Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
He’s already mentioned litigation. I think it’s pretty obvious he’s just posturing and thinks he can use this thread as some kind of “evidence.”
Well if he wants to do any of that he’s going to have to prove there was no mishandling and that the phone was in fact defective and I don’t think based on what he has said that he’s not partially at fault.

Reactions: macintoshmac

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Posting here is the worst thing you could have done. If this really happened, the best thing would have been to contact a Personal Injury Attorney (or several) and take their advice - which would almost certainly start with #1, "keep your mouth shut".

It appears there was not significant personal injury. But there certainly COULD HAVE BEEN had the circumstances (which still have not been explained in ANY detail) been even slightly different. If this happened, there was opportunity for serious damage threatening life and property. The potential for serious injury - even though luckily there was no serious injury - might have been enough for recovery of damages including perhaps punitive (if negligent on the part of Apple) considerably beyond replacement of the phone.

I am a bit surprised that most here seem concerned only that OP have his phone replaced. That is the LEAST of responsibility here, if this happened.

The fact that OP is a regular, and not a newbie gives some credence to the story. But it is suspicious that there is so little - in fact almost no - detailed information about the circumstances. OP has not mentioned:

- where the phone was when this happened. In his pocket? On a charger? In a drawer? Laying on a surface in his home?

- what action he took to protect himself at the time of the incident

- a description of any sounds that were heard. "sizzling"? An explosive sound? A "pop"?

- how and why he just happened to have another camera/phone on his person to record the aftermath (LOL, it would have been TOO obvious to have shown the actual explosion or whatever...)

OP has been evasive of every question asked, not really answering any question. That's the main reason I think for the doubt of the story here. He's basically gone around in clueless circles on any question asked.

This certainly is scary! I've had a couple of much less dramatic incidents:

- Late 2008 aluminum Macbook bulging battery, pushed out the back cover a bit. (Back when you could replace your own battery just by opening a hatch!) But that was it, just a bulge with no thermal event.

- Left an ARDrone battery in the charger for an extended period. The charger SHOULD have shut off! One morning I noticed a little back mark on the wall, and the battery was bulged. There must have been some thermal event, which caused the black mark.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Posting here is the worst thing you could have done. If this really happened, the best thing would have been to contact a Personal Injury Attorney (or several) and take their advice - which would almost certainly start with #1, "keep your mouth shut".

It appears there was not significant personal injury. But there certainly COULD HAVE BEEN had the circumstances (which still have not been explained in ANY detail) been even slightly different. If this happened, there was opportunity for serious damage threatening life and property. The potential for serious injury - even though luckily there was no serious injury - might have been enough for recovery of damages including perhaps punitive (if negligent on the part of Apple) considerably beyond replacement of the phone.

I am a bit surprised that most here seem concerned only that OP have his phone replaced. That is the LEAST of responsibility here, if this happened.

The fact that OP is a regular, and not a newbie gives some credence to the story. But it is suspicious that there is so little - in fact almost no - detailed information about the circumstances. OP has not mentioned:

- where the phone was when this happened. In his pocket? On a charger? In a drawer? Laying on a surface in his home?

- a description of any sounds that were heard. "sizzling"? An explosive sound? A "pop"?

- how and why he just happened to have another camera/phone on his person to record the aftermath (LOL, it would have been TOO obvious to have shown the actual explosion or whatever...)

OP has been evasive of every question asked, not really answering any question. That's the main reason I think for the doubt of the story here.

- Late 2008 aluminum Macbook bulging battery, pushed out the back cover a bit. (Back when you could replace your own battery just by opening a hatch!) But that was it, just a bulge with no thermal event.

- Left an ARDrone battery in the charger for an extended period. The charger SHOULD have shut off! One morning I noticed a little back mark on the wall, and the battery was bulged. There must have been some thermal event, which caused the black mark.
He is barely a “regular,” and a significant portion of his started threads are trying to figure out how to get Apple to pay for his OCD in regards to his batteries and devices. Take a look for yourself.

Last edited:

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis

OP has been evasive of every question asked, not really answering any question. That's the main reason I think for the doubt of the story here.

Wow ARdrones must have some low quality batteries mine went up in smoke like that as well!

Reactions: jtara

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
This one takes the cake.

It would be broken prior by.... being broken prior. As in "it was already broken". "Something happened to it before this happened." "It sustained some damage or abuse in the past."

"How could" that have occurred? Many ways, geez.
Just avoiding obvious questions that he could incriminate himself with.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Wow ARdrones must have some low quality batteries mine went up in smoke like that as well!

Was interesting to see the innards of the battery.

