My macbook pro 13' is Slow. Upgrade RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hazedragon45, Dec 28, 2010.

1. hazedragon45 macrumors regular

I've been told to upgrade my macbook pro 13' from 2009, 2.26ghz 2GB ram because it lags when i have lots of applications open. Will this help solve the issue? If i want to upgrade to 4gb, do i just buy another 2GB ram and stick it in? i heard there are 2 slots.

Thanks.

2. articcine macrumors regular

Upgrading the ram sounds like the right solution. I'll recommend you to let some Apple service people do it though. Depends on if you feel comfortable and able to do it yourself.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You can change the RAM yourself. All you need is a #00 Phillips screwdriver and 5 minutes or less of your time. Pull a few screws, remove the panel, pull the RAM out, insert the new RAM, replace the panel and put the screws back.

If my cat had opposing thumbs, he could do it!;)

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Are you familiar with how to read the RAM allocation? If not, open the 'System Monitor', click 'System Memory', and either take a screen shot or give us the readings. More than likely yes, it will help, but that will be the proof. Pay close attention to Page Ins and Page Outs.

It isn't terribly hard to do. If you go to 4GB, you can get 2 2GB sticks for pretty cheap as a lot of people here go from 4 to 8 and have to remove both sticks obviously. If I still had them, I would send you mine. You can probably find another nice member on here to help you out. And more than likely, you have 2 memory sticks at 1GB each; it is usually cheaper and makers, when given the chance, use both DIMM slots.

5. hazedragon45 thread starter macrumors regular

if i have 2 1GB memory, can i change one of em to a 4gb to make it 1+4=5GB? I'd go to apple but I'm pretty much broke, and i'm sure a DIY would be a lot cheaper.

Yes, if anyone has one lying around that they don't use i'd really appreciate it if you send it over! :D:D:D

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You should look up your specific Macbook Pro to see what type and how much RAM is can handle. Check it out >>here<<.

7. hazedragon45 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I just did and it could hold up to 8GB.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Now you know what type and choices of upgrade you have, plus you can buy it from OWC. It's where I get mine.

9. hazedragon45 thread starter macrumors regular

how effective would changing one of my 1GB to at 2GB to make my total be 3GB?

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

To check what memory you have: Apple Menu, About this Mac, More Info, Hardware/Memory. That will show you exactly what you have (you might have two 1GB chips, or one 2GB chip).

Upgrading to 4 GB is quite cheap and is likely to help. To check whether you have enough memory, open "Activity Monitor" in the Utilities folder, click on "System Memory". If you have little "Free memory" plus "Inactive memory" then getting more RAM should help.

11. hazedragon45 thread starter macrumors regular

Right now i have 41mb free, 500mb inactive. What is "inactive memory" and why do i have 1.95 of my 2GB used!!!!?!?!

Things opened: iTunes, Firefox, uTorrent and Adium. I'm surprised that these things would use this much

Now i'm mad.

12. FEINT macrumors newbie

Have a look here for an explanation : http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20006694-263.html
    HOpe this helps!

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

"Inactive" memory contains data that is not really needed and can be thrown away at any time, but might come handy in the future. For example, if your computer reads some data from the hard drive, a copy will likely be in "inactive" memory in case it is used again. However, if you do things that really _need_ memory, then the data in "inactive" memory are just thrown away at no cost. So really only 1.45 GB of your 2 GB are used at this point.

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

What are your page outs relative to your page in ratings? When out exceeds in, then it's def RAM time from what I gather

15. pricej636 macrumors 6502

All I want to know is where you found a 13' Macbook at. I thought the biggest size was 17" ?!?!?

16. BigMoo macrumors member

13' is quite large isn't it? How would one go about carrying that around? :p

17. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Unless your a hollywood movie producer editing thousands of hours of film....8gb of ram is retarded. For 99% of all Macbook owners 4gb is more than enough. Secondly if you really want to speed up the mac swap out the HD for a SSD. The ram upgrade will be barely noticeable during normal daily use.

I purchased my 4gb kit from OWC last month for 60 bucks(approx). Took my retarded pet monkey with broken thumbs 3 mins to put it in.

18. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Running a VM will eat up alot of ram, easily 8gig if you let it/need the performace.

19. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

The only problem here is that the ram would not operate in dual channel mode, so you might actually take a performance hit.

20. vant macrumors 65816

Here is a tip:
    Drop firefox. It uses more ram than chrome. I'd rather use safari before I touch firefox.

Chrome is best atm, but it's always changing.

Upgrade to 8gb. It's only around $100 right now for 2x4gb

21. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Going from 4GB to 8GB may not have any real advantages and will cost more. I went to 8GB because I would run down to about 500MB of free RAM, but my 'Page Outs' were minimal and the portion that was 'Inactive' was over 1.5GB...so it was probably a waste for me. 95% of the time I have more than 4GB in the 'Free'. I've always read and have been told my members on this forum (with much greater knowledge than mine) when 'Page Outs' exceeds 'Page Ins', then you want to go for some RAM. And IIRC whether you are on an odd or even number of GB, in the MBP it does not make a real difference (although the old in me said to have both DIMMs the same way :p)