Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalpencil

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Manchester, UK
i'm sorry but can we get off this guys back.. i know there's TONNES of other threads like this and he probably should used the search but this thread's turned a little hostile. talking about auto-sinbinning noobs to a sub-forum they have no chance of ever clambering out of because they didn't use the search tool seems a push too far.

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
lol no I think the majority of n00bs post just to ask a question that would easily belong in another thread or would turn up amazing results when utilizing the search button.

I find it surprising that people are so quick to post a thread asking a new question. I always used to search on Google for what I wanted, it was years before I had a question that was sufficiently obscure to justify going through the pain of registering as a user. :rolleyes:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Might as well post something meaningful..

Here's my prediction:

- 15.4" (two models) and 17" model
- CPU speed bump
- 2GB of RAM in the low 15" model, and 4GB in the top 15" and 17" model.
- 200GB hard drive in the low 15" model, and 250GB in the 15" and 17" model.
- New GPU card (could be an ATI or a nVidia card, don't really have a preference, long as it works, isn't flawed and good performance against wattage)
- MacBook/Air style keyboard (it is going to happen eventually) and back-lit
- Same trackpad in current generation
- Magnetic Latch
- Blu-Ray Combo Drive
- Two FW800 ports, and 2 USB ports (3 on the 17" model)
- Mini DVI

What I really want to see in the case re-design is added air vents at the sides (possibly assisted by a fan) to really cut down on the heat issues. I'm all for loosing what, 10 minutes of battery life, for the sake of two mini-fans at the sides to help push out the hot air, especially if it means all fans will run at a lower RPM against temperature, so less noise.

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
Might as well post something meaningful..
Ouch! Harsh but fair. :rolleyes:

What I really want to see in the case re-design is added air vents at the sides (possibly assisted by a fan) to really cut down on the heat issues. I'm all for loosing what, 10 minutes of battery life, for the sake of two mini-fans at the sides to help push out the hot air, especially if it means all fans will run at a lower RPM against temperature, so less noise.

Of all the things they could do that would definitely be the most valuable. As things stand, I find it incredible that it stays as cool as it does.

Fabiano

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Palmas, Brazil

I dont see it happening at all. Actually I think that the air flow design of the MB Pro is awesome, its one of these things that take it apart of any laptop Design. Adding air vents in the sides of it will sacrifice some ports, and make it look as ugly as Dells, Acers, HPs etc. Also Im sure that many people, like me, just hate hot air blowing in your hand when using an external mouse.

Instead I think they would use less Watt hungry chip designs.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I dont see it happening at all. Actually I think that the air flow design of the MB Pro is awesome, its one of these things that take it apart of any laptop Design. Adding air vents in the sides of it will sacrifice some ports, and make it look as ugly as Dells, Acers, HPs etc. Also Im sure that many people, like me, just hate hot air blowing in your hand when using an external mouse.

The PowerBook had grills at the sides, although I can't comment on how effective they were, as I never owned a PowerBook. It won't sacrifice ports if designed correctly - assuming the curve of the Air, grills along the underside of the curve.

I really don't think the air flow is that good in the MacBook Pro. It gets incredibly warm from little CPU usage, with fans making a racket.

As for air blowing when you are using a mouse - you'd rather your laptop made a racket, got warm than having a little bit air blowing out the sides? It would only be felt (if at all) when doing CPU intensive stuff.

Curved design like MacBook Air, slightly thinner screen but slightly thicker base to accommodate more ventilation, and with the curves, grills on the underside of them and could be fan assisted.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Or, they just create a "newbie" section that is devoted to newbie status members. Then, they have to post a certain amount to gain access to legit forums.

Like the Marketplace... it could work.

Like that idea, too. Possibly introduce some self-moderation, so people with more highly rated posts get promoted faster.

Oh, and I don't think the grills on the sides of the MBP keyboards are for air. I don't own one, but I always thought they were for the speakers.

Pak^Man

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Columbus, OH
:D
Can't we all just get along?
Why sound like cranky-old-men?? "You Whipper-Schnappers (Newbies) get off my lawn (Forum)

LOL!!!!

You do realize that ecah one of us had to buy a first Mac at some point and had some issues... ;)

[BTW, I love the Smiley faces] :cool:

Fabiano

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Palmas, Brazil
The PowerBook had grills at the sides, although I can't comment on how effective they were, as I never owned a PowerBook. It won't sacrifice ports if designed correctly - assuming the curve of the Air, grills along the underside of the curve.

I really don't think the air flow is that good in the MacBook Pro. It gets incredibly warm from little CPU usage, with fans making a racket.

