Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brooks.curly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2009
Missouri
Guys, I need your help. The rubber bottom of my MacBook (unibody, late 2009 model) is coming off. Should I take off all the screws and try to reposition it? Also, it is under the one year warranty but not under the 90 day Apple tech support. Will Best Buy fix it for me? I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!
Brooks

05-26-10_2144.jpg

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
wowza, how did that happen?
i would go to the Apple Store or call Apple before going to Best Buy.
if this happened on it's own, they would schedule a mail in repair (if there's no Apple Store near you.)

you wouldn't really need tech help because this is obviously not a software issue.

brooks.curly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2009
Missouri
wowza, how did that happen?
i would go to the Apple Store or call Apple before going to Best Buy.
if this happened on it's own, they would schedule a mail in repair (if there's no Apple Store near you.)

you wouldn't really need tech help because this is obviously not a software issue.

The nearest Apple store is three hours away :/
Also, I'd rather leave calling Apple as a last resort, as I would really like to get this taken care of without paying anything.
It did happen on its own, I didn't drop it or tamper with the screws or anything. I'm starting to think it may be heat related? Perhaps the rubber partially melted and is coming off because of that. I don't know.

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yes leave it as it is as if you mess with it in any way the could possibly claim that you did it. I would call apple and tell them about it. Most likely they will schedule a RMA return and repair at no cost to you.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
That's not a unibody. The aluminium ones are called 'unibody' as their bottom frame (and te top) are milled from one piece of aluminium. With plastic, that manufacturing process makes no sense.

I'm sorry about your MacBook. Provided that there is no sign of external damage, I'm sure that Apple will repair it free of charge. You might be even given a new one if you are lucky.

brooks.curly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2009
Missouri
That's not a unibody. The aluminium ones are called 'unibody' as their bottom frame (and te top) are milled from one piece of aluminium. With plastic, that manufacturing process makes no sense.

I'm sorry about your MacBook. Provided that there is no sign of external damage, I'm sure that Apple will repair it free of charge. You might be even given a new one if you are lucky.

Didn't see that part of the message earlier. Thanks for your condolences and advice!

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
If you call 800-APL-CARE, you can arrange for a mail-in repair.

It's very possible that once your Mac reaches the repair center (via overnight shipping on Apple's dime, thanks!), they could call you and say the repair doesn't appear to be covered under warranty. The part that appears to be coming apart is not one that Apple usually covers, but it doesn't seem like the issue is caused by accidental damage.

If this happens, just firmly speak with the agent and explain that it happened spontaneously (if it did), and hopefully they can straighten it out for you.

Let us know what happens here!

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009

Regardless of the method of construction used, the current plastic MacBooks are, in fact, unibody MacBooks. This is because the body is made from a single piece of plastic just as the unibody pro models are made from a single piece of aluminum. Whether they are molded or milled makes no difference.

In answer to the original question, I suggest dealing with Apple about the repairs and leave Best Buy out of it. The unibody MacBooks were first released less than a year ago (Nov 2009), so there's no way the original warantee has expired yet.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
right.
Apple won't charge you,
and Best Buy will take a while and probably not do the job as good.

Even if this was out of warranty (which it can't be)
I doubt Apple would charge you, since this is obviously some kind of defect.
This isn't some malfunction issue, this is a self destructing physical issue.
definitely should be covered.

jmac1642

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
vancouver bc canada
macbook rubber bottom delaminating

6 months after buying the 13" macbook i noticed 2 blisters appear on the bottom. a week later the blisters had enlarged and the rubber bottom started to separate from the aluminum at one of the edges.

took it into the apple store, they ordered a replacement bottom, called me 2 days later to come in and have it replaced - took about 15 minutes.
no charge - no hassle - still under warranty.

both techs i spoke with had seen this before - one offered that it had been exposed to too much sunlight (this macbook has never seen a sunbeam and moves only between my desk and lap; treated very gently - it doesn't leave the house).

both techs said this was a function of 'not enough glue'.

disappointed that it failed after 6 months, but pleased that it was repaired quickly and cheerfully.

hoping that the new bottom is better than new and ready to be as durable and trusty as my 3 previous macs.

SUPwahine

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
Maui
mine too : (

Mine started coming apart today. Just noticed it. Is it because of the heat? It is warped so no way of taking apart to re-position. Help...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.