Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Was that advice aimed at me? Apple won't replace it will they? ... they kinda should though... i mean i have done nothing rough to it other than wind it round the reel which is what they suggest you do...

Yes it was. Are you within the 1 year warranty period? They should replace it with very little questions. Just tell them you treated it with care but it still broke with normal use.

Frohike

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Kent, England
Yeah i am i got my MBP in feb... got Applecare as well and all that... i'll take it up there some time this week. Just a little worried about the between time now!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I can agree with you in that it was probally partly my fault. Many times the cable has been bent at the point where it frayed. But still the cable should be built so it does not do this after 1 year.

Plase don't take my comment as putting blame on you. I totally agree with your viewpoint. These are portable devices, and portable devices, no matter how well they are taken care of, end up taking some inevitable rough use. And plenty of other hardware manufacturers seem to manage building their hardware to withstand the occasional power-cord-stretch here and there without bursting into flame.

Apple really does need to consider sacrificing visual aesthetics for safety on this one. I realize Steve Jobs is a nut about industrial design, but I really don't care that much if my magsafe connector has clean lines from a design standpoint. I'd much rather have an "ugly" connector and not see pictures like this, and worry about how safe it is to keep my MBP connected when I'm away from it.

Apple might also consider making the MagSafe connector just a little less magnetic, enough so that if the pull and strain on the cord is a bit much, it gives way. Isn't that what MagSafe is supposed to do anyway? The magnet on my connector is pretty strong and requires more force, IMO, than a regular connector does to disconnect. This seems to defeat the whole purpose.

My suggestion was merely a way, in the absence of Apple doing anything, to make people mindful of what is likely going on, and how they might be able to mitigate the risk.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Heres the state of mine at the minute because i wind it up around the two little flippy arms:

Photo70.jpg

Any ideas about what i should do. I doubt they'd replace it do you agree? I'm just a bit worried now.

Get it replaced IMMEDIATELY!

Go to an Apple store and show them the connector. Explain that you've been wrapping the cord around the wing arms like you're supposed to, and this is the result. in the interest of safety they should give you a replacement.

If they refuse, I would buy one anyway (for safety's sake, that frayed connection looks like it's ripe for shorting out!) and then call up Apple care and complain. Maybe even e-mail Steve Jobs and request a refund because you feel that this should have been replaced for free.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
We had exactly the same thing happen last week. I started smelling burning plastic, looked all over the machine itself, and finally noticed that part of the power cable had melted just like yours. I thought about taking pictures, but didn't have time before taking it to the Apple Store for replacement.

Definitely makes me think twice about leaving it plugged in when we're away from the house. :eek:

If you haven't already had it replaced, do so immediately. Apple shouldn't question that this was their defect, not abuse. The cord should not burn or melt at all, period. Ours was replaced without any question at the "genius" bar.

Fujikon

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
Wtf

Glad no one got hurt. Imagine if you had the macbook on your lap when this happened ... :eek:

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
philadelphia
I sent steve a little e-mail.. hoping maybe something would get done about this. (Sent to steve@mac.com)

Subject:: Macbook Power Cable -- Safety Hazard.
Jun 22 (2 days ago)
I am writing to you regarding the Macbook Power Cable. Recently my power cable frayed and burned up while connected to my Macbook. I called Applecare, and they agreed to replace it, however I feel the matter should be brought to the attention of your quality department. The neoprene casing that I layed my laptop upon had melted under the heat of the wires, and when I went to disconnect the power adapter from the Macbook, it began to spark. Had a flammable object like perhaps a tissue been close to the cord, it may have started a fire. This seems to be a widespread problem as noted by the reviews on the Macbook's power adapter. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E07A&nplm=MA538LL/B
Having owned my laptop for less than a year, I believe the power adapter should not burn up like this.

Here are some pictures for you to review.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/ljump12/IMG_7952.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/ljump12/IMG_7954.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/ljump12/IMG_7948.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/ljump12/IMG_7958.jpg

Thank you for forwarding this e-mail to the appropriate departments,
Brian Giarrocco

Ill keep you guys posted if I receive any response

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Users responsibility to inspect and take care of the equipment. Any
cord like this is subject to a lot of abuse/wear.

LightMast

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2007
Users responsibility to inspect and take care of the equipment. Any
cord like this is subject to a lot of abuse/wear.

In this case I must disagree, these adapters seem to fail in abnormally large numbers under normal use- almost all showing the same issue.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2005
I've read enough reports of magsafe misfortunes that I'm currently scared to buy a Macbook.