As for air blowing when you are using a mouse - you'd rather your laptop made a racket, got warm than having a little bit air blowing out the sides? It would only be felt (if at all) when doing CPU intensive stuff.

Curved design like MacBook Air, slightly thinner screen but slightly thicker base to accommodate more ventilation, and with the curves, grills on the underside of them and could be fan assisted.

well, I had a Toshiba, and It really bothered me a lot because of this. It had air vents in the sides, and used to blow hot air all the time, even when not doing something intensive. My early Toshiba used to get so high temperatures than my actual MBP, the difference is because while Toshiba is made of plastic, that isolates the high temperatures inside, the MBP is all aluminium so it spreads the heat much better to the exterior. Good for the computer itself but bad for your skin when touching :D

Fabiano

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Palmas, Brazil
Like that idea, too. Possibly introduce some self-moderation, so people with more highly rated posts get promoted faster.

Oh, and I don't think the grills on the sides of the MBP keyboards are for air. I don't own one, but I always thought they were for the speakers.

they really are for the speakers, but we are not talking about this. We are discussing about this:

200707161905127171.jpg

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
well, I had a Toshiba, and It really bothered me a lot because of this. It had air vents in the sides, and used to blow hot air all the time, even when not doing something intensive. My early Toshiba used to get so high temperatures than my actual MBP, the difference is because while Toshiba is made of plastic, that isolates the high temperatures inside, the MBP is all aluminium so it spreads the heat much better to the exterior. Good for the computer itself but bad for your skin when touching :D

I agree it would be annoying to constantly feel hot air being blown out - however, what would you rather have?

- Hot air blowing out the sides that you'll be able to feel slightly
- The two internal fans going anything over 3000rpm and making a racket

I'd much rather the first one. I hate how noisy it gets - especially when I'm in the library studying, and for whatever reason the fans come on at 6000rpm and literally everyone within a 20 meter radius can hear it.

Fabiano

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Palmas, Brazil
I agree it would be annoying to constantly feel hot air being blown out - however, what would you rather have?

- Hot air blowing out the sides that you'll be able to feel slightly
- The two internal fans going anything over 3000rpm and making a racket

I'd much rather the first one. I hate how noisy it gets - especially when I'm in the library studying, and for whatever reason the fans come on at 6000rpm and literally everyone within a 20 meter radius can hear it.

Are you talking about the Macbook Pro? I mean, never even heard any noise coming from my Macbook Pro... Actually I think its very silent!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Are you talking about the Macbook Pro? I mean, never even heard any noise coming from my Macbook Pro... Actually I think its very silent!

You think the MacBook Pro is silent?

Yes it is silent when you aren't doing much. But go to a flash website or something that will use about 50% CPU usage, and as soon as the fans go above 3000rpm its a hell of a whine.

riz78612

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
13" widescreen LCD display,
Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology
4GB RAM,
500GB hard drive (250GBx2) with Raid technology,
NVIDIA® graphics,
Blu-ray Disc™ optical drive, HD
DMI output,
Bluetooth®,
TV Tuner

CPU Section
Microprocessor Full Name Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9600 with Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology
Microprocessor Manufacturer Intel®
Microprocessor Speed (GHz) 2.8
L2 Cache (KB) 6144 Advanced Smart Cache
Frontside Bus (MHz) 1066
Number of Cores 2

Memory
Memory Speed (MHz) 800
Memory Type DDR2 SDRAM (2x2048MB)
Max. Memory (MB) 4096
Max Memory Comment In the case of 4GB, a portion of the system memory over 3GB might not be available to the operating system
Memory Size (MB) 4096

Drives
Hard Drive Type Serial ATA / SSD Flash drive Ultra ATA/66
Hard Drive Capacity (GB) 628 (500GB HDD + 2x64GB SSD Raid 0 support)
Hard Drive Speed (rpm) 4200
Optical Drive Type Blu-ray Disc™ Drive: BD-R/-RE/-ROM/ DVD+-RW/+-R DL/RAM Drive (reader/writer)
Optical Drive Fitting Built-in

Multimedia
TV Tuner Board YES
Intel® High Definition Audio compatible YES
3D Surround Dolby Home Theatre®
Built-in Stereo Speakers YES
Built-in Subwoofer YES
Windows® Sound System Compatible YES
Sound Reality YES
DVB-T YES

Battery life- 24 hours

dtklamf

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
oo so your not aloud to have an opinion here, without being bashed by a ridiculous amount of dick heads!?

OOO look i just made my second post!!

you need a smack in the ****in mouth to wake up to yourself actually.

fyi:your opinion doesn't matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.