Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I can say with absolute conviction that the "SGS2 kills the iPhone on speed!!!"

Im not trying to contradict you in any way but can you tell me where the SGS2 is faster? In the side by side tests I did, many apps opened faster on the iPhone4. In fact Im probably going to add a video to my original comparisons to show this.

However there is a lot I probably havent had time to try, and I absolutely would expect the SGS2 to be faster, so can you tell me where these speed gains are noticeable because I wasnt seeing it. I can then try out your suggestions. The only time I noticed it being faster was loading the camera app.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
I thought that too until I realised I couldnt reach parts of the screen with my thumb when holding the phone in one hand. It was at that moment (and many more afterwards) that I though "okay I see" and realised I had to reposition the way I held the device to carry on doing what I was trying to do. As I said before, the search icon in the market if you hold the phone in your left hand is a good example of this.

Then it wasnt such a great idea all of a sudden.

Completely agree, I love being able to hold my phone in 1 hand and operate it 100%. Last year, when the EVO 4G came out I actually went to a Sprint store and "stress tested" the phone for this exactly. Apparently I have big hands because the guy was pretty impressed I could still reach the entire screen with my thumb, using 1 hand.

But to the above posters, it all boils down to personal preference. The only thing with me is since iOS is locked to "1" device (Apple) it's either you accept the 3.5" screen, or find another OS. Don't get me wrong, I love having such a smooth OS but Apple should at least give us a choice of a larger screen after 4 years.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
Well, you can't please everyone. You have the folks who want to do everything on the phone with one thumb (including typing, apparently) and others wanting five finger gestures (where you're forced to hold the phone with one hand, while you gesture with the other - an act that was previously doable with said thumb).

My personal opinion: if you can't live with a 3.8" screen (which is all we're likely to get), then you've got no business using a multimedia phone.

gettysburg11s

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
Great review for both handsets. I've not used a SGS2, but I did own an HTC Inspire 4G briefly, and I used to have an iPhone 4. I agree that some of the features in Android 2.2 were quite a novelty, but after a few weeks, they stopped being a novelty, and I wanted my iPhone back. Its true, the Inspire was a much tougher phone physically. The iPhone 4, while amazing, is rather fragile. Many people that have dropped it say the back glass shatters easily. Anyways, I had to go back to an iPhone. As good as Android is, its simply not iOS. I am currently using an iPhone 3GS, and I love it, though I wish I had the iPhone 4 back. It has a better camera, screen, and battery life.

superhighsen

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2010
Camera

What camera did you use in all those pictures. I sent you a private message but never got a response. If you can answer here i'd appreciate it. Camera quality looks amazing.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
What camera did you use in all those pictures. I sent you a private message but never got a response. If you can answer here i'd appreciate it. Camera quality looks amazing.

Hi sorry for the lack of reply. Its a Lumix TZ7. Its a great camera, have been getting some lovely results with it.

wade123

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
My experience switching from iPhone 4 to SGS2

I have has the 3GS and 4 but switched to the SGS2 2 weeks ago.

This is for those looking at both phones or switch from one to the other. I am not an apple or android fanboy and they both have pros and cons.

CONS OF THE SGS2

- SGS2 Icons defiantly aren't as slick, this can be fixed somewhat with folder apps. They need to be larger and have a standard shape like the iphone.

- The apps aren't quiet as smooth (probably due to android running different resolutions on many phones). There are a lot less great games (which doesn't worry me). A couple that i haven't been able to replace are TomTom and autostitch and some games. Some apps work on one android but not others. This is generally noted in the comments.

- The phone is large and needs to be held slightly differently. Its ok once you get use to it.

- iOS is simpler to use. The settings are easier to navigate but there are a lot less options so this is understandable.

- iOS is more refined on the iphone.

- notifications aren't as swish but there are a lot more options like bluetooth, wifi, gps, rotation toggles.

-The battery life is probably 70-80% of the iphone 4. Still enough for a full day unless you are a heavy user.

- While the apps are updated regularly i am not sure on the operating system. Its great with iOS to get regular updates. This said the level of customisation on android negates this a bit.

