My iPod went in the washing machine!!! Oh No!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by SophBleep, Mar 12, 2010.

1. SophBleep macrumors newbie

SophBleep

I know it sounds bad. And it is in some kind of way.

The iPod still works but the screen isn't looking so good. I think it has lots of water in it. I am hoping it will dry out but what if it doesn't?

What do you suggest I do so the screen isn't so full of water. The water doesn't moved but it looks kind of like a wet piece of paper stuck in my screen.

All functions are normal otherwise. Should I be worried? What do I do?

SophBleep:eek::eek::eek::apple:

OH NO, the use of my white wheel thing that has menu and pause and stuff has gone! It doeasn't work. I am crying this is so bad. i don't want to have to buy a new one or spend hundreds getting it fixed!! what do i do!!!????

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Turn it off completely and let it sit somewhere warm and dry for a nice long time--until there's no water visible and maybe a while after that. If you're lucky, it'll kick back in at that point, once there's no water in the contacts. Turning it on just increases the chance of it frying itself.

A better option, if you're braver, would be to open it up (you can find instructions online relatively easily), blot away any visible water, then let it sit for a few days to dry thoroughly. Put it back together and hopefully it'll work.

If neither of those things help, you're pretty much out of luck--water and iPods are not a good combination. You could buy parts from iFixIt or somewhere like that and try replacing the bad components yourself, but that's probably throwing good money after bad. Sounds like you have a clickwheel model, which (unless it's a relatively new "classic" model) are relatively inexpensive to buy used, so it might not cost a fortune to replace if you don't have the money for a fancy newer one.

My condolences, but good luck.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I just can't understand how people think it's OK to turn on an electronic device after it gets wet.

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

The worst thing you can do is turn it on. When we say leave it dry for a LONG time we mean 2+ days...

6. SophBleep thread starter macrumors newbie

SophBleep

I cant understand how people thinks it ok to take a picture of their but and use it as there photo for everyone on the internet to see.

Listen, I didn't mean to put it in the washer and I didn't know that turning it on would make it worse. Don't be so hard on me.

7. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

As to your iPod issue, all I can say is, "suds of a b***h".

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

OP, at least you know what to do in the future. Buy a new one for now, the cost to fix it would be more than it costs to get a new one.

9. My Username macrumors newbie

All should be fine. This happened to my iPod, and after a few days of letting it dry it worked perfectly. There was a glitch, but it was fixed by syncing the iPod.

However:
    You say the screen is messed up? It sounds like yours has a lot more water in it than mine did.

10. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Lesson to be learned here. Check your pockets when you put your clothes in the wash and don't leave for mommy to do :D

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yep, check your pockets before doing the laundry.

12. Hmac macrumors 68020

Yeh, good luck. 95% chance that iPod is done for. Sorry.

13. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Have you tried putting it in the clothes dryer ? ;)

(scnr)

14. g3powerbook boy macrumors member

for the life of me i cannot understand people.... why on earth would he put the ipod in the washing machine and expect it to work like it did before? then to turn it on while it is in the process of un drowning is beyond me.

15. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

Cover up all of its ports and put it in a bag of uncooked rice. DO NOT TURN IT ON FOR 2+ DAYS. Take it out, plug it in, and eat the cost if it doesn't work. Sorry, but thats how it goes.
    Good luck

16. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

I have brought back an iPod (went through the wash), my wife's cell phone (fell in the pool) and a digital camera (left out in the rain with this technique. As mentioned do not turn it on wet. Get a Tupperware container and some fresh un-cooked rice and fill the container with the rice and bury your device in it. Take it out in 2-weeks and it will be good as new. The rice soaks up the moisture.

17. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Agreed. I can't help but smile to myself when I hear these stories. I really do think it's a little bit of a common knowledge thing mixed with fourth grade science. :D I've been into this stuff since I was about 7 though, so I'm not sure.

Why cover all the ports? I had never heard this before. As for the rice and whatnot that will most likely be your best chance. I give it a 50% chance of survival with that (95% if you had not turned it on).

18. SophBleep thread starter macrumors newbie

SophBleep

OH COME ON!!!! Not everybody is a genius as you mr whatever!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! It was an accident and I didn't know that I shouldn't turn it on while the screen was full of water!!! I haven't been put in that situation before!!!! I was so worried that I would have to buy a new one, when I had bought it 2 months ago, but you guys come and bag me for doing the wrong thing in your opinion! Yes you were probably right, but stop acting like you own the electronic world and I am just a person who has no idea what a iPod looks like, because I am really good with computers, cameras, iPod and phones! And guess what? IT IS FINE NOW!!!!!!!!

THAT'S RIGHT!!! It dried out ON MY DESK over 2 NIGHTS and now it is fine!!

Thankyou to the supportive people, no thanks to anybody else.

19. SophBleep thread starter macrumors newbie

SophBleep

I would like to say that is really untrue

i bet u haven't got any experience with iPods in washing machines, you just want to post something,

i know lots of people whose iPods survived

It was fixed in 2 nights

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

um no it isnt

or that he knows, unlike you, that water and electronics dont mesh well together
    Right
    you got lucky, esp since you tried turning it on while still wet. you are lucky you didnt short the thing out

21. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I don't want to sound like the voice of doom, but maybe set aside a little money for a new one now and then anyway. I once fell into a fountain with my camera. I sobered up fast and yanked battery etc out, left it to dry out without touching the power button etc. And it worked, huzzah!

Only 3 months later something went wrong with the flash unit and I had to get it fixed, probably not all that coincidental. If something does go wrong you can pay for an out of warranty repair from Apple, costs less than a new iPod. Prices on their website.

22. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'd imagine it's so little rice bits don't end up getting into the ports.

Glad to hear it's working again, OP! I used my 4G nano during the last St. Louis half-marathon, which was unfortunately held in a torrential downpour. It got quite wet and while it never stopped playing, the clickwheel eventually lost functionality. I used it until the end of the race, then let it dry out thoroughly. It's worked perfectly ever since, thank goodness.

23. macbrooke macrumors regular

macbrooke

OP I am happy it worked for you! :D
    Take some of the crap posted here with a grain of salt.
    Opinions are like ***holes right? everyone has one.

I dropped my Blackberry Curve in water when I was getting a pedicure at a spa, yes it fell off my lap into the whirlpool spa! I was heartbroken I thought it was done for good.. like you I turned it on.. (I had no idea either) anyhow I took it home and my husband dismantled it used a hair dryer and rubbing alcohol on some of the contacts, then he dried it out apart for a few days.

I still have that phone, and recently sold my iPhone to go back to it (Yep I love it that much)

Good luck! **** happens :)

24. SophBleep thread starter macrumors newbie

SophBleep

Yep, i pretty much love u right now! Thankyou for your support, I don't take that kind of crap!!!

yes my iPod is in good working condition!!!!

BTW I know quite a few other people who have left, or want to leave their iPhone fir their blackberry, i love those blackberry curves, i would prefer one of them rather then an iPhone

25. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

This link came up in another thread: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/prices/#us

Looks like Apple will let you replace any iPod that isn't repaired under warranty, and the price ranges from very reasonable (45% off retail for 5th generation iPod Nano) to completely unreasonable (replacing an old Mini costs more than a new new Nano :eek: ). If your iPod is new, that could be worthwhile.