My iPhone X stopped working after 2 days

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cremerhm, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Cremerhm, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

Cremerhm macrumors 6502

This morning I started to use my iPhone X, which I've received on launch day last Friday.
    I've noticed that FaceID gave me the message that I had to use the passcode when the device had rebooted...didn't put much attention to it.

After checking something, I've put the phone back in the sleeve and took it a a few minutes later.
    It gave me the same message .... weird ..

Tried this a few times and saw that the phone was rebooting almost every time I took it out of the sleeve. Did a few test without the sleeve and the first tests seem t work,...but after an hour or so it started to reboot again (showing me the Apple logo). Also I had to do a hard reset a few times, because it got stuck in a boot loop.

Called Apple, did some diagnostics and they told me to install as a new device using iTunes.
    It was at the end of their working day, so the guy told me to do the fresh install and start using my device again. 10 minutes later iTunes gave me a message that recovery was not possible error 4013.
    Tried a lot of things (different MAC, download a signed IPSW, tried another USB cable ..) nothing helped.

So tomorrow I have to call them again to start a "repair proces" .. on a Dutch forum there is 1 person with the same issue. He has to wait till mid december before he will get a new X :-(

Not happy with this ..

2. mjcxp macrumors regular

The iPhone X does seem to have quite a few problems - Face ID malfunctions, unresponsive screens, vertical green lines down the screens and booting issues. I hope these issues are not widespread.

3. Damon2 macrumors regular

Do you have an Apple store near you? If so pop buy and get it replaced.

Or surely wherever you got it from should have a returns/exchange/refund policy, If its only been 2 days

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

They never are this happens every year with various aspects of the new phones.

5. Cremerhm thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course these things can happen, I know and understand that, it's a new generation of a product. I just hope apple support will be helpful and make sure I will get a new one fast...

Bought it at the online apple store, don't have a apple store near by (only authorized resellers without stock)

Was so happy with the device :-( ;-)

6. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

Had the same issue with my 7 Plus 2 months ago. Apple replaced it. I do believe they have stock available for replacing faulty devices.

7. Cremerhm thread starter macrumors 6502

I really hope so...

8. barkomatic macrumors 601

Is there any way you can borrow a phone to use for awhile OP? I don't tolerate any malfunction like that during the return period--it just goes back. Better to repurchase and not risk the same issue arising again.

9. AlexSykes macrumors member

Sounds similar to me. Mine would randomly shut down on me about 20+ times a day, I contacted Apple support this morning and their diagnosis didn’t show anything but the issue kept persisting.

I went to the appointment they made for me, and they said it’ll be logged and they changed the device for me there and then. It’s been over 6 hours so far and I’ve not had one crash, hang or restart and I’m now absolutely loving the full experience of this phone now. Was quite an annoyance having to change within just 4 days of having the phone but I think it must’ve just been my luck and I got one with hardware issues, as this one is really nice to use without having to worry that simply using the device will make it crash!

10. Cremerhm thread starter macrumors 6502

OH it is going back to Apple, no doubt. I just hope the can replace it with a new one soon.

Haven't sold my 7 Plus yet, so I still have a good device!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2017 ---
    Feels kind of comforting that more people have the same issue. Don't like the fact that I won't be able to go to a apple store because it is a two hour drive... As far as I know, the online store doesn't have devices in stock to replace defective units..

11. AlexSykes macrumors member

I was told by the store I went to that really the online store should have arranged for an expedited sealed unit to be sent to me and then hand over this one with the box and everything to the courier, since I’m in a similar situation to you with the store being over 40 miles away from me. They were very happy to offer me a replacement though, so I imagine there should be some reserved units set aside for users with potential problems.

Hope you get it sorted soon!

12. Cremerhm, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

Cremerhm thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanx a lot, I really hope this is also possible in The Netherlands. I will update this post tomorrow as soon as I've got more information.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2017 ---
    Small update: someone gave me a link for a 11.2 Beta IPSW and iTunes is able to install this one!
    No 4013 message! Hopefully the problem is solved with installing this software.

Update 2: When I got the white "welcome" screen to start the set-up, and insert the SIM card.... bootloop .. :-( so 11.2 / clean install did not solve the problem.

13. kyle0483 macrumors newbie

Well this sounds like a similar problem with mine. It shut off and got stuck in a boot loop but mine couldn’t even be recognized by iTunes when plugging in. It’s just stuck in an infinite reboot loop. Apple put a hold on my card for an express replacement so I’m hoping it’s soon and not December as you said someone else stated.

14. MaximTV macrumors 65816

MaximTV

Do you have AppleCare?

15. kyle0483 macrumors newbie

Yes I do. I’m hoping this doesn’t count against an “incident” being that it’s a manufacturing issue.

16. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

You can say the same thing about every iPhone ever released. A month ago there were these same posts going on about how the iPhone 8 was full of bugs etc...

17. Cremerhm thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, I’m sending the iPhone back to Apple today.

After a lot of hours trying to get it to work and a lot of hours on the phone the only thing I can do now is .... wait .... :-(

I will get a new one, estimated delivery date: 6 - 12 December ..really not happy .. but I can’t do anything to change it.

18. stormchasejg macrumors regular

stormchasejg

If you have an Apple store nearby take it in as others were given a replacement straight away

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Somethings are out of our control when it comes to defects with iPhones. But at least you're having it replaced, even if it means you have to wait and it inconveniences you.

20. Cremerhm thread starter macrumors 6502

The nearest Apple Store is a 1 hour drive (so two hours in total) and the Senior advisor told me he can not say for sure if they have stock in the stores for replacements. So that is not really an option.

That is true .. well spoken!

21. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

22. Cremerhm thread starter macrumors 6502

That is true .. well spo
    Sorry for the late respose, o ... i dont have Apple care

23. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

I went to my store today and when I checked in the guy said they had none available. Lo and behold I speak to my Genius rep and show him my issues and he pulls out a replacement phone from a little white box. Brand spanking new.

Apple should definitely have “replacement” (aka new) units available if you’re having an issue.

24. Lesh14 macrumors newbie

Lesh14

I’ve had a similar problem my iPhone X kept randomly rebooting for a couple of days and just yesterday it completely stopped working and I had to take it into where I got it and it was sent away and I’m either getting it fixed or a new one within 2 weeks

25. jarule macrumors member

jarule

I sometimes get yellow lines when I open up applications.