PROS OF THE SGS2

- No iTunes. its awesome to not have to sync and be locked down to 1 CPU. The SGS2 has a proper file explorer and to be able to drop and drag files. When you do connect to a CPU (wifi, bluetooth of USB) your phone becomes an external drive.

- Touch buttons beside home key. The home button on the iphone isn't great. The 2 extra buttons on the SGS2 make a massive difference. One button is to go back and one is for settings and

- THE SCREEN. the main reason i changed was the screen. 3.5 just wasn't enough and the iphone 5 will only be 3.7 or 4 inches. the SGS3 to be released early next year is tipped to be edge to edge 4.5". The resolution isn't quiet as sharp if you look really closely but the size and the color of AMOLED are great. Black is black.

- Flash is great. I no longer go to sites and cant play embedded video. (there is still 5% that dont work i.e. veetle.

- being able to plug in a usb device into the SGS2, copy files on and off etc.

- TORRENTS!! tTorrent enables me to download a torrent straight to my phone then play music, movies etc without even starting a cpu

- Customization. There are a lot more changes that can be made to the interface, home screen and lock screen. Widgets are ok but take up too much room for my liking. Toggles for bluetooth, wifi, gps & rotation on notifications are really nice.

- The camera and video are noticeably better. It has a lot more options such as scene mode, exposure, timer, resolution, white balance, iso, blink detection etc

- The android market was better than i thought. I can get everything i had on my iphone except tomtom (using navigon) and autostitch. As mentioned the games are better in iOS. The downloads in android generally seem smaller. Being able to try an app for 15min and get a refund is nice. Note, there has been a major update to the android market which looks like a major improvement, yet to get so i cant comment.

- Replaceable battery and memory card. Currently have 16gb + 32gb micro SD giving me 48gb plus i have a 128gb USB stick which i can plug straight in with a small adapter.

- The samsung version of android is pretty good. little things like contacts on home screens with quick access, slide left or right on contacts to dial or message are nice.

- The web browser is super smooth and quick and has flash but it doesn't have tabs and could be a little more user friendly.

- Has FM radio, not critical but nice

- Many ios apps are also available on android - tunein radio, ping, field runners, angry birds, mSecure, Quick office, dropbox, sugarsync etc.

- Build quality. I was very suspect on the build quality before i got the SGS2 as its all plastic and gorilla glass. However it feels rock solid, there are no squeeks, the screen is very tough and its more comfortable to hold than the iphone. The iphone is heavier and more solid however as its all glass and heavy i fell like i would rather drop the SGS2.

- Task manager on the SGS2 and app switching is a lot smoother and easier to use than the iphone.

- Price, in Australia the iphone 4 is $859 to $999 for the 32gb from apple. The SGS2 is $700-$750.

Overall they are both great phones and the iphone 5 will catch up but the SGS3 will be out early next year and be another big step forward.

I kept my iphone 4 incase i didn't like the android but after 2 weeks on the android i wont be back to iOS.

Tying the iphone to itunes is a massive pain and the whole system is to locked down and restricted by apples policies.

The SGS2 hardware is way ahead, the ios is probably less refined but allows a lot more options. Personally android was the best thing that happened to iphone users. Apple cannot afford to hold back on hardware or software updates.

The only people that i wouldn't recommend change from the iphone to the SGS2 are people who use it for lots of games or for those that aren't as tech savy and dont need all the extras.

Once again this is not beating up on either phone just giving my thoughts as a user of both phones so others can make a more informed decision.

Cheers

---------------------
Update 1:
I have just found apps called launchers. Basically you can totally change the appearance of your folders, home screen, hide apps, rename apps, change icons of theme, change grid layout (4x5, 5x5, 4x4), change the transition between pages etc. Pretty nice

Update 2:
Launchers have just changed the game. Basically the old samsung interface was a bit boring. Now with a launcher (GoLauncher) the interface looks better and is easier to use than the iphone (personal opinion). A swipe up reveals all the pages which makes widgets a lot more usable. The theme i am using is glass which looks as good the iphone.

Last edited:

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
The only people that i wouldn't recommend change from the iphone to the SGS2 are people who use it for lots of games or for those that aren't as tech savy and dont need all the extras.