As I recall, there was a foil or mylar "packet" inside the hard plastic. Pretty sure it was intact - that is, there was no gel, liquid, etc. (but really I have no idea what is inside the packet, so not sure if I should have been expecting a gel/liquid... oozing out.) But it was certainly bulged. The packet material must have some elasticity. I just don't remember if there was any indication of where/how the black mark on the wall came from. It was minor, and I cleaned it off with household cleaner, and maybe a magic eraser.

It's a common kind of battery used in RC models, etc. I'm sure there are others here who will be more familiar with the construction and how common incidents are and how much if any damage they cause.

I was left with the impression that the packaging "did it's job".

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m not convinced the OP did this on purpose, but I would not be posting a thread about this either, when I would just strictly work with Apple directly, as they want to obviously capture the device for their engineer team to possibly determine what happened and move to a resolution. Either way, at least no one was allegedly injured out of this situation.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018

Having pending litigation dragging on for years takes a toll on you if you're an individual against the world's largest corporation. Hard to even sleep at night sometimes considering it's you and your PI attorney vs. Richie Rich BigLaw LLP. Even if you're in the right.

I'd be satisfied if Apple replaced my phone no questions asked. Now if they didn't, lawsuit it is

Reactions: Newtons Apple

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Peo
Having pending litigation dragging on for years takes a toll on you if you're an individual against the world's largest corporation. Hard to even sleep at night sometimes considering it's you and your PI attorney vs. Richie Rich BigLaw LLP. Even if you're in the right.

I'd be satisfied if Apple replaced my phone no questions asked. Now if they didn't, lawsuit it is
People also have to understand the risk involved with using tech. Batteries fail batteries explode things happen. It’s like driving a car every time you drive there is risk l.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
@dkupras would you kindly help the thread by posting your response to the very valid questions being asked here?

1. Where are the shards of the broken glass?
2. What was the phone doing at the time this happened?
3. Were you using a wireless charger? Which one?

Short of these responses, I think people have wasted enough time over this, and should stop responding.

Reactions: decypher44

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I’m not saying the OP did this on purpose, but I believe what @iApplereviews and @jtara are saying is that the OP made a sensationalist and accusatory thread (after a history of creating threads that repeatedly try to get Apple to pay for his devices), and has provided almost no details or explanations for a variety of inconsistencies.

I’m not calling him a liar; I’m just saying he’s not acting like someone who’s being truthful.

Also, while every “thermal event” is certainly unique, here are some pics of previous public iPhone battery failures, and the OP’s still seems inconsistent IMHO.

8E19403A-2111-4910-A98C-94976AB0EA65.jpeg 2A2EBA37-C17C-4700-97DC-BD4733832ADD.jpeg 88A0EB91-3BF7-45EA-AFC0-304479E9A7A3.jpeg 1FFFA48D-34FF-40DF-8140-3D911F12F50E.jpeg E1A31C8D-F03C-428E-896A-AC9B03D11C0F.jpeg

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Because if OP was using his iPhone as intended this obviously should not have happened. If there were modifications we shouldn’t even be having this discussion.

I cannot, and neither can you, provide a precise diagnostic of why that iPhone went bust. If that happened with normal usage Apple had better replace that phone ASAP or risk a lawsuit. In some parts of the US you can bet a complaint would be ready, printed and signed before that iPhone cooled down.
Being a keyboard tough guy on forums is quite different from talking with a customer service rep. One just makes you look stupid the other, well same thing.

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
You need to take this to Apple ASAP! If the store doesn't do anything for you (which I find highly unlikely), call up Applecare and keep elevating until you get someone who takes you seriously. Do not pay a cent for an out of warranty replacement. Apple is probably going to send this back to their engineering team and will (hopefully) give you a new phone. Maybe even push them to upgrade you to an XS.

Couple questions:

What charger(s) and cables have you used with it?
Has it been dropped or exposed to liquid?

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
At first, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. I’ve seen photos (not in person) of battery explosions and some would be consistent with what was provided here.

HOWEVER, the guy won’t answer any direct questions. Was it on a charger? If so, what type and brand of charger? If not, where was it? What happened to some of the glass that seems missing? And then add in his previous posts...well, can’t support someone with all of that in the air.

dkupras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2017
He’s already mentioned litigation. I think it’s pretty obvious he’s just posturing and thinks he can use this thread as some kind of “evidence.”

Never intended to go any legal route rather see why this happened. Interesting how assumptions can easily be made.
[doublepost=1548101096][/doublepost]
At first, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. I’ve seen photos (not in person) of battery explosions and some would be consistent with what was provided here.

HOWEVER, the guy won’t answer any direct questions. Was it on a charger? If so, what type and brand of charger? If not, where was it? What happened to some of the glass that seems missing? And then add in his previous posts...well, can’t support someone with all of that in the air.

