Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nalbagli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I am really happy with my macbook, but apparently the update to El Capitán beta has ruined my battery definitely. I was really happy with battery life, whenever I used Safari with brightness at 50% my battery regularly lasted somewhere near 9 hours. Problems started when I updated to beta and after a few Cycles I saw a huge drop in battery life, because of this I decided to go back to Yosemite, thing is it didn't solve my problem. Now when I use my Macbook only with Safari open and brightness at 50% I am getting 5 hours tops, this is really frustrating as I have no idea of what to do to solve this problem. I've tried everything including resetting the DMC.

Any ideas.

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
I am really happy with my macbook, but apparently the update to El Capitán beta has ruined my battery definitely. I was really happy with battery life, whenever I used Safari with brightness at 50% my battery regularly lasted somewhere near 9 hours. Problems started when I updated to beta and after a few Cycles I saw a huge drop in battery life, because of this I decided to go back to Yosemite, thing is it didn't solve my problem. Now when I use my Macbook only with Safari open and brightness at 50% I am getting 5 hours tops, this is really frustrating as I have no idea of what to do to solve this problem. I've tried everything including resetting the DMC.

Any ideas.
I would suggest downgrading to Yosemite until El Capt is released!

Dwayne82

macrumors member
May 16, 2015
Switzerland
My Macbook battery has been amazing on the notebook, with my usual use and the screen brightness set to 50%, normally I would get around 9 hours consistently, also once I charged it to 100% the time estimate with only Safari open would show me around 10 hours. But since my las two charges battery under the same usage conditions have lasted like 5 hours, and on a 100% the time estimate on OS X shows me around 5;30 hours which makes no sense at all because I have made no changes or downloaded anything new.

Any ideas?

Any ideas.

Yesterday in this thread, you told that you changed nothing On your macbook (no update/installation etc.) and that the battery drop came out of the nowhere, today the battery drop happened after the el Capitan beta update?!? So what happened for real?

nalbagli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I am sorry, english is not my primary language so I probably expressed myself incorrectly. When I wrote here: "because of this I decided to go back to Yosemite, thing is it didn't solve my problem" what I meant is after the update, because of the battery issues I have downgraded back to Yosemite, and this didn't solve my battery problems which I find it to be really strange.

Dwayne82 regarding the other thread I created, I meant that before doing the update to El Capitan, and after Downgrading back to Yosemite, there where no differences in how I used or what I downloaded to the computer, so using it the same way, with the same OS with the same apps it resulted in half the battery life. Again, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

nalbagli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I do not think those words mean what you think they mean.

Running a beta release of El Capitan in no way caused physical destruction to your battery, officially or otherwise.

That is why I can make no sense of it, but the matter of the fact is I have already downgraded back to Yosemite and my battery is lasting only half the time it did before the update. That's why I think my battery is ruined

Dwayne82

macrumors member
May 16, 2015
Switzerland
Dwayne82 regarding the other thread I created, I meant that before doing the update to El Capitan, and after Downgrading back to Yosemite, there where no differences in how I used or what I downloaded to the computer, so using it the same way, with the same OS with the same apps it resulted in half the battery life. Again, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

So that would have been an useful info in the other thread and this thread here would not be nessersary. To help you, the infos in the other thread are also useful. My advice for you:
Make shure, that no indexing and filevault activities are running. If you lastly opened the Fotos app for the first time, it could be busy to update your library (i heard it could last for several days). Otherwise, Make a backup of your machine, clean install Yosemite 10.10.4 and take a look how the battery behaves. If there is no change, bring it to the apple store!

nalbagli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
So that would have been an useful info in the other thread and this thread here would not be nessersary. To help you, the infos in the other thread are also useful. My advice for you:
Make shure, that no indexing and filevault activities are running. If you lastly opened the Fotos app for the first time, it could be busy to update your library (i heard it could last for several days). Otherwise, Make a backup of your machine, clean install Yosemite 10.10.4 and take a look how the battery behaves. If there is no change, bring it to the apple store!
Thanks for the help I'll check those things

sasha.danielle

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2015
Thanks for the help I'll check those things
Also, Apple just updated their policies on batteries this month. If during your period of Apple Care, your MacBook battery drops beneath like 80 percent or something of the advertised capacity, Apple will replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.