My Macbook pro got drenched with water need help!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khizzzer, Apr 5, 2009.

1. khizzzer macrumors newbie

A flask of water went on my macbook mainly on the keyboard, and then quickly i turned it up side down took the power cord out and started cleaning it with the towel and turned the macbook off. Then 10 mins later i turned it back on it was fine, keyboard was fine, LCD was fine wireless was fine. Then like in 20 mins my friend told me to shut it off and take the battery out i did and i am told to wait for 3 days to turm it back on. Do u guys think my macbook pro will be messed up. Any thing else i can do.

2. cmaier macrumors G3

First, you are in the wrong forum. This is mac pro, not macbook pro.

Follow your friend's advice. Do not turn it on again until it thoroughly dries out. If it was just water, you should be fine as long as you do not turn it on until it is dry.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It will probably be corroded after time and die an early death.

You should really listen to your friend, wait 3 days for it to completely dry out.

Shut it off. Go. Now.

4. khizzzer thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL i did that as soon as he told me, but do u guys think the laptop can be screwed, if it does wat is the worst that can happen. Is there anything else i can do

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Really, it depends on the purity of the water. Tap water will cause corrosion a lot faster on and around the electrical components than pure water will, but chances are, that MB will not last much longer.

6. cmaier macrumors G3

If it's water, there will be nothing left behind when it dries, and you will be fine. Just don't turn it on/don't hook up the battery, because drinking water is a conductor, and can short things out.

7. khizzzer thread starter macrumors newbie

so u think it laptop is going to die?

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Why is this in the Desktop MacPro section of the site??
    Have MacBook Pro's been reclassified as a desktop machine??

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It probably will eventually. Or at least have a shorter life span like stated above. :rolleyes:

10. khizzzer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea im going to do that, ill leave it off for 3-4 days hopefully it will work

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Eventually, yes. Can't say when, and any AppleCare coverage you may have had is now gone.

It will be moved, do not worry.

12. jons macrumors 6502

There isn't anything you can do more than you already have. Leave it off for 3 days, it should work fine then.

13. khizzzer thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do, thx alot guys

14. MacVidCards Suspended

You should definitely put a fan on it.

And water DOES have plenty of minerals in it, unless it is distilled water.

15. khizzzer thread starter macrumors newbie

I Know it is so i created this similiar thread in the macbook pro site and ppl are blamming me for spamming lol...

other than that you guys helped me out, i should just leave it i guess

16. khizzzer thread starter macrumors newbie

I used a blow dry in cool already for 20 mins. will i need to replace my keyboard

17. cmaier macrumors G3

wait three days and find out.

18. khizzzer thread starter macrumors newbie

cool will do thx bro

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Just don't stick the thing in a oven...
    I remember some fool did this and she was somewhat distraught after! You'll be replacing more than just the Keyboard....

20. khizzzer thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL, tht is sumfin i havnt done thankfully, lol tommorrow i have a damn midterm and i worrying about this laptop :confused:

21. cmaier macrumors G3

Eh. Don't panic bro. I dumped a bottle of diet coke on my HP laptop a few years back. Took the keyboard out and mopped up the standing liquid, pulled the battery, and left it turned upside down for a few days.

I think I did that when I started law school in 2002. I finally retired that laptop 2 days ago because the fans stopped working.

You'll be fine.

22. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

Yeah no biggie man. My mom left a full coffee mug in my truck and it went straight into my powerbook. I took it inside to let it dry and when I went back outside to dry my seat she had already turned on my computer inside. It gurgled and I turned it back off and flipped it back upside down. I'm typing on it now and several Mac geniuses have been inside my mac to switch my hard drive among other things (unrelated to the spill) without remarking about the damage. Don't stress, just a couple thousand dollar spill. ;)

23. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Agree, wait until its dried for sure, and then the very first thing you should do when you start it up is copy off all your data, because the odds are high it will fail soon if any water did get onto the motherboard (unless it was a flask of distilled water? :D )

24. khizzzer thread starter macrumors newbie

but the macbook pro is pretty tightly built, and it has pretty small places threw the keyboard for the water to seep threw, hopefully when i open the macbook the thing is completely dry, so it would work

25. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Quite possibly, and taking a full backup will be like powerful voodoo to assist this, take the backup and you won't even need it, DON'T take it and you just know whats going to happen in a few weeks time, right ? :D