My Journey to iOS is over

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Squirreladd, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Squirreladd, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

Squirreladd macrumors member

Squirreladd

A month and a half ago I purchased an apple iphone 5s to last me until the fall where I would choose between an iPhone 7 or a Nexus 2016. That test of iOS has come to a abrupt end I am going back to android getting the nexus 5x.

The reasons I am going back is not for some fan boy reasons of "iOS suck android better". I must say I was fairly impressed with iOS and it did exceed my expectations. The OS was pretty fast and it ran everything that was thrown at it. Touch id was amazing as well. My big gripe leaving is now I no longer have the safe embrace of iMessage. I loved iMessage more then I thought I would. Apple iOS has some really great things going for it but its the small things that send me back to android. One the phone I had was locked to a carrier and they refused to unlock it despite me needing to relocate to rural area. The other two reasons are that I find the notifications in android on a completely different level. Apple's notifications need a lot of work to catch up to android. The next large thing is google now. I know that people like to compare google now to Siri but its not a comparison. Google Now's predictive capabilities are amazing. Swiping to the left on the iPhone brought me to a useless page with barely relevant information. On android with the google now launcher it brought me to the weather stories about the politics that I follow. Traffic to my job/home. Alerts from my email. Its no comparison in the end when I needed to switch networks and buying a new phone at budget. A $250 32gb nexus 5x beats the $500 32gb iPhone SE.

PS. My iPhone was a 16gb. Those things should be a crime. Apple please don't make anymore 16gb phones storage for a high end device should start at 32 gbs. The cost difference is negligible.

PPS. This community is really amazing and open to new ideas.

Edit to correct Nexus 5s to Nexus 5x

2. swarlos macrumors 6502

swarlos

This is exactly how I feel when I try to switch back to Android from iOS. I just can't do it, for me it's also the little things of iOS that add up for me that aren't in Android and I do have to agree about Google Now being better.

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

What carrier do you have? Of the major carriers, I can't think of one that wouldn't unlock for you. AT&T will also long as the phone or ETF is paid off. T-Mobile will if you're moving out of their coverage. Sprint is supposed to be nowadays. Verizon iPhone 5ses are already unlocked out of the box for GSM, at least.

4. Squirreladd thread starter macrumors member

Squirreladd

Cricket. Despite me paying for the device outright they require me to wait six months

5. BentTable123 macrumors member

Just return the phone to cricket, if they don't refund you, most credit card companies will refund you the difference within 90 days.

It's funny that you complain about 16 gb memory and you give inaccurate info that the 32 gb nexus 5s is only $250. Actually there is no nexus 5s, there is a 5x and the base model is only 16 gb and costs $349, not $250. The 32 gb version costs a whopping $399. And your cricket iphone 5s only costs $199 for 16 gb, and $249 for 32 gb, so actually the iphone is cheaper than the nexus.

Btw the cricket iphone is highly subsidized, normally that phone costs around $500, so you didn't buy it outright.

6. Squirreladd thread starter macrumors member

Squirreladd

Typo is typo nexus 5x. The phones at cricket are not under any contract. Yes that phone cost around 500 but cricket requires no contract.

https://fi.google.com/about/?utm_source=google-blog&utm_medium=ooi-post&utm_campaign=ooi#devices

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Would that have been different with an Android phone?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is that Apple's fault? I'm not trying to sound harsh but Apple has no say in what is locked by the carrier.

Yes, Google Now is much better then Siri, I guess from what I know, Apple's privacy stance impacts this, as it collects a lot less information, so its not as powerful. I'm not making excuses, just stating Google's approach lends itself to GoogleNow where as Apple's stance hinders increased flexibility and power of Siri.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

like maflynn said, the first problem is not iPhone related in any way.

I totally agree that google now blows siri out of the water. I also like android notifications much better. I use an IOS device for my phone, but my TV has a android tablet as a remote and certain things are better. Depending on how you use your phone can really dictate which OS you prefer. If you absolutely need a file system, I can understand android. Stock Android has come a long way, and Android N looks like it will add some simple needed features.

10. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Like others have said, the unlock issue isn't an iPhone thing, it's your carrier being weird.

Your other points are legit IMO. Notifications on android devices are far more robust than iOS notifications. I don't have a lot of experience with Google Now, but they don't even have to be great to be better than the randomness that is Siri Suggestions. Using data to serve up relevant info is old hat to Google, they've been at it for a while so Apple will need to catch up to compete.

It's good that you gave it a fair shake. That's better than what most people do. Hope you stick around...most of us love hearing about what new features are available on the "other side" ;)

11. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Notifications - Google is better and probably will stay better due to Apple's privacy stance. I loved Google Now even though I tried it in its infancy. Google (for ex) reads your emails and then gives you "coming up" alerts. Apple wont do that. So its a balance between privacy and convenience.

Bottom line - whatever works for you is all that matters. @maflynn commented on this too. Not an excuse, just a fact.

12. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

I honestly only stayed with IOS because of how things are integrated nicely into the OS (Facetime, imessage etc)

Otherwise i may have been tempted back to android. But im glad i stayed with IOS, overall it is the best OS , although it is flawed in certain areas. Notifications needs to be overhauled completely

13. Squirreladd thread starter macrumors member

Squirreladd

The phone being locked is what prompted me to have to buy a new phone. It is not Apples fault nor did I state that. But choosing to buy an unlocked phone after that point puts me in a different situation of where I want to get a cheap and a good phone. My options are listed a Nexus 5x or an iPhone SE 32gb devices. Getting a 150 dollar deal on the nexus is icing on the cake. If honestly say the iphone SE was 4.7 inches and 350 for a 32gb I would be in a much difficult situation.

