Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drakeshipway

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Oakville, Ontario
iPhoneProConcept-1.jpg

take note:
- keyboard (obvi)
- scrolling keys (beside space bar) for up and down movements
- no command key for copy and paste ;) haha

hope you likee

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
it would make it fat ;)

sadly your design is not pratical, explain to me how you would press the 1 key without switching your phone on silent ?

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
it would make it fat ;)

sadly your design is not pratical, explain to me how you would press the 1 key without switching your phone on silent ?
Slight correction;
sadly your design is not practical, explain to me how you would press any of the keys on the top row with out hitting a switch or the phone?

and the scroll keys by the space bar are gonna get in the way...

Nice mock up but as others have said keyboard = not pro.
I'd say keyboard = beginner so we currently have the 'Pro' ! :D

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
we dont need a real keyboard.

a better mock up would a iphone with 2 screens that closed like clamshell.

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
Please ignore my super crappy photoshop skills :/

Anyway, If apple would put a slideout keyboard on the iPhone, they should have physical keys, but instead of having the letters painted on the keys, the keys are transparent and they have tiny LCDs behind them that can allow the physical keyboard to have similar flexibility towards the onscreen keyboard.

Similar to the Optimus Maximus:
http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 131

c43amg

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
iPhoneProConcept-1.jpg

take note:
- keyboard (obvi)

hope you likee

THAT IS AWSOME! And to avoid hitting the keys when typing as someone pointed out, just make the keyboard slide out on the other side!

I would LOVE to have an iphone like this. I think even more people would buy an iphone, which doesn't matter anyway.

Nice job drakeshipway!

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
The whole idea behind iphone is not having a keyboard...
We're trying to ged rid of keyboards here (THINK DIFFERENT)

I am waiting for an apple tablet (no keyboard)..... Iphone UI is beautifully designed, you get your keyboard on the screen when you need it... WE DON"T NEED NO STINKING KEYBOARD !!!

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
No thanks! The iPhone was made to NOT have a keyboard... Apple doesn't like phones with physical keys, so this would be a HUGE step backward.

Espo

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
NY
No thanks! The iPhone was made to NOT have a keyboard... Apple doesn't like phones with physical keys, so this would be a HUGE step backward.

I remember reading that they are doing some testing w/ keypads.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Why would yo have scrolling keys when you can more easily scroll on the TOUCHSCREEN with your finger? The whole point of the iPhone was a touchscreen that revolutionized the cell industry and look what happened? Everyone is trying to copy the iPhone, if you add a keyboard it isnt an iPhone. Sorry that is a horrible idea and this thread is full of fail

Sep 13, 2008
failboat2.jpg

I'm not even gonna start my rant. iPhone, with a physical keyboard, is just one big fat piece of no.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
iPhoneProConcept-1.jpg

take note:
- keyboard (obvi)

hope you likee

When everyone is making these mockups, why is everyone putting the silver trim around the keyboard as well? That makes the iPhone, 1 ugly, and 2 thicker.

Just remove the trim on the left and right, and where the volume is, make it come down with the keyboard...

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
im fine with the keyboard as it is but seriously apple...steve...
PLEASE GIVE ME A SAFARI-LIKE LONG KEYBOARD IN MY TEXT/EMAIL!

kdarling

macrumors P6
I am waiting for an apple tablet (no keyboard)..... Iphone UI is beautifully designed, you get your keyboard on the screen when you need it... WE DON"T NEED NO STINKING KEYBOARD !!!

How ironic. Bill Gates has been touting the benefits of touch tablets with onscreen keyboards and/or handwriting recognition for many years, and now Apple fans say he's right?

Ever used a tablet? Try doing large reports typing on a touchscreen. Woof. :)

Just because touch works well on a small device, doesn't mean it's perfect everywhere, despite what we see on Star Trek.

Why would yo have scrolling keys when you can more easily scroll on the TOUCHSCREEN with your finger?

Perhaps you don't do much on yours.

Scrolling through long web pages or documents is a true pain on the iPhone. If not physical cursor keys, then an on-screen button or scrollbar would be very beneficial. In all the touch projects I've done where I've included fingertip scrolling, I've always also supported key-based scrolling. It's a ton easier in many cases, especially with one-handed operation.

The whole point of the iPhone was a touchscreen that revolutionized the cell industry and look what happened? Everyone is trying to copy the iPhone, if you add a keyboard it isnt an iPhone. Sorry that is a horrible idea and this thread is full of fail

Touchscreen phones have been around a very long time.

The main point of the iPhone was to simplify the UI.

As for adding a keyboard... Rumors of Jobs showing off keyboard equipped prototypes

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
So let me get this straight:

Let's make the iPhone thicker with more parts that can break and a keyboard that must use preset keys and not change with, oh, languages and use because that makes it so much better. Hmm.

My line of thinking is there are two sets of people that think phones *must* have physical keys. 1) 13-year-olds who send 80 text messages per second and probably throw the phone when playing Scrabble because it won't let them play "OMG", "IDK", and "LOL!" 2) People who think a phone is supposed to be a full-featured laptop that magically has everything a MacBook has in something the size of a sponge.

I will be the first to tell you I haven't used a smartphone with a physical keyboard. Well, at least for more than a few minutes. I messed around with a friend's BlackBerry -- which she loves -- just to see what it was all about. I honestly couldn't even figure out how to use the simplest thing on it. All those damn keys are about the size of Lincoln's nose on a penny and have 16 things written on them. I guarantee you that more than 99 percent of people who pick up an iPhone can at least figure out where the phone function is within 10 seconds. Without the keys, there's more room on a screen to throw the stuff right in your face (a big PHONE icon).

</rant>

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
no, i dnt like it.

moving parts=more breaks and imagine an iPhone that breaks more then the currant one:p

a holographic key board would be cool. One that projects a full size keyboard on to a desk and functions as a normal keyboard.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Yes but not multi-touch.

You mean using more than one finger? True, but how often do we use it? I only do when I need to zoom in on a piece of web page, and there are other gestures that work one-handed.

My line of thinking is there are two sets of people that think phones *must* have physical keys.

My thinking is that some people see only in black and white, while the world is actually shades of grey :) Just like the HTC Diamond series, there can always be two models, one with a keyboard and one not. It's called "having a choice", and while it's not exactly something Apple likes to give, it's a pretty neat concept.

what about a " add on" keyboard from 3rd party´s ?

It'd be nice if Apple supported Bluetooth keyboards.

a holographic key board would be cool. One that projects a full size keyboard on to a desk and functions as a normal keyboard.

Kind of like this one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.