My MacBook Pro Retina EFI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simoniyopi, Jun 22, 2013.

1. simoniyopi macrumors newbie

hey Guys i need some help please
    i forget my EFI password and so anytime i want to install mac os x in my new ssd i get this [​IMG]
    after some search i found this ?!!!
    http://youtu.be/WZhT6MWXFP8
    is there anything u can help me with guys please thank u a lot

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Only Apple can remove that. You'll have to take it to an Apple store with photo ID or the purchase receipt.

3. simoniyopi thread starter macrumors newbie

thank u a lot
    but is there anything else i can do ?!!!

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Start guessing your password. There really isn't anything else you can do.

5. simoniyopi thread starter macrumors newbie

i did and it doesn't work and i bought second-hand that's my problem dude !!!!

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Put the original drive back in and use it to remove the password once you've booted into OS x.

7. simoniyopi thread starter macrumors newbie

is that possible ?!!! how can i do this ?
    when i put my hard drive back what should i do than ?
    thank u again

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You need to locate the firmware password tool from a Lion or Mountain Lion boot disc and run it. It'll ask you for your admin password and remove it.

9. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Ask the person who sold it to you to give you the EFI password.

10. paukivbashne macrumors member

it wont work
    in fact it doesn't work for quite sometimes now

there are 3 options right now
    you can go to apple store and ask them to help you with this issue
    you can buy "efi password removal service" on ebay( you will have to send it to)
    or you can resolder efi chip and reflash it with exactly the same model firmware dumb that your model have)
    but i would NOT recommend the last one if you have zero soldering experience))

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It does work and I used this method just last week on a retina Macbook.

12. paukivbashne macrumors member

efi password and os x password are quite different type of passwords mate)

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You're missing the point. There's a tool on the Mac OS X installation media that allows someone to set an EFI password. It's how you set EFI passwords. The OP needs to extract the tool from either a Lion or Mountain Lion installation media and put it onto the machine's original hard drive. He then needs to tell the tool to remove the password. It'll ask for his local admin password and remove the EFI password. Hence the "firmware password tool" in my post. Note the word firmward.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is the part where you are misunderstanding. To use that tool to remove the EFI password, one needs to enter whatever EFI password was set to begin with. That will not necessarily be the same as the admin password. Entering the admin PW will not unlock the EFI PW if they are not the same PW already.

15. Intell, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013

Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's always accepted the local admin password for me in the past.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not sure what you are doing, but entering an admin PW will not remove the EFI PW. You can test it yourself right now. Set an EFI PW of "test" then restart and try to reset the PW by entering your admin PW and you will see it does not work. You will have to enter the "test" PW to reset it. EFI and admin PW are completely unrelated, unless of course you happened to have set them the same.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The EFI and admin password on the machines I reset the EFI password for at work are not the same, yet the tool accepts the admin password and removes the EFI one. It does this on both the older ram resettable EFI passwords and the post-2010 ones. Maybe it's a bug in Apple reset tool. I believe the one we use came with the Lion betas.

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't know what to say. :confused: They are definitely not the same thing and an admin PW is not going to reset an EFI PW. Try the test I suggested now on your Mac and you will see.

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I know the differences between the two. No need for me to test that either, I do it almost weekly at work. It resets it every single time.

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you are talking about the admin password reset tool. If you do not have the EFI password there is no way to reset it with any software tool aside from a visit to the Apple Store. There are tons of articles on the Interwebs on this topic and you will not find one single article showing the EFI W can be reset with an admin PW.

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm talking about the EFI password. It's the one that you have to enter when pressing Option at boot to get to the boot menu. I know the differences. I generally reset the admin password via single user.

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like I said, there is no OS X utility of any kind that will allow one to use an admin PW to reset an EFI PW. Please post links to any articles describing this if you insist it exists. It doesn't.

Better yet, do the test I suggested and post up a video of you doing it. It won't work.

I'm not sure what you are dong but it is not an EFI PW reset with an admin PW. The EFI PW is well documented.

23. cmanderson macrumors regular

cmanderson

The elephant in the room is the laptop is probably stolen.

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm telling you it works for me with the EFI password from OS X using the OS X admin password. It's the standard EFI reset tool from Apple that came with the Lion betas. Can't post a video now, the tools at work and it's the weekend. There are other tools that allow this as well. Mostly Apple service tools used in Apple Stores. They do use OS X to reset the password using the local Netboot image's admin password to do it. I've used those tools in the past as well. But it's just easier to use the Lion beta EFI password reset tool. I know exactly what I'm doing and it works without a problem.

25. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

agreed if not he would have ask the seller or go to the apple store