My Macbbok Pro acting funny after installing 8 GB memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by excelsiorsmith, Jun 29, 2012.

1. excelsiorsmith macrumors newbie

Got a Macbook Pro 3, 17", OS X 10.6.7, 2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo—just installed GB memory.

Works like a dream w/ Creative Suite—amazingly fast. But after a day, my internet was sloooow. No matter where I went.

Repaired my permissions, restarted, & BAM! my browsers were super fast. But now it's slow again. Repaired permissions, fast again, but I shouldn't have to do this every few days.

What gives? Does anybody have any solutions/tips?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help—got a few jobs to do this weekend that require extensive research online & web design...would be nice to do it w/out crawling to the finish line...

2. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

It might be a coincidence, But your problem you said that your internet is being slow? Besides that anymore problem with the laptop? It might be internet issue... might be your router or your provider. Or might be the DNS. Do you have any internet device like another laptop try to test your internet speed on that.

3. excelsiorsmith thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not my internet. Two different Cafes gave me the same results. Thanks, though...

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Did you reset the PRAM?

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What MacBook? There is no MacBook Pro 3.... clarify model

6. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

PRAM is a good suggestion. How about using a different browser? Never heard such thing memory can slow down internet connection. It can slow down your boot time if the memory is bad or even mess up your boot up. Or can cause Kernel panic.

----------

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3521

This article might help

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'd also try reseating the sticks. These machines are pretty old. I'm currently on a Core 2 Duo myself.

8. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

No its not old. Petium 4 is Old not Core 2 Duo. I also have Core 2 Duo Mac it can run all the latest app might not be the fastest to do it but it is capable to run all the latest apps. You can even run Final Cut X with it

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Standard ram reply: remove the new stick, and replace the old ones - does your internet work better then?

Not sure on MBPs, but in the memory access door - are there any RF connectors (for the wifi antenna) nearby? Any chance you bumped one when you had your machine open?

10. BeeJee macrumors 6502

This. If your computer runs normal again you just got hit with some bad RAM. easy fix

BTW TDI guy, do you mean the cars with TDI's cause I have one and they're awesome! Lol

11. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

12. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Sounds like placebo initially.

Adding RAM isn’t going to make anything faster, except when it means you don’t have to page to disk. I highly doubt that was a problem when browsing the web.