My Macbook is Experiencing Problems Plz Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thebriancollins, Apr 9, 2012.

1. thebriancollins macrumors newbie

So My Macbook Pro is experiencing a few problems

1.The other day I went to turn it on, but the screen & Keys would not come on. I tried everything, Starting in safe mode,Starting in Single user-mode with command /sbin/fsck -fy, Neither worked. So I typed in the command Reboot & it started up fine. Now today it started again & I did the same thing. Whats going on here?

2.My Macbook keeps freezing up on me were I have no choice but to hit the power for sevral seconds until it turns off

3. Everytime I shut my mac down My trackpad settings go back to default. So I have to change them back everytime i get on

Anyone else having these problems? What should I do?

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Sounds to me like a hardware problem. What you should do depends on how old the Mac is and where you live. Getting an appointment at an Apple Store to have someone look at the problem sounds like a good idea. And if you don't have a backup of your hard drive and anything of value on it, buying a backup drive and making a backup _now_ is absolutely essential.

If the problem is defective RAM or a defective hard drive (both could create these symptoms) it is cheap to fix. Any other problem - what you should do will depend on the cost of a repair and the age of your MacBook.

3. 2oahu macrumors newbie

Your issues are probably caused by hardware. I'd do the following in this order

1. Try to backup data asap.
    2. Did you install RAM modules any 3rd party vendor like Amazon or Newegg? If so, try removing the 3rd party RAM and see how it works.
    3. Try to set up appt with Apple store for help.

In my experience cheap 3rd RAM was the cause in the majority of 'hardware' problems in relatively new computers. I recommend sticking with Kingston, Crucial and Samsung RAM modules only.