My iphone4 water sensor turn pink

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBR900RR, Jul 10, 2010.

1. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I got the iphone 4 on 6-25, and it is only 2 weeks old, the bottom moisture sensor already turn pink and the other sensor inside the headphone jack are still white, phone was never near any water source, wtf, should I report it to apple, get it exchange? What is the policy at apple, I read some post that only when both moisture sensor turn pink/red, you void the warranty.:mad:

2. macduke Suspended

macduke

Yes, you can not return your iPhone now for any reason because it is water damaged. That is what Apple will tell you anyway.

There have been a lot of complaints about this. Be careful when it's raining, or when you're exercising as sweat can get in. Otterbox makes a case that has inserts that plug into the external ports which should keep this problem from happening for those who are really concerned about it. I wish that the bumper case came with these inserts. I'd like something that matches the holes cut out on my bumper. I like to keep debris out of my ports, as well as raindrops!

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm thinking about making those cut outs from rubber myself. I'll let you know how it works out.

4. Octane19 macrumors member

This is my biggest pet peeve right now with iPhones. Like I have stated in previous posts, my 3g never saw a drop of water yet the headphone sensor is tripped. I live in SE Virginia , where the humidity is nuts but that shouldn't matter. I don't know why they continue to make these sensors hyper sensitive. I believe I have read though that both sensors need to be tripped to void the warranty. I sure hope thats the case because by not having a removable back they have to place the sensors in a very precarious position.

If you are looking for a case, Switcheasy usually provides port covers for there cases and I know the newly released Nude case does in fact come with 2 for each port.

5. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

6. jeffg819 macrumors regular

I had the same issue with one of my 3GS. The Apple genius asked me whether I took the phone into the bathroom when I showered. Had to admit he had a point. I use to do that all the time.

However, he went ahead and replaced the phone for the sensor on the bottom of the phone had not been tripped.

7. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

I've also had this happen on my BlackBerry, the phone has never been in water but the sensor has turned pink with the red X's in it, I called my network who as soon as I mention that the water sensor has turned pink just quote me that its now void of warranty and there is nothing they can do about it..... load-a-s**t if u ask me!

8. Iphone Newbie macrumors newbie

9. CBR900RR thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right now there is nothing wrong with my phone other than the death grip and yellow tint on pic I took indoor(white balance issue), which I can live with, the pink sensor did not really change anything other than a piece of mind that I might not have any warranty for the next 11 1/2 months which I doult anything would happen, I take good care of my toys.
    I only have 2 question, phone is only 2 weeks old, should I make an appointment and have apple look at it. And is it apple policy to only void warrant with 2 moisture sensor trigger but not one.
    Thanks for the reading, comment and help.

10. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

11. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

12. Blazing angel macrumors regular

if min ever gets tripped ima go free style and drip a tiny bit of white paint throught a needle at it, or ill put a see through protective thing over ot

13. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Alright so listen up. You do have some rights when it comes to this. The iPhone has 2 sensors on the outside and two on the inside. Now if they try and tell you that they won't replace your phone but there is only one outside sensor tripped you have a right to DEMAND them to check the inside two. If neither of the two inside ones have been set off then you're fine and they should go ahead and give you a new one. Typically this will only work if there's something wrong with your phone other than the water sensor.

How do I know this? Because I dropped my iPhone in a puddle and a second one in the shower. I was lucky enough that only one sensor went off (miracle) and they gave me a new one.

14. xmtgx macrumors regular

The ones that come with switcheasy cases.

15. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

16. CBR900RR thread starter macrumors 6502a

So should I report it since it is only two weeks old?

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

That's called warranty fraud.

18. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Nexus One Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I thought all of the sensors had to be tripped before warranty repair would be denied?

"Currently, if a customer takes their iPhone to an Apple Retail Store, the warranty will only be void due to liquid damage if all indicators have been triggered."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/06/iphone_problems.html?page=0

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

:eek:

20. Amon37 macrumors regular

Why in the hell did you have your phone IN the shower? :confused:

21. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Back in the day when I used cheap flip phones I used to text while in the shower or talk on the phone if a g/f called. Ever since I've used smartphones I don't even take them into the bathroom during a shower due to the water sensor.

22. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Talking on a phone while in the shower! It can wait!

23. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Only if you get caught!

Joking :p

24. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

There have also been many reports of iPhone sensors turning pink just because of humidity in the air. IMO, it's a flawed implementation. But it gives Apple a good excuse not to honor AppleCare.