How about the people in the U.S. That don't have $700+ to import one from the UK? ;)

Pisses me off that the U.S. is the very last country to get the SGSII. On top of that the SGSII will be butchered by the carriers to things like the captivate, vibrant, fascinate, etc all over again.

therationalist

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
I thought that too until I realised I couldnt reach parts of the screen with my thumb when holding the phone in one hand. It was at that moment (and many more afterwards) that I though "okay I see" and realised I had to reposition the way I held the device to carry on doing what I was trying to do. As I said before, the search icon in the market if you hold the phone in your left hand is a good example of this.

Then it wasnt such a great idea all of a sudden.

Press and hold the menu capacitive button in any app that has search function and it opens up the search box and You guessed it, including the market.

Last edited by a moderator:

virtuatony

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I have an unlocked SGS 2 imported from the UK and an iPhone 4. I don't technically have the SGS 2 right now as I lent to a co worker today as she is having iPhone trouble and would be without a phone if I didn't lend it to her.

Anyway I tried so hard to like the SGS2 but often found myself missing things about the iPhone 4 and reverting back. But I also have had some issues that didn't help the case of my switch to android/samsung.

When I first got it, it felt so much faster than the iPhone 4 especially in the browser and in general use but the battery would barely last the day. It also doesn't like the Telus HSPA+ network and it constantly disconnects and reconnects all day < annoyed me so much I stopped using it thinking updates would fix this.

*as a note the browser and OS snappiness seems to have caught up with iOS 5 beta 3

Updates came for the SGS2 and they fixed the battery drain issue for me at least and I can get battery life comparable to the iPhone now about 2 months after I got it. But it still has the painful data disconnect issue.

The main thing that keeps me from using the SGS2 is music related. The lack of being able to connect it to my car for audio output, support for the controls on my klipsch s5i headphones, CPU noise I hear from the headphone jack when using my Shure se530s. The iPhone has none of these issues and would be the main reason why I have reverted back. I will admit, I really like google music and I wish they would release an iPhone app.

I thought I could use the SGS2 as a cool little drag and drop media player since it has 16GB onboard and a 32GB SD card but while that's the case for music for HD movie files the FAT32 filesystem doesn't like file sizes bigger than 2GB this is a pain and has prevented my use for that. It's also got a killer screen and I'm obsessed with displays however while I like the size, the resolution is too low.

Touchwiz android is not as polished as iOS but it does the job, better than any other skin that isn't Sense.

I'll probably keep the SGS 2 as my android toy for now because android is only getting better and I expect most of my complaints will be resolved by ice cream sandwich and the car thing should be fixed by the official vehicle dock I ordered the other day.

But while I wait the iPhone 4 will be my primary phone.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Press and hold the menu capacitive button in any app that has search function and it opens up the search box and You guessed it, including the market.

If I cant reach certain parts of the screen without breaking the flow by having to go into a sub menu to perform a simple action then I'd say the 'user experience' has failed.

Last edited by a moderator:

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
I fail? What's that supposed to mean? If I cant reach certain parts of the screen without breaking the flow by having to go into a sub menu to perform a simple action then I'd say the 'user experience' has failed.

Don't worry about him. The guy has a grand total of 7 posts so he must be a newbie to forum etiquette/manners ;)

darthlinux

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
Loving the review, I was considering getting an SG2 coming from a HTC Desire, however I did love the Iphone 4 which I ended up getting, I will most likely look at the android phones again when I am due to upgrade, really looking forwad to seeing the new Iphone 5 and iOS 5.

I must admit I would like iOS to be abit more customizable with widgets but hey can't have the best of both worlds.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I also have used the SG2. It's biggest advantage is Android is more open than iOS. Also it is a new model where the iPhone 4 is over a year old. I suspect that the iPhone5 and iOS5 will not dissapoint!

I need better notifications, not just a screen but the ability to change the sounds and more than anything, I want a LED indicator like my Blackberry

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I want a LED indicator like my Blackberry

Id love this, such a simple but useful thing.

Id like to see it done true apple style though, concealed under the front glass so that you cant tell its there, and then pulsates slowly on/off through the glass to notify you. Now THAT would be nice!

virtuatony

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Id love this, such a simple but useful thing.

