My Mac Book almost blew up and burned down my house!!! (PICS)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ljump12, Jun 22, 2007.

1. ljump12 macrumors 6502

But seriously, the power cable started to spark... and a near-bye tissue almost caught on fire.

I called to get it replaced, but do you think if i made it a big deal I could get some more out of apple, cause in all honesty that REALLLY is not safe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. munckee macrumors 65816

:eek: :(

Its stuff like this that scares me about leaving my MB at home sleeping all day while I'm at work.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Magsafes are notorious for that. Have you been unplugging it by pulling the cord instead of the plug? Glad to see you saved your MacBook.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Is your Macbook one of the originals? I remember hearing about a few people who had this problem with original macbooks/pros because the insulation on the power adapter was too thin.

Anyways, doubt you're going to get a new laptop unless power surged in and screwed it up. You'll definitely be getting a new PSU though.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, other than calling up and displaying your disgust and worry and perhaps writing a letter, I don't really know about getting 'some more out of apple'. :S I mean, just because this happened doesn't make you entitled to a million dollars or anything silly like that.

However, what's going on here? Maybe there'll be a recall? Just make sure you get it back to them, asap, so they can figure out what went wrong.

6. shiato storm macrumors member

erm...this looks not too great.how common is this? and why might it be happening?!

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

What generation MacBook was this? When did you buy it?

I wonder if this problem has been addressed in the newer revisions. I hope so as my brother just got a BlackBook for college, and I'm planning on upgrading to a entry level MacBook from a 4 year old PowerBook G4 next Thursday.

*Remembers to make regular back-ups and keep important information in a secure off site back-up as well*

8. L3X macrumors 6502a

battery backups and surge protectors help with things like this. It could have been some kind of power spike. But, I'm not an electrical engineer.

9. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Is your MacBook still OK? Do you have any extra batteries to use with your MacBook?

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not unless the lightning hit the plug itself. :D

PS. I am.

11. ljump12 thread starter macrumors 6502

A. I bought the macbook around this time, of last year...
    B. Im runing through a Belkin UPS, with battery backup. Its a pretty powerful machine, so im sure it's not that.

12. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Damn, that's not good at all!
    Do NOT use it! Not even for a tiny bit, not even if you are going to run out of battery. Get it replaced.

13. ljump12 thread starter macrumors 6502

I only have one battery, so in 2 hours... I guess my macbook will be Dead until apple sends me the new Charger.

14. reflex macrumors 6502a

What did the cable look like before it happened?

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Hopefully this has been corrected with the later power supplies and it won't happen again. Just to be sure I would treat the new Magsafe as if it were a new born lamb.

16. ljump12 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhh... normal?

It melted the Neoprene(or whatever that material is...) Case that i ussually encase it in before i throw it in my bookbag... I Ussually just lay my laptop on top of it when its on my desk, and ask you can see it had melted a small hole in it.

[​IMG]

17. mrb2 macrumors newbie

Sorry to say but... I believe the pictures are fake/customer abuse.

For me it looks more likely that the cable it cut in half at one side. When the cable gets hot it will melt... does someone see melted pvc?

If the cable starts burning or gets hot why the wires inside are broken then?

18. jesstech macrumors member

To everyone saying 'Apple has to have fixed this problem by now' I suggest you read the latest comments on Apple's OWN power adapters (here). People are still complaining about this.

It's been this was ever since the iBook, and I can't believe Apple hasn't received a class-action lawsuit for this yet. A recall almost doesn't cut it.

19. ljump12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Dude i can assure you that it was no damage by me... I would not intentionally put myself out of my macbook for 3-5 days...

20. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I agree that it is outrageous that Apple has let this problem go on so long without a recall but if you read the comments most of them are from people who have had their laptops for well over a year. Perhaps Apple has fixed the problem in the newer ones but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

21. mrb2 macrumors newbie

Sorry dude...

but for me this is a "burned cable". [​IMG] (as I do believe it's caused by customer abuse).

For me your cable is cut at one side. How I don't know... But I almost 100% sure it was not from a burning cable.

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The cable looks split to me, not cut. The wires inside look frayed and that is what probably started the fire in the first place.

To the OP:

Did you wind and unwind the cable a lot for carrying around? Perhaps the constant winding can fray the cables inside the cord. Definitely a design flaw.

23. ljump12 thread starter macrumors 6502

I always wound it around the adapters provided hook things... It would get wound maybe 3-4times a week.

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Thats probably what did it. Not saying its your fault as that is what the stupid things were supposed to be designed to do. :)