I will be buying a faster, more upgradeable replacement for my Mini by the end of the year, but if I haven't heard some sort of definitive word that they have addressed this issue, I'll have to pass on the Macbook and get something else. But a Mac Pro would be total overkill for me...and my wallet....

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
this happened in the exact same spot on my sister Macbook, apple replaced it. i dont get why they switched power plugs, the ibook/powerbook adapter is great, i like my ibook G4's adapter so much better, the magnets on the macbooks comes out too easily, and if you pull hard enough on the ibook's it will come out before it would fall off a table.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I've read enough reports of magsafe misfortunes that I'm currently scared to buy a Macbook.

I will be buying a faster, more upgradeable replacement for my Mini by the end of the year, but if I haven't heard some sort of definitive word that they have addressed this issue, I'll have to pass on the Macbook and get something else. But a Mac Pro would be total overkill for me...and my wallet....
I wouldn't let it stop you from buying a MacBook. Just be extra careful when handling the cable. Then again, if you don't need portability, the new iMacs should be coming out pretty soon.

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
That looks like the original version of the magsafe power unit. The newer ones have a reinforced cable strain sheath which hasn't been a problem at all.

Good Luck

Sopranino

davede70

macrumors member
May 8, 2006
I had this issue earlier this year, same exact thing in the same exact spot. The wires on the cord twist around and fray and eventually that is what happens. It is scary to think what could happen if I wasn't there when it happen.

I do think the cord should be stronger, but I have learned to take better care of the cord now. I am always using my macbook on the couch and moving positions and shifting around and I think that is what causes the cord to get twisted. I am much more careful about unpluggin the mag from the macbook itself.

For all of you waiting to buy a macbook until all the reports of problems are gone, you're going to be waiting a long time. Every product has problems and now thanks to the internet, people and can run ans quickly talk about it.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
That looks like the original version of the magsafe power unit.
If anyone does have the older one, it's worth trying to get an exchange -
http://www.powerpage.org/2007/01/apple_reportedly_replacing_macbook_power_adapters_for_free.html

Last year's Macintouch's reader MB/MBP survey contained the following on the magsafe problem:

The innovative, new MagSafe magnetic-release power socket seems to be fairly reliable. Some users report loose or fraying connectors, which must taken seriously, but it does not appear to be an endemic problem. A much-talked-about MagSafe connector meltdown seems quite rare – only six were reported in our survey, out of nearly three thousand respondents.

The new MacBook power adapters do seem to have an issue, however – up to 7% exhibited the "hissing" noise characteristic of failing electronics. Apple reportedly is replacing these on sight (and probably should check on their supplier's quality control processes).

iz3r

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Arizona
Wow...

That is very scary... I'm running my Macbook on a Big Geek Squad UPS, hopefully that does somthing, did a surge in power cause that?

Turkish

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2007
Jesus Christ...

Writing Steve Jobs because of a power cord? How about leaving that channel to people who really need some help with an issue?

Take it into an Apple Store or call AppleCare. They'll replace it straight away - it's a known issue.

*giant rolling eye*

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Jesus Christ...

Writing Steve Jobs because of a power cord? How about leaving that channel to people who really need some help with an issue?

Take it into an Apple Store or call AppleCare. They'll replace it straight away - it's a known issue.

*giant rolling eye*

I'm sorry but I agree. That e-mail should really be used for serious cases. Many people have had the fraying power cord issue. Since Apple is replacing it for you there is no need to escalate and try and get compensation because it probably won't happen. Apple already knows about this issue and I have been told that by several Apple technicians.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Mine did that. I rang up AppleCare and basically said "If you dont replace this my house might burn down". They send me a new one, and I taped around the connector to make it stronger with electricians tape.

EDIT: Like this (sorry for the crappy picture:

Attachments

• SP_A1138.jpg
    SP_A1138.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 79

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Jesus Christ...

*giant rolling eye*

I watched a kid bring his cremated magsafe into the Trafford Centre Apple Store. The staff refused point blank to accept any blame whatsoever and only offered to sell him another one at full retail price - so, no. They will not necessarily replace it straight away, and Apple do not deal with 'known issues'. Therein lie class actions. The modus operandi of Apple Store staff is to deny all knowledge of any known issues until forced to, such as the G3 iBook replacement programme.

Just go in. Be firm and polite but not let yourself be fobbed off with excuses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.