Id like to see it done true apple style though, concealed under the front glass so that you cant tell its there, and then pulsates slowly on/off through the glass to notify you. Now THAT would be nice!

It's strange that samsung didn't put an LED indicator on the GS2 there wasn't one on the GS1 either.

HTC and Motorola put LED indicators on there android phones, they are definitely useful, hopefully iphone 5 has one.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Well judging by many of the posts a lot of people found the comparison very interesting.

Besides Im not trying to impress anyone nor am I sensitive. Its merely a compilation of notes I made when testing the two side by side, nothing more.

if you dont agree that's cool with me, everyone is different. Enjoy what you have, they are both fantastic phones :)

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
I am exactly in the same boat!!

Have my SGS2 since 6 weeks now, didnt miss my iP4 one second.

I am sure i wont swith back to ios.

Launchers are great, download them, and you can customize to hell and ad functionality.
Try GO launcher, its free and very customizable light and fast.

Cheerz

This is for those looking at both phones or switch from one to the other. I am not an apple or android fanboy and they both have pros and cons.

CONS OF THE SGS2

- SGS2 Icons defiantly aren't as slick, this can be fixed somewhat with folder apps. They need to be larger and have a standard shape like the iphone.

- The apps aren't quiet as smooth (probably due to android running different resolutions on many phones). There are a lot less great games (which doesn't worry me). A couple that i haven't been able to replace are TomTom and autostitch and some games. Some apps work on one android but not others. This is generally noted in the comments.

- The phone is large and needs to be held slightly differently. Its ok once you get use to it.

- iOS is simpler to use. The settings are easier to navigate but there are a lot less options so this is understandable.

- notifications aren't as swish but there are a lot more options like bluetooth, wifi, gps, rotation toggles.

-The battery life is probably 70-80% of the iphone 4. Still enough for a full day unless you are a heavy user.

- While the apps are updated regularly i am not sure on the operating system. Its great with iOS to get regular updates. This said the level of customisation on android negates this a bit.

PROS OF THE SGS2

- No iTunes. its awesome to not have to sync and be locked down to 1 CPU. The SGS2 has a proper file explorer and to be able to drop and drag files. When you do connect to a CPU (wifi, bluetooth of USB) your phone becomes an external drive.

- Touch buttons beside home key. The home button on the iphone isn't great. The 2 extra buttons on the SGS2 make a massive difference. One button is to go back and one is for settings and

- THE SCREEN. the main reason i changed was the screen. 3.5 just wasn't enough and the iphone 5 will only be 3.7 or 4 inches. the SGS3 to be released early next year is tipped to be edge to edge 4.5". The resolution isn't quiet as sharp if you look really closely but the size and the color of AMOLED are great. Black is black.

- Flash is great. I no longer go to sites and cant play embedded video. (there is still 5% that dont work i.e. veetle.

- TORRENTS!! tTorrent enables me to download a torrent straight to my phone then play music, movies etc without even starting a cpu

- Customization. There are a lot more changes that can be made to the interface, home screen and lock screen. Widgets are ok but take up too much room for my liking. Toggles for bluetooth, wifi, gps & rotation on notifications are really nice.

- The camera and video are noticeably better. It has a lot more options such as scene mode, exposure, timer, resolution, white balance, iso, blink detection etc

- The android market was better than i thought. I can get everything i had on my iphone except tomtom (using navigon) and autostitch. As mentioned the games are better in iOS. The downloads in android generally seem smaller. Being able to try an app for 15min and get a refund is nice. Note, there has been a major update to the android market which looks like a major improvement, yet to get so i cant comment.

- Replaceable battery and memory card. Currently have 16gb + 32gb micro SD giving me 48gb plus i have a 128gb USB stick which i can plug straight in with a small adapter.

- The samsung version of android is pretty good. little things like contacts on home screens with quick access, slide left or right on contacts to dial or message are nice.

- The web browser is super smooth and quick and has flash but it doesn't have tabs and could be a little more user friendly.

- Many ios apps are also available on android - tunein radio, ping, field runners, angry birds, mSecure, Quick office, dropbox, sugarsync etc.

- Build quality. I was very suspect on the build quality before i got the SGS2 as its all plastic and gorilla glass. However it feels rock solid, there are no squeeks, the screen is very tough and its more comfortable to hold than the iphone. The iphone is heavier and more solid however as its all glass and heavy i fell like i would rather drop the SGS2.

