My mac mini has kernal panics how to deal with the memory.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by steve knight, Nov 12, 2011.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Ok so it is a new mac mini 2 months old with self installed Corsair 8 GB of memory. do I bring it in with that memory to see if it is that bring it in with the original memory or bring the original with me in case they need to do something to it?
    it's just been going on for a few weeks and I am wondering if it could be voiceover. it is always crashing when the computer goes to sleep.

2. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Instead of bringing the Mac Mini in try replacing the Corsair memory with the original factory memory and see if the kernel panics continue. You should also test the factory memory and Corsair with Rember 4 loops. If the Corsair memory is the problem exchange it and save yourself a trip to the genius bar. If not, then make an appointment at the Genius Bar. Be sure to backup your files as they will likely do a clean install.

3. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

I debated on swapping memory but it may take awhile to see if it is it. Plus the mini is almost unusable with only 2 gigs of memory and voiceover. I could not find the app you are talking about.

4. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I refuse to use Corsair. I bought 8 GB of Samsung memory and have had no problems yet. Either use Samsung or Crucial.

5. Los macrumors regular

This why I bought the Samsung 8 GB RAM from OWC, I avoided any possible problems from 3rd party manufacturers. It may cost a bit more, but at least I'm sure it'll work. :)

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

which mac mini?

or quad 2.0

Next question why put the machine to sleep? Try never sleep but use display sleep see thumbnail.

Your issue my be a bug with your software that you call voiceover.

here is the free app link for the ram test.

http://kelleycomputing.net/rember/

do 3 or 4 loops also use log with verbose so the log is bigger with more info.

Attached Files:

7. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

2.3 I have the same memory in my mini bought at the same time. I am running the test now.
    voiceover is the built in speech software in lion for blind people. I know there are bugs in it. it causes iTunes to crash and and sometimes mail. been that way off and on since we got into macs 3 years ago.

8. Detrius macrumors 68000

There's a huge downside to Rember. It runs as a GUI app on OS X. Therefore, it can't test any of the large chunks of memory that OS X is using. If you're remotely capable with the command line, you're much better off running it in single-user mode. If not, you should absolutely reboot the system before running Rember to ensure that as much RAM as possible is free for Rember to claim for itself.

To run it from single-user mode, put Rember in your Applications folder. Then, reboot holding down command-s. Run the following:

Code:
    /Applications/Rember.app/Contents/Resources/memtest all 5
    That will run five iterations. Four will probably be fine, too. If you see any errors, try reseating the RAM. Then test again. If you still have errors, put the original RAM back in. If you still have errors, you may have a bad RAM slot.

9. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

I ran the remember app and got a error. so I am testing the sticks one at a time. looks like the one I removed was bad.

10. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

looks like one stick is bad. after removing it the system is fine no problems with waking up or voiceover. Corsair's website is about 3 yeas out of date on the apple computer models.