Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tottti1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2009
I fell asleep last night at 12 am. And just 2 hours later I woke up, sleep walked to the restroom with my ipod touch in my hand not knowing why, but when i took conscience of where i was at, i was standing in front of the toilet seat. I was still very asleep when i felt my ipod fall out of my hands and land with a hard POW! I thought it had hit the top of the toilet seat so i did not care much, but 9 seconds later i opened my eyes to pick it up and i saw it laying at the bottom of the toilet inside the water, so I shoved my hand in and I pulled it out and dried it. I was still kind of asleep so i did not think of the consequences and tried turning it, what i saw after that was a bunch of weird lines going across my screen so i connected it to the computer and restored it. But now it does not turn on. I think its broken.

ANY SUGGESTIONS??? :(

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Buy a new one? More than likely it is dead. Your biggest mistake was turning it back on while it was more than likely still wet on the inside.

ramgoofy

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2004
PeePod

Since it appears that you have problems with it... I would go to extreem measures... I would rinse the iPod off with CLEAN PURE WATER... SOAK IT!.. Let it dry in the sun for a few days... then attempt to turn it on. I did this with an OLD computer that had 7-up spilled in it. It turned on with no problem.
What have you got to loose?

Ram

tottti1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Well it was not dirty water. If it was dirty i would not have shoved my hand in there but if it is dead how can soaking it help?

Canon Rock

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
LOL thats hilarious and awful to hear at the same time :l. Anyways, my friend accidently dropped his Ipod Touch in a big puddle of water (dirty) while we were walking home so thats even worse. He did exactly what you did which wasnt a good time (try turning it on while its wet). His Ipod wouldnt turn on afterwards BUT he went home and dried it (the outter part) took this really thin screwdriverish thing and pulled the iPod apart. He took a blow dryer and put it on low power and dried the thing. Put it back together and it worked :p. His Ipod is 2G tho.

tottti1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2009
wow thanks!!
i might try that my ipod is a 2G too
but i'm scared i might mess it up or something..
how do you put it back on tho?
do you just snap it back in?

Exegesis48

macrumors regular
May 2, 2009
Very very interesting story. Count yourself out for ever receiving a security clearance, lol. But i find it amusing that of all things to sleepwalk into the bathroom with, you chose and iPod. Guess we know where your subconscious lies.

Anyway, my mother dropped her iPod nano in a puddle and it took a long time to dry out, but eventually it worked again. I would recommend rinsing it out with distilled water and then let it dry for a lengthy period of time (like a week), before attempting to turn it on again. I actually think you may have done more damage by attempting to plug it into your computer, which could only exasperate the problem if it's not completely dry.

tottti1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2009
It turned on!!!!!!!!!
but it looks like this =[
but it's good good because at least it's alive
so im happy
im just gonna let it dry
thanx everyone!!!!!!!!
Photo119.jpg

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Bury it in a bag/container of rice. It will help absorb the water...

And, QUIT TRYING IT. Let it dry out for a few DAYS.

ETA: I bumped my phone (off my belt holster) in the toilet a few months ago.... first phone i've "destroyed" in over 15 years of owning one. HMPH. I had insurance on the phone though...

Exegesis48

macrumors regular
May 2, 2009
Personally i think you've decreased your chances of it ever working again because you keep trying to turn it back on. When you drop a piece of electronic equipment in water, the first thing you want to do is remove any electrical current. Then let it dry until you are ABSOLUTELY sure that it's completely dry, and then try turning it on.

During the course of this thread you've tried turning it on twice, and connected it via usb to your computer, which has surely short circuited anything that's saturated with water.

So sadly, I think you're out of luck. But still, give it some time to dry before trying it again.

23am

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
Your iPod has been under water for 10s and the first thing you do is to expose it to an unlimited(or whatever an USB port holds ;)) amount of amperes by connecting it to iTunes? :cool: Asum!