No but it would have prompted the same need to buy a phone. I should have stated that as the reason for me to require a new phone but not go either Android or iOS. Just place me on the market for a new phone.

14. Ulenspiegel, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

To each his own.
    Both OSs have their advantages and disadvantages.
    Google is a shameless data miner. Nuff said.

15. Squirreladd thread starter macrumors member

Squirreladd

They are but I feel safe that they have my info. Compared to other companies Google is extremely secure with customer information. They have to my knowledge never lost customer information. IE Sony Playstation network or the fappening

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

For the record…my Contacts and Calendar info is all Google.

When iCloud came around it was one way and totally not compatible PowerPC Macs. I needed some way to keep my contacts and calendars consisten across all my devices (I'm not strictly Apple-centric). Since I already had a Google email account at the time, Google was it. I can change a contact on any of my devices using Google (including the website) and it pushes to all my devices.

iCloud, to my knowledge is much better now, but once I went to Google it became irrelevant. Other than SOHO Organizer, it still doesn't sync with PowerPC Macs either.

17. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

+1

Google channels all that info it collects about you towards predictive services for you (and for the marketers, government etc). Apple by staunchly refusing to do so, hinders Siri's capabilities. So we need to choose : Privacy or convenience ?

In a perfect world, we could and should have both but we don't live in one !
    Cheers !

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Prior to some Sony Playstation issues or some other issues they were also secure with their information...until they weren't.

19. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Of course not, because then they couldn't sell it to someone else! :D

20. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

that's too naive a view. Apple and carriers have deep talks about every single detail, including locking policies. Heck apple even gets a cut from the monthly bill we pay our carriers. Source: http://www.cnet.com/news/analyst-apple-gets-a-cut-of-at-t-iphone-revenue/ . So Apple would definitely have a say in all these things, even if they don't publicly admit it.

21. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

What's this nonsense about Google selling your info?
    They mine it so that others pay Google to improve their services.
    But I guess saying it enough would hopefully make the accusations stick!
    At least their cloud service didn't get hacked!

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Fairly certain their services were similarly affected by "hackers" as iCloud.

23. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

Sure, it's like the streaming websites : they don't promote piracy cause they just post the links to the movies.

Or to take a more dark example, the pimps/touts are completely out of the loop because they are simply facilitators for the 'ladies of the night', helping these women make some bucks !

Cheers !

24. kerrikins macrumors 65816

I think this is where the appeal of the different approaches comes in. I don't trust Google, and as such GoogleNow has little appeal to me. I like that the two OS's exist so people who are okay with it get that sort of support, and people like me can avoid it!

Also, iCloud wasn't hacked, it was traced to phishing.

25. Savor Suspended

Savor

My journey with iOS really ended back in 2013. It began in July 2008 when it was still wasn't called iOS yet but iPhone OS 1.1.4. I remember jailbreaking it because I was so bored with it after a few days. I remember the lightsaber unlock sound, Intelliscreen, ROMs, Playboy logo on the upper left, Jumpman logo for the lockscreen slider, and all that. We still had Installer before Cydia was born. I think 2008 was my favorite year at tinkering. The stuff with the live clock icon introduced in iOS7, I already saw it four years prior on my og iPhone!

The absolute thing I HATE with iOS is the biggest gamechanger to Apple that binds and locks people into their entire ecosystem - iTunes. I hate things like if I want to mass delete hundreds of videos or songs, I can only do it one at a time on the device or open iTunes to select all and delete. Stupid little things like that tick me off. And I hate how we can't hide ugly icon apps except through some lame folder where I prefer uniformity because the folders don't look out of place next to a full sized icon. Android launchers lets you hide apps.

One of the most important thing to me - Bluetooth transfer. My Android and WP devices can communicate and transfer files to each other. I use Share It app which is much faster but isn't very reliable to transfer files all the time. Share It can suck after awhile. I also like using one micro-usb to charge all my other phones and the drag and drop stuff without the need to open iTunes and asking you for Apple ID and password to reset everything. My LG and Microsoft Lumia can also double tap to wake and sleep. Why do I have to keep pressing the top button to lock iPhone and wear it out?

With all that said, I am still probably getting an iPhone SE. It isn't a necessity since iPhone doesn't work well with others except Apple devices but I don't mind having an expensive 3rd or 4th stringer around. Then I might sell it off after a couple years after I get bored with it and don't want to replace its degraded battery which goes from 10-13 hrs SOT down to 6-7 hrs after a couple years. The iPhone purchase isn't really for the forward thinkers like me. Like what Michael Fisher (formerly from Pocketnow) said on his Twitter. I respect iPhone but it isn't really for me. I agree with that but I will get one anyway.

My preferable platform combo is also like Captain2Phones - Android + WP user. Too bad Google and Microsoft don't play nice together since Apple is the one who is the outcast and Lone Ranger of the three.

Mobile OS History
    iOS (2008-2013, 2015-Present)
    Android (2011-Present)
    Windows Phone (2011-2012, 2016-Present)