Regular power supply no third-party equipment of any kind.
[doublepost=1548101163][/doublepost]
You need to take this to Apple ASAP! If the store doesn't do anything for you (which I find highly unlikely), call up Applecare and keep elevating until you get someone who takes you seriously. Do not pay a cent for an out of warranty replacement. Apple is probably going to send this back to their engineering team and will (hopefully) give you a new phone. Maybe even push them to upgrade you to an XS.

Couple questions:

What charger(s) and cables have you used with it?
Has it been dropped or exposed to liquid?

The default Apple Charger and lightning cable
[doublepost=1548101387][/doublepost]
I’m not saying the OP did this on purpose, but I believe what @iApplereviews and @jtara are saying is that the OP made a sensationalist and accusatory thread (after a history of creating threads that repeatedly try to get Apple to pay for his devices), and has provided almost no details or explanations for a variety of inconsistencies.

I’m not calling him a liar; I’m just saying he’s not acting like someone who’s being truthful.

Also, while every “thermal event” is certainly unique, here are some pics of previous public iPhone battery failures, and the OP’s still seems inconsistent IMHO.

View attachment 816762 View attachment 816763 View attachment 816764 View attachment 816765 View attachment 816766

When have I ever tried to have Apple Pay for anything? All my posts are either questions, comments and or concerns based on a forum who has always helped.

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis

View attachment 816762 View attachment 816763 View attachment 816764 View attachment 816765 View attachment 816766
Not saying it didn’t happen but IMO based on what he has shared and how he is answering/not answering questions I believe there is more to it than it caught fire/exploded under normal use/circumstances.

dkupras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2017
@dkupras would you kindly help the thread by posting your response to the very valid questions being asked here?

1. Where are the shards of the broken glass? - After the back burned it broke into pieces/shards
2. What was the phone doing at the time this happened? - Running normally
3. Were you using a wireless charger? Which one? - No wireless charger

Short of these responses, I think people have wasted enough time over this, and should stop responding.

If this was a defect than so be it, the intention of the post was to gather insight and of course with that territory comes questions all of which I was able to answer. I'm not trying to waste anybody's time it was just the first time this happened to me.
[doublepost=1548101699][/doublepost]
Not saying it didn’t happen but IMO based on what he has shared and how he is answering/not answering questions I believe there is more to it than it caught fire/exploded under normal use/circumstances.

I believe I have answered questions as asked. We all have our own opinions. I'll update once the resolution is found and again there is no legality issues here, it's very baffling.

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
If this was a defect than so be it, the intention of the post was to gather insight and of course with that territory comes questions all of which I was able to answer. I'm not trying to waste anybody's time it was just the first time this happened to me.
I don’t understand your unwillingness to answer these questions? You say it wasn’t damaged prior but anytime someone ask how the damaged occurred without glass being seen and so on you give this generic response. Why are you just on here trying to “understand how this happened” but your refusing to give any details?
[doublepost=1548102009][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1548101699][/doublepost]

I believe I have answered questions as asked. We all have our own opinions. I'll update once the resolution is found and again there is no legality issues here, it's very baffling.
I don’t get what is so baffling to you? Batteries do this it happens

dkupras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2017
I don’t understand your unwillingness to answer these questions? You say it wasn’t damaged prior but anytime someone ask how the damaged occurred without glass being seen and so on you give this generic response. Why are you just on here trying to “understand how this happened” but your refusing to give any details?
[doublepost=1548102009][/doublepost]
I don’t get what is so baffling to you? Batteries do this it happens

What questions have I specifically not answered? Yes batteries do this but it was not from anything I had done, mishandled, etc. I'm happy to answer more, What is thought to be generic IMO really isn't but this is what I gathered. And of course when something like this happens reaching out for help isn't out of the normal.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Actually, the damage does look pretty consistent with other photos of iPhone battery thermal events - EXCEPT for the shattered glass. Other photos generally show bulged/burned/melted - not shattered - glass. Though one of the ones somebody else posted show the same circle of missing material above the charging coil. It's certainly likely the effects vary with iPhone model, as Apple keeps fiddling with different packaging materials.

Regular power supply no third-party equipment of any kind.

Still does not answer "was it on charge at the time of the event?" Another post did clarify that he has used Apple supplied power supply and lightning cable (not wireless charging).

Never intended to go any legal route rather see why this happened

If it happened to me, I would be going to legal route - at least so far as to protect my interests and options. I would not just ship the phone to Apple. I would seek advice from an attorney, and see what their advice was about shipping it to Apple - e.g. if and how and after what kind of examination from an independent expert.

OP seems strangely unconcerned about the potential for personal injury. Imagine if this had happened with the phone in your pocket!

BTW, I looked at OP's website. It it similarly devoid of any real details, and goes around in similar circles. Just an observation.

The post is useful to everyone in any case. Though rare, iPhone battery events similar to this DO happen. I used to charge my iPhone in a wardrobe drawer. Will never do THAT again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.