I've saved my old k750i which was showered in beer after an incident with a flying bag of snacks, by washing it in fresh water(without battery) and then drying it at 50°C in the oven. The same procedure saved my brothers phone when he took it into a swimming pool filled with chlorine cleaned water and sun oil. Check your pockets ;)

Canon Rock

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
LOL, after reading the last few posts, I just had a werid idea of using a SHAMWOW to dry the thing :p. I have one at home and its more like SCAMWOW. "50% of coke right there guys, just lay it, not doing anything and it will absorb 70% of that stain. ITS REAL TIME FOLKS."- Vince Carter (The guy that advertised the shamwow, btw, the guy got arrested for raping a prostitude.)

Let it just dry, try using a hair dryer on low power. Not too close to the iPod just to make it warm not melting hot.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
LOL, after reading the last few posts, I just had a werid idea of using a SHAMWOW to dry the thing :p. I have one at home and its more like SCAMWOW. "50% of coke right there guys, just lay it, not doing anything and it will absorb 70% of that stain. ITS REAL TIME FOLKS."- Vince Carter (The guy that advertised the shamwow, btw, the guy got arrested for raping a prostitude.)

Let it just dry, try using a hair dryer on low power. Not too close to the iPod just to make it warm not melting hot.

Is there where i admit my cousin is....... naaaaa, didn't think so! :p

To the OP - yes my phone actually did dry out and start working, but i had no clue if it would have since i had to wait. Because it was covered by insurance - i had to decide ahead to submit the claim. If it had crapped out later i could have been out of luck since it was wet.

But i didn't turn it on either......

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Why oh why do you not listen!?

"QUIT TURNING IT ON!" - I AGREE!

Many have said above me and I will repeat: Put it aside - leave it under your bed or something so you don't start playing with it more and let it stay there for atleast 7 days. It's not that hard. Trust me!

Shuttleworth

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
UK
Claim it on your house insurance? Even with the excess on your policy it'd probably still be worth it?

A guy at work dropped a Nokia phone into a big effluent acid neutralisation tank (adds caustic to acid to neutralise it) A few weeks later the tank was cleaned out, and the phone was retrieved. It was dismantled and put on a radiator for a few days to dry. Once dry and recharged it worked as normal, the only bit that didn't was the SIM card.

Let it dry before you turn it on again!!

tottti1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2009
ohh well I taught it was completely dead so what i did was check i it was dead
so i tried turning it on and it failed but all the sudden it turned on and it did not want to turn off
but i let it die and i have not turned it back on again
i live in arizona its like a desert
its really hot so i am putting it in my window in front of the sun to see if the water will evaporate.
could this harm the ipod in any way?

Canon Rock

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
ohh well I taught it was completely dead so what i did was check i it was dead
so i tried turning it on and it failed but all the sudden it turned on and it did not want to turn off
but i let it die and i have not turned it back on again
i live in arizona its like a desert
its really hot so i am putting it in my window in front of the sun to see if the water will evaporate.
could this harm the ipod in any way?

Well, rust might form inside. Try taking it apart or just dry it and return to your phone company and get a new one. You said it was an Iphone right?

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005

Shamwow's actually do work, but they're just chamois'. They have to be damp when you use them or they don't work.

I watched them use one in real life and it worked exactly like it does on TV. It's nothing that hasn't existed forever, it's just being marketed like it hasn't.

tottti1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2009
no its an ipod touch its not an iphone
yea i taught rust might form but im scared to take it apart cause it might break or something.

oh btw what is Shamwow??

veo321

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
USA
Let It Dry And Pray!

:apple: :) I have thrown my iPod in a lake before lol(well actually I wasn't the one who threw it!) anyway I let it dry for 2 days and boom it worked perfectly good as new! You may have shorted it out though keep hoping! And I am pretty sure you have a 50/50 chance of it turning on again. KEEP IT DRY! :) :apple:

tottti1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2009
thank you all for your help
im going to leave it a week
and hope it works

what happens when you restore your ipod?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.