My Macbook getting pretty slugging. Anything I can do about it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stanny, Jul 30, 2010.

1. stanny macrumors 6502

It's a late 2009 MBP 13". Recently, when playing games or watching flash video on the web, it hangs for a few secs then resumes. Note that this did not happen much before, only just started recently so it's not because of the game graphics or anything like that. Anything I can do about it?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You can upgrade the RAM and/or put in a SSD, that would speed it pretty significantly.

3. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

It's already at 4gb ram. Is upgrading to SSD something easy to do?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yeah, it's a bit pricey for the SSD, but it is the single biggest upgrade that you can get for your MacBook Pro and it's pretty easy to install. Here's how you replace it. For the SSD, I'd recommend OWC or Intel, both are very reliable and fast, OWC is faster, however.

5. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

Just switch to Windows 7. It doesnt slow down like OS X. Or is it the other way around? Nope, cant be the other way around because yours has slowed down.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Wow... Really? They're just asking about how to speed back up their computer, they don't need replies like this.

7. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

My bad, Ive been hanging around Mac users too much. ;)

8. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

So changing HDs is the only way? There's no defragmenter tools or something similar?

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could try opening Disk Utility and repairing permissions. As for defragmenting, OS X does that automatically, so you don't need to worry about it.

10. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

lol some peoples 2 cents are worth so much

i also have a macbook which has been running slow. I only have 1Gb of RAM though so i am going to upgrade that very soon.

11. BudgetBaby macrumors member

My year old MBP was running really slow. In the end I lifted all my files onto an external drive and then did a complete reinstall of OSX and applications and then put back all my files. It took me best part of a day.

Now it's back to normal.

It's replies like that that make MacRumours a really unpleasant place to be. You should be ashamed that you chose to answer a simple question in such a way.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

On reason for sudden unexplained slowdowns is a defective hard drive, that is one that is on its way out. Make sure that you do regular Time Machine backups (the rule is: Your hard drive _will_ fail one day. Every single hard drive in the world in every single computer _will_ fail one day). If it's late 2009 then it should still be under warranty, so ask your Apple Store if they can check for it. And again, make sure that you have a Time Machine backup. If you don't have one, buy a cheap 1 TB external USB drive, that will do very well for that purpose.

13. tekilla macrumors member

I often run the following, usually before/after repairing my permissions;

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

14. smogsy macrumors 6502a

i can't believe, most mac users seem to give very outrageous advice. its like OSX has no flaws or you overlook the simple things far to much. (no im not a troll i use All OSes daily), and i enjoy my mac the most but seriously instantly replying with you have a defect HDD.

im not try to flame here but consider the simple things first guys!

Your Macbook is slowing down on Games & Flash Video?

and people are telling you to buy a new HDD/RAM even though it was fine before.

things you should could be before wasting your money:
    Clear out your History/reset safari or whatever browser you use.
    check to see if flash has been update recently if it has try the older version.
    try a different site?
    Leave your Macbook on with no use for 1-2 hours or so OSX will do its maintenance (fixed my Imac problems i had with slowness)

You could also
    CHeck & Repair. permissions, flash is very bad at permission keeping

hope that helps.

15. charliex5 macrumors regular

I can't believe people are suggesting buying an SSD before performing the slew of basic maintenance tasks available or reinstalling OSX.

Crazy...

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

SJ is telling you to stay away from flash... j/k, do the basic maint, make a TM back up of your HDD, etc as others have said and check the tech tools to see if you read any HDD issues before spending any $$...

17. bully worm macrumors regular

Best thing to do is backup using Time Machine and reinstall the OS.

I usually perform a reinstall once a year just to keep things fresh.

18. MrMister111 macrumors 68010

Sorry if this sounds daft (still class myself as a noob to Mac coming from PC :)

But wont this not re-install the OS, but then after using TM to put it back be back to what it was?

eg if you made an Image, then reinstalling the image would just go back to when the image was taken, does TM not work like this?

cheers

19. bully worm macrumors regular

I believe you can tell Time Machine not to backup certain files and folders. I may be wrong though.

20. jakk2809 macrumors member

I agree that reinstalling the OS will help. I do it about once a year. Unfortunately your system will slow down over time no matter what, Windows or OSX. I'm guessing it's accumulating unnecessary files and junk that slow it down.

You can backup with Time Machine and reinstall. When you want to restore, just restore your documents, photos, videos, music, etc. You don't really need to restore the system files.

21. Aaron from KY macrumors member

All these people seem to want to do is reinstall the OS. I agree with one of the previous posters, use Activity Monitor, or the iStat Pro dashboard widget to see what your resource usage is at. How often do you do a clean reboot? If you put your computer asleep with a lot of apps open they can leak memory and slow down your system, a reboot will close all apps and free all those resources. The simplest solutions are often the best.