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleJuiceBox, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleJuiceBox macrumors member

So last night, my ****** friend shot my iPhone 6 with his weird hunting gun (without my consent)..So it made a big dent on the back of the phone (attached picture). I was wondering if apple geniuses would replace it..?

I do have apple care +. Although, I have already used one of my accidents when I dropped my phone a couple of month ago. I want to keep my last accident...just to feel safer. So to rephrase my question: Is there a way to get my phone exchanged with a new one without using my Apple Care + last accident??

And there is a distortion on the screen, like a little dot that looks taller and brighter than the rest of the screen..

What I was thinking, if to come in the store and tell them there a weird dot on my screen and pretend that I dont know about the huge dent under my cover...and then if my planets to the replacement they see the dent, I would act surprised....?

Anyone has a better plan?

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Attached Files:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ask yourself.
    Is shooting a phone a manufacturers defect?
    If you answer no then you will have to pay.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

They can potentially replace it as an out of warranty replacement that costs a few hundred dollars (again if you don't want to use your Apple Care).

4. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

You've suggested that you plan to lie and con them into offering a replacement.

They should charge double to people who do that.

I suggest you start by being honest. And ask them what your options are.

5. cynics macrumors G3

And enters why many none gun owners have low opinions of gun owners. (sigh). That was some sort of a air rifle btw even a .22 short would punch a hole in an iPhone.

Your best bet it to hold your hillbilly friends beer while he buys you an out of warranty replacement.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sounds like your idiot friend should be buying you an out of warranty replacement.

8. AppleJuiceBox thread starter macrumors member

ok ok...to be honest, I didn't realize I was being totally "dishonest" and "coning them" but yeah, that maybe not the best option..

But if I told them the truth and all, Is there any chance they would replace it without charging me?

I mean, if theres a white spot on the screen, will they directly associate it with the dent on the back??

9. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

10. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I thought Apple plus was an insurance and covered accidental damage?

Anyway, friend shot it, friend pays for it.

11. Happy Snowman macrumors newbie

Happy Snowman

No, Apple is not responsible for accidental damages.

Did you buy insurance through your mobile provider as well? If so, that might cover damages.

12. Cozmosis macrumors member

Cozmosis

no, they're not going to replace a phone with a gunshot wound

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You didn't realize? comeon...

Yes, they will associate it. Feel free to try but honestly, expect to be mocked at once you leave the stored be "a story" for employees....

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like none of that has come up.

15. AppleJuiceBox thread starter macrumors member

ok, seems like im going to have to use my last Apple Care+ Accident thing....I let you guys know what happens after I go to the Store today

I did tell my friend to pay for it but he is being a complete a$$ about it...I need to start hanging out with better people

16. cynics macrumors G3

It was my prejudice of irresponsible gun owners speaking out of turn. You have to admit the elephant in the room though.

"Hey, will Apple warranty cover small caliber firearm damage?"

"Nah"

:D:D

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Could easily be "my friend hit it with a small hammer" or something like that. Not sure how much of an elephant the gun part of it is in this "room", around these parts it's really more about the part of trying to get Apple to cover personal damage in some way.

18. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I didn't even notice the dent till you said something but this white spot is bugging the heck outa me...

19. AppleJuiceBox thread starter macrumors member

lol your kidding right?

20. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

21. AppleJuiceBox thread starter macrumors member

amen

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

He was simulating your "surprise" when the apple genius would point out the dent. Your reaction of "your kidding right" is exactly the reaction the genius would have.

23. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Apple Care Plus will cover it, but he doesn't want to use his last "accident" as per the post.

That being said, OP, you might just have to use your last accident.

24. cynics macrumors G3

Then let me rephrase, it was probably my prejudice toward irresponsible gun owners as a gun owner. Lets start over though...

Lets keep in mind this as described by the OP is a felony (maybe a misdemeanor depending on state) and a jailable offense (this applies to high powered hunting air rifles too). Thats the elephant in the room I mentioned.

On topic, the OP is going to use AppleCare+ for its ACCIDENTAL damage coverage. Although they likely will, AppleCare+ doesn't have to cover because its INTENTIONAL damage. The legal coverage for this would be through the court system vs abusing AppleCare+.

You even said it too....Say I were to smash your phone with a hammer. Thats not AppleCare+'s problem. *I* would be responsible for repairing it, not AppleCare+.

25. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Why would anyone shoot an iPhone, still trying to think about that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.