Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There have also been many reports of iPhone sensors turning pink just because of humidity in the air. IMO, it's a flawed implementation. But it gives Apple a good excuse not to honor AppleCare.
While it appears to be worse for the IP4, prior phones seemed to have issues with the sensor going south when the phones were not actually subjected to water.

I remember a lot reports of people using their phones during or after a workout and their sweaty hands or heads tripped the sensor.

While I can understand apple putting those sensors in (though I disagree with it), they should have have put them deeper into the phone and make them less sensitive to ambient humidity.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
There have also been many reports of iPhone sensors turning pink just because of humidity in the air. IMO, it's a flawed implementation. But it gives Apple a good excuse not to honor AppleCare.

Yep. I would only bleach it if it hadnt even been touched be water.

megax

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2007
My bottom water sensor was tripped and the damn thing hasn't been near water the only thing I can think of it has been blazing hot in NYC this past week and I've been in and out the subway.

smf72

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Tripped Sensor

The cup holder in my car with a starbucks Ice Tea tripped my sensor, I have a replacement coming from apple since I dont want to deal with the genius bar in CT. What is likely hood they will only charge me 199.00. Everything else works perfect and the headphone sensor is fine.

iCandii

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Back in the day when I used cheap flip phones I used to text while in the shower or talk on the phone if a g/f called. Ever since I've used smartphones I don't even take them into the bathroom during a shower due to the water sensor.

i put mine in a ziplock bag if its in the bathroom with me, bc i tend to take very hot showers hehe :)

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
I went down to the apple store today and show them my pink water sensor, first the lady said they won't swap it out because of the trip sensor, than they plug in my phone to one of the computer and run some dianostic test, ask me if my apps crash alot, than she said she wiil take it to the back room and do a restore, she come back 5 min later and tell me that they don't have any iphone4 in stock and they will order me one, take 4 to 5 days.:D

megax

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2007
Lucky you , went to the apple store today and spoke with the genius who said he cant exchange the phone for the sensor if there is nothing wrong with the pHone he didnt even bother doing any tests or anything after i asked just saying he couldnt do anything .

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
Lucky you , went to the apple store today and spoke with the genius who said he cant exchange the phone for the sensor if there is nothing wrong with the pHone he didnt even bother doing any tests or anything after i asked just saying he couldnt do anything .

The genius tell me the same thing too (I believe is the store policy), but she also ask me anything wrong with the phone, I just tell her the reception issue and yellow photo issue which I can live with, my only concern is the warranty for the remaining 11 1/2 months.
She take my phone and run the diagnotic program on a laptop, ask if my phone crash alot, I told her yes and she take it to the back room, she came back 5 min later and order me another phone.

On your post, you said nothing wrong with the phone other than the red sensor, you are not giving room for the genius to help you, he get no choice but to turn you away.

lrbello

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
SAN DIEGO
Alright so listen up. You do have some rights when it comes to this. The iPhone has 2 sensors on the outside and two on the inside. Now if they try and tell you that they won't replace your phone but there is only one outside sensor tripped you have a right to DEMAND them to check the inside two. If neither of the two inside ones have been set off then you're fine and they should go ahead and give you a new one. Typically this will only work if there's something wrong with your phone other than the water sensor.

How do I know this? Because I dropped my iPhone in a puddle and a second one in the shower. I was lucky enough that only one sensor went off (miracle) and they gave me a new one.

Just went to Apple. Iphone 4 has only 2 sensor. The older iphones had 4

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Tear me apart if you want (I really don't care what anyone here thinks) but all I will say is that bleach turns the sensors white. They react to pH and bleach sets it back white. All it takes is a drop and it works instantly.

(Mine also had tripped pink from the deep Texan humidity)

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
So should I report it since it is only two weeks old?
Sorry it took me so long to respond. It's not like your phone shipped like that so you can try but honesty I'd say you are going to get denied on your request.
yeah I know!
Why in the hell did you have your phone IN the shower? :confused:
Haha I was getting ready to take a shower and I turned on the water waiting for it to warm up I thought I'd send one last message and whille doing so it slipped out of my hand and into the shower.

The scariest was driving in the starbucks parking lot an hour and 15 minutes after leaving to find my phone laying in the parking lot. Keep in mind it had been raining rather hard for the past 3 hours. Still worked though? I still don't get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.