My Mac Pro buying experience at an Apple Store

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by spacetycho, Feb 18, 2009.

1. spacetycho macrumors member

spacetycho

I had been struggling with the decision to wait for the 'new' mac pro or just to get a current model for 2 months. Based on no official time table for a 'new' Mac Pro release and the fact that Digidesign can take some time to catch up to new hardware/software I decided to purchase the current model.

I was toying with the idea of getting a refurb, but with my corporate discount of 8%, a new one was only a $175 more. And, when I was ready there were no refurbs with the specs I wanted anyway.

Sunday I called my local :apple: store to see if the 3.0 GHz was in stock and they said it was, so I went in. After 30 minutes with a sales rep, who knew less about the computer than I did, I found out they didn't have it. :mad: I started to leave but decided to speak with a manager to let him know how upset I was that I just wasted my time. He was immediately apologetic and asked for me to wait, he'd be right back.

He came back, apologized again, and handed me a card for 10% off my next in store purchase. I then though that maybe the 3.2Ghz might be more affordable so he set me up with a different rep who actually knew about the computer and understood my needs.

After I did the math the 3.2 GHz was still too much, so inquired about the 2.8 GHz. Was it going to be enough machine for me? He convinced me that it would be plenty and by no means was it slow. Now, I had downgraded myself and had 10% off coming. I though I was really getting a good deal until I got to the counter to pay.

The manager rang me up, gave me the wireless mouse for $20 per online pricing, they charge $69 in store (I got to keep the wired mouse too), 10% off :apple:care, and not 10% but 14% off the brand new Mac Pro! Holy ****! Until that second, I hated going into this store, now I have a GREAT deal! Not only did I get the hook up, but they stayed 30 minutes after the store closed to finish everything up. I never felt rushed.

This just goes to show that there is customer service in this world. What started as another :apple: store nightmare turned into a really nice experience. Thank you :apple: store in Boca Raton, FL. :D

The new 2.8GHz, 320G HD, 2G RAM Mac Pro is now fully updated and running great. The casing is immaculate. It makes my G4 look like a Mac mini, what a beast. I have also ordered an additional 8G RAM from Memory America, which was very cheap! They were very nice too. Next stop, Pro Tools 8!

Cheers,
    A very happy camper :cool:

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Great to hear you had a good experience. Some people don't, most do.

3. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't be that kid. You're not that kid that e-mailed him about Final Cut Studio 2 and got it for free.. :eek:

5. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

6. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

final cut for free.?!

I am going to be upgrading my FC4 to FC Studio 2. How can I get a free copy? The $699 upgrade price is too much for me right now. ;)

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You'd have to be him to get a free one. Own a bunch of high-end hardware and present your case. Don't expect anything, though.

8. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

nothing is free.

i was just joking. :D I have come to expect nothing for free. Even when I get a credit or don't get charged for something I still pay in the end with my time and patience. nothing is for free.

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I don't think there is actually a 3.0GHz retail model.

10. rodal126 macrumors newbie

Is there a thread about his story. I'd be interested in reading it.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

12. gibbz macrumors 68030

I'm glad your experience went well. I bet you got the $20 price because that is what they sell it as with a bundle. If you try to buy it externally to the Mac Pro purchase, then yes it $69. It is even $69 online by itself.

13. opera57 macrumors 6502

14. ggg05a macrumors regular

ggg05a

Glad you had a good experience!

It blows my mind that someone who works at a small box boutique electronics store doesn't know about their product, if it was Best Buy or Fry's I'd understand. There is just too much there to learn, but an Apple store . . . come on.

15. carolhayes macrumors member

I had a similar experience at the mac store in Norfolk Va over 2 months ago. I went through 4 sales people until I got to somebody who new something and they even passed me off to the apple care phone number. I did not think to get the manager because my blood pressure was so high and my kids were fussing. I called apple care and they recommended stuff I did not need (such as a graphics card) So far the best advise I have gotten was from Tallest Skil by reading the forums. I still can't decide what to do!

16. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You actually do need a graphics card, otherwise your computer can't display anything. :)

As for what to do, do you need a new computer? What programs do you want to run?

17. carolhayes macrumors member

I am sorry not to be clear- working too much... on a slow computer..they recommended the nvidia card its a 150 upgrade. I am a photographer, I shoot thousands of images in the raw. I need to be able to do batch editing. I also do some design work, websites, ads etc. So basically the whole cs4 suite. Like everyone else on here can't decide whether to get one now or wait. But I can't go much past April because my computer is full and slow! I was thinking of getting the 2.8 8 core with the extras super drive, nvidea card and wifii and then upgrading the ram and adding more hard drives later if I can figure it out myself. I can't decide about apple care either. Did not get it on my laptop 6 years ago and did not need it. Any thoughts. It comes out to 3k without the display and with my educator discount.

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Don't waste money on a second SuperDrive from Apple. You can buy it for about a third elsewhere, provided you really need a second ODD.

The 8800 GT is a worthwhile upgrade, but also consider getting a stock video card and swapping it/adding a Radeon 3870 as opposed to the 8800 GT.

19. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Wow, now I have a good argument to show why Apple is really #1 in customer satisfaction. I sure wish all other companies were like that.

20. Hitman2992 macrumors newbie

Haha thats the apple store I go too. Congratulations on your discount, if only I could be that lucky.

21. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I would go for the 2.8, and like Tallest Skill said skip the 8800 GT and get the 3870, it will be far better for editing images. The hard drives and RAM are quite easy to install, and if you have any questions the manual or we can provide the answers.

22. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

I know the $20 price is for the bundle, BUT i got to keep the wired mouse too! Batteries run out, none in the drawer, don't want to run to the store, it's a good score. I didn't realized that rhymed until after I wrote that. :rolleyes:

23. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Congrats...

I love my Mac Pro.. I upgraded the ram and stuck some additional hard drives in it. Love it and have zero complaints with it. It is fast and I can do plenty of multi tasking with it. Having photoshop open or lightroom is no problem. I shoot in raw also and I have had zero issues. I love it and do not regret it at all!!!!

Nice to see you get some discounts with your purchase also! Added bonus.

24. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Don't think the new mac pro's will be out before mid summer (maybe longer). A refurb 2.8 will work fine for what you do and save yourself 400 bucks. I grabbed one a month ago for video editing. Still have my 2ghz quad mac pro and the 2.8 smokes it. As for apple care, you have 1 year from date of purchase to decide. I didn't on my 1st mac pro and it still going strong which is almost 3 years old. You have to watch the refurb section every day as they go fast. You can upgrade your video card if your not happy with what comes with it.

25. Duke Mac macrumors newbie

Congratulations! Enjoy