Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
I get your frustration..

I use this tool to clean my keyboard, works like a charm!
Thank you!

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
...and here I am wishing my windows laptops would turn on when I opened the lid (without pressing the power button).
Alas, here we are.

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
I love how you keep going back to the well of "it's me doing it wrong" rather than the reality of, it's deliberately and poorly designed to work this way. To keep you on a computer all the time.
Apple can do no wrong. They are perfect in all ways. You are the problem.
-MacRumors Members

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
Seems to me there a plenty of reasons to have the laptop open and not powered on. Cleaning (as the OP wants), setting up/positioning in workspace, plugging in/moving peripherals, all in preparation for work at a later time.

It’s true that you can do such things while powered on (if forced to), but for a company so publicly concerned with impact on the environment, having the option to use 0 energy while doing such tasks by providing a traditional “powered off means OFF” state seems like an easy thing to do. Kind of stupid not to, really.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
It'd be easier/quicker to just lock the screen (from the Apple menu), as other people have already pointed out.
Sure, but then, I guess separately, it's a great idea to have to require a password on wake from sleep and screensaver.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
In what situation would you open the lid and not power on the device? Lid opening to turn on makes a lot of sense to me. I can understand people disliking key presses to turn the computer on, I respect that.
Aside from cleaning, as the OP and others point out, I often handled the laptop with open lid.

When I came home from work and planned to work from home the next day, I would position the laptop on my desk and hook up local monitors (1 or 2) and other peripherals. Monitors are on adjustable VESA arms because I share them with 2 desktops, so I needed to reposition them around the laptop screen (the reason lid was open). Since I would not be using it until the next day, I had no reason to have it powered on.

This whole thing is silly to me. What is gained by taking away the option to permanently power down? Why have a power button at all if anything but leaving the lid closed powers on the computer?
(On second thought, don’t give Apple any ideas about the power button 😅)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.