- Task manager on the SGS2 and app switching is a lot smoother and easier to use than the iphone.

- Price, in Australia the iphone 4 is $859 to $999 for the 32gb from apple. The SGS2 is $700-$750.

Overall they are both great phones and the iphone 5 will catch up but the SGS3 will be out early next year and be another big step forward.

I kept my iphone 4 incase i didn't like the android but after 2 weeks on the android i wont be back to iOS.

Tying the iphone to itunes is a massive pain and the whole system is to locked down and restricted by apples policies.

The SGS2 hardware is way ahead, the ios is probably less refined but allows a lot more options. Personally android was the best thing that happened to iphone users. Apple cannot afford to hold back on hardware or software updates.

Once again this is not beating up on either phone just giving my thoughts as a user of both phones so others can make a more informed decision.

Cheers

---------------------
Update:

I have just found apps called launchers. Basically you can totally change the appearance of your folders, home screen, hide apps, rename apps, change icons of theme, change grid layout (4x5, 5x5, 4x4), change the transition between pages etc. Pretty nice

virtuatony

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Well judging by many of the posts a lot of people found the comparison very interesting.

Besides Im not trying to impress anyone nor am I sensitive. Its merely a compilation of notes I made when testing the two side by side, nothing more.

if you dont agree that's cool with me, everyone is different. Enjoy what you have, they are both fantastic phones :)

Exactly, I don't know why people take things so seriously, they're just phones...

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Well after my little comparison time the SGS2 has been re-homed. I wondered how I would feel once it was gone, would I regret my decision? However I can honestly say that sticking with the iPhone 4 was the way to go in my case.

The SGS2 was excellent though and I do honestly feel that if Apple's next phone is only a minor update they will begin to fall behind big time in the coming year.

For now though I feel the iPhone 4 is still the best overall smartphone experience out there, but only just.

Bonilla

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
México.
This is the most important aspects i have been read!!
I was trying to wait if i go until iphone 5 or buy right know Galaxy S2 that is ready on Mexico from Telcel.

I am using a BB Torch but i am tired of it because its lag always slow
I hate the clock!

So I finally read this aspects so I decided to give a shot S2
Today probably I will buy it.

I will tell you everyone my personal opinion about this great phone.

CONS OF THE SGS2

PROS OF THE SGS2

Cheers

---------------------
Update 1:

Update 2:
Launchers have just changed the game. Basically the old samsung interface was a bit boring. Now with a launcher (GoLauncher) the interface looks better and is easier to use than the iphone (personal opinion). A swipe up reveals all the pages which makes widgets a lot more usable. The theme i am using is glass which looks as good the iphone.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Me and my friend sold our overseas bought gs2s because the chip overheats very easily. Unless you just call, text, email a bit and browse for 1-2 mins only on 3G, it's like an oven toaster.

My friend bought a sensation instead and we ran the same apps and same videos, the phone barely even gets warm. That's sad.

Now we hear rumors about samsung made a5 chip overheating as the cause of ip5 delay. With our experience with the gs2, we tend to believe it more than the rest :p

wade123

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Phone Overheating

This must have been a dud.

My SGS2 has never had an overheating problem.

Defiantly no warmer than my iphone 4.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
This must have been a dud.

My SGS2 has never had an overheating problem.

Defiantly no warmer than my iphone 4.

I have heard of the phone getting very hot too, apparently during YouTube videos for one. To be honest though I never tested this aspect during my time with the phone so cant confirm if its true or not.

There are quite a few mentions on it on the web though.

Twe Foju

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2007
Jakarta
Good review i love it!

i am one of those who also own both SGS2 and iPhone4, i still love both, when i bought my SGS2, its' very hard for me to decide which should i bring more

but due to the weight and more space (16GB + 32GB SD Card ), i now use more of my SGS2 than my iPhone4 as a main phone

the downside of the SGS2 is simply the battery life, but other than that, i am enjoying the Gingerbread for the moment

looks like for now my iPhone4 have to sit on the bench until iPhone5 is out, then we will see if it can wins my heart back to iOS :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.