My MacBook is coming apart!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brooks.curly, May 26, 2010.

1. brooks.curly macrumors member

Guys, I need your help. The rubber bottom of my MacBook (unibody, late 2009 model) is coming off. Should I take off all the screws and try to reposition it? Also, it is under the one year warranty but not under the 90 day Apple tech support. Will Best Buy fix it for me? I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!
    Brooks

[​IMG]

2. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

wowza, how did that happen?
    i would go to the Apple Store or call Apple before going to Best Buy.
    if this happened on it's own, they would schedule a mail in repair (if there's no Apple Store near you.)

you wouldn't really need tech help because this is obviously not a software issue.

3. brooks.curly thread starter macrumors member

The nearest Apple store is three hours away :/
    Also, I'd rather leave calling Apple as a last resort, as I would really like to get this taken care of without paying anything.
    It did happen on its own, I didn't drop it or tamper with the screws or anything. I'm starting to think it may be heat related? Perhaps the rubber partially melted and is coming off because of that. I don't know.

4. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

Yes leave it as it is as if you mess with it in any way the could possibly claim that you did it. I would call apple and tell them about it. Most likely they will schedule a RMA return and repair at no cost to you.

5. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

That's not a unibody. The aluminium ones are called 'unibody' as their bottom frame (and te top) are milled from one piece of aluminium. With plastic, that manufacturing process makes no sense.

I'm sorry about your MacBook. Provided that there is no sign of external damage, I'm sure that Apple will repair it free of charge. You might be even given a new one if you are lucky.

6. brooks.curly thread starter macrumors member

Mmmmm... Yea it is.
    http://www.apple.com/macbook/design.html

7. alectheking macrumors 6502a

8. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

No, it's not. You haven't got a unibody.

These are unibodies, apart from my MB Air:

EDIT:

bugger me, Apple actually made you believe that you can get 'unibody' plastic. Well done to them, that's magical!

ENjoy your pressed unibody!

Attached Files:

9. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    LOL, yea :apple: is wrong, you're right... :rolleyes:

10. alectheking macrumors 6502a

11. brooks.curly thread starter macrumors member

Right or wrong, the site says "Unibody". I included Unibody in the description so you guys would know which model I'm talking about. Seems my definition caused more chaos than clarity. Sorry for the inconvenience...?

12. brooks.curly thread starter macrumors member

Didn't see that part of the message earlier. Thanks for your condolences and advice!

13. fluffyx macrumors 6502

If you call 800-APL-CARE, you can arrange for a mail-in repair.

It's very possible that once your Mac reaches the repair center (via overnight shipping on Apple's dime, thanks!), they could call you and say the repair doesn't appear to be covered under warranty. The part that appears to be coming apart is not one that Apple usually covers, but it doesn't seem like the issue is caused by accidental damage.

If this happens, just firmly speak with the agent and explain that it happened spontaneously (if it did), and hopefully they can straighten it out for you.

Let us know what happens here!

14. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

Regardless of the method of construction used, the current plastic MacBooks are, in fact, unibody MacBooks. This is because the body is made from a single piece of plastic just as the unibody pro models are made from a single piece of aluminum. Whether they are molded or milled makes no difference.

In answer to the original question, I suggest dealing with Apple about the repairs and leave Best Buy out of it. The unibody MacBooks were first released less than a year ago (Nov 2009), so there's no way the original warantee has expired yet.

15. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

right.
    Apple won't charge you,
    and Best Buy will take a while and probably not do the job as good.

Even if this was out of warranty (which it can't be)
    I doubt Apple would charge you, since this is obviously some kind of defect.
    This isn't some malfunction issue, this is a self destructing physical issue.
    definitely should be covered.

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

17. jmac1642 macrumors newbie

jmac1642

macbook rubber bottom delaminating

6 months after buying the 13" macbook i noticed 2 blisters appear on the bottom. a week later the blisters had enlarged and the rubber bottom started to separate from the aluminum at one of the edges.

took it into the apple store, they ordered a replacement bottom, called me 2 days later to come in and have it replaced - took about 15 minutes.
    no charge - no hassle - still under warranty.

both techs i spoke with had seen this before - one offered that it had been exposed to too much sunlight (this macbook has never seen a sunbeam and moves only between my desk and lap; treated very gently - it doesn't leave the house).

both techs said this was a function of 'not enough glue'.

disappointed that it failed after 6 months, but pleased that it was repaired quickly and cheerfully.

hoping that the new bottom is better than new and ready to be as durable and trusty as my 3 previous macs.

18. SUPwahine macrumors newbie

mine too : (

Mine started coming apart today. Just noticed it. Is it because of the heat? It is warped so no way of taking apart to re-position. Help...