My Macbook can't boot anymore, maybe HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jonnyhead, Aug 9, 2008.

1. jonnyhead macrumors newbie

hello everyone who read my thread.
    and thank you for spending your valuable time and trying to help me.

today i was organizing my mp3 through itune on my window xp(through bootcamp). and i went downstair to get some water. when i came back, my macbook had white screen and never back to normal screen. that was really weired.:confused:

then i was trying to restart the computer and holding opt button so i can go back to window mode but it made some scratch sound and just stay to white screen. :eek: i think the sound came from the HDD.

im not sure what just happen but i am guessing that HDD must died.
    i had reinstalled osx 3 times and 2 time of windows. maybe that cause HDD to die? i dont know.

please if anyone knows what the problem is, tell me and if i need to replace with a brand new HDD, please recommend me a HDD. thank you very much!

2. vniow macrumors G4

If that was the case most Windows users would have to replace their drives every three months or so.

Boot off your Install DVD and see if Disk Utility can see it. If not then its very dead.

3. jonnyhead thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried that and my mac couldn't read it too.
    and couldn't even read cd too.

or won't be able to read without HDD?

4. SaintDiablo macrumors member

I'm in the same boat as you, what my Apple technician told me to do was to just sent the HD to a digital recovery professional and see if he can do anything about it. Other than that...You're screwed, sorry mate.

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Well hopefully you have a backup of your data. But your HDD is dead. Get a new one pop it in forget this ever happened!

Don

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Try to boot from the MacOS X install DVDs. If that works then your hard drive is broken. If that doesn't work then we don't know what happened, but there is a chance that something completely different is broken (like RAM chips gone bad), and that you could pull out the hard drive, and use it in another Mac, in case it has valuable data.

In that case, you just need someone who is good with a screwdriver, buy an external 2.5" SATA USB case, move the hard drive from the MacBook to the case and see if you can boot a different MacBook from it.

Something else to try that would be cheap: It could be that the display is completely broken and everything else works. In that case, you need a FireWire cable and another Mac and check if you can boot your MacBook in FireWire mode.

7. jonnyhead thread starter macrumors newbie

it is dead.
    im going to get a new hard drive with 250GB.
    this time trying to avoid hitachi since the original one was hitachi.
    could not be trusted, you know.

anybody recommend any brand or any model with a reasonable price?

thank you very much.

8. SaintDiablo macrumors member

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Another recommendation for Western Digital - but I would go for the 320GB.....

10. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Is it not under warranty? I had mine crap out on me too and they replaced it free of charge, thankfully I had full backup of everything. I hope you do to.

With the advent of TimeMachine I dont see why anyone would not have backups anymore.

Zack