My MB has been held hostage by communist!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by QWIK83, Jan 30, 2009.

1. QWIK83 macrumors newbie

QWIK83

So I ordered my alumabook 2.4 with a sleeve on the 27th from Apple with 2-3 day shipping. I was getting all excited because it was my 1st mac, I just spent my entire tax return on it and I come home and this huge box is on the porch..woohoo:D! Wrong, it was just the sleeve lol. So I checked fedex and the AMB has been in China ever since I ordered it and finally got to Alaska at noon today. I call fedex again and they say it may be Wednesday before it gets here bc of customs. I already gave my pc to my brother and I need the AMB for school.

All in all I'm just mildly depressed bc I've wanted a mac since like sophomore yr in hs and now I'm in college i got one and its so close yet so far away lol. Plus this entire delay is because ordering a remote with it deems the MB a "custom configured" MB which took an extra 2 days to process.....shoulda went to bestbuy.

2. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

ooh i remember the wait for my MBP, checking the tracking site every 30 minsutes to see if it has changed and where it is located! The wait is always worth it!

3. QWIK83 thread starter macrumors newbie

QWIK83

yea lol but I seriously do need it and it sucks that apple doesn't do fedex next day air...I beegggggeeddd for fedex an apple to ship it that way cause I really need it for school monday but its friday so its def too late for that.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Why would you wait until the last minute to order your computer if need it for school? :confused:

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

That sucks. Well if it helps, I'm a sophomore in high school that really wants a Mac.

Because he had to wait for his tax return.

6. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

we have all been there

That is just part of it. Hang in there, it will be worth the wait!

7. n8236 macrumors 65816

Hey man, I know u're just trying to be funny and all, but just because China is still a Communist country, u dun gotta put it in ur title. Seems a bit insensitive.

8. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaahahahah oh my god! the title is hilarious! oh and dont worry you'll get ur baby soon. i know that feeling all to well.

9. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

omg.. i actually thought like some communist person jacked your mac.

but dont say "A communist" jacked it, it makes it sound like the chinese ppl did and not all are "communists"

10. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

ROFLLL... i thought this was gonna be another obama joke glad it didn't turn out to be. It's aright man, it'll be here soon and you will bond with it nad everything and spread the news just like I did with mine, and my new Les Paul.

11. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with communism?

"Communism is a socioeconomic structure and political ideology that promotes the establishment of an egalitarian, classless, stateless society based on common ownership and control of the means of production and property in general."

Doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Have fun with the new macbook.

12. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

If you said that in the 40/50s (can't remember:O) your life would be destroyed =D

13. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

What is the point of this thread?

Oh, just to add to it, your MB is a communist, it was made in China.

Now I'm going to go beat my head against a wall until this thread makes sense...

14. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

Come on, lighten up a bit! I think this post is quite funny! Also China is communistic society, so is anything about the "title" should bother you, it should be the "held hostage" part, not the communist part...

Edit: Of cause Americans are still very scared of communism, and use the word "communist" as an insult, but to be fair it is just a political orientation.

15. econoline06 macrumors 6502

econoline06

Wow way to be sickeningly politically correct. They are communist, end of story. Nothing insensitive about the truth.

Its a bad idea because it never works.

16. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

China is in no way, form or shape a communist country now at all. Yes the government's paperwork still carries the word 'communist' on it, but that's just as meaningless and outdated as many of the words on the USA's declaration of principles.

It may have been slightly more communist in the past, but many people would plausibly argue that China has never really been a communist state at any time in its history.

17. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I don't know what college you're going to but if it's being held in Alaska (I hope you actually learn something about geography in college..) it's being held hostage by Americans, not Communists...:rolleyes:

18. Horst Guest

When you say 'America', what country do you mean ?
    America is a continent, no ? ;)

19. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I think you can ask anywhere in the world who they think "Americans" are and they'll say people from USA, not Canada, not Mexico, not the Native Americans, etc. :)

Also "America" is not a continent. North America and South America are, but "America" isn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Continental_models.gif

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ok, your interpretation was far better than mine (and dr. shdw's). :p

He said it was in Alaska and held at customs for the next 5 days, and I thought, "When did Alaskans become communists?"

Saying that, I'm sure the OP meant no harm by his comment. Besides that, calling someone a communist isn't an insult. Not at all. :confused: It's probably a better system in my idealized world. It just doesn't seem to work well when applied.

Perhaps, but the divisions of the world are different in different countries. Some countries will even tell you that there are 7 continents (Australia is a continent), while some countries teach their students that there are 6 continents (Australia is part of the continent of Australiasia).

It really depends on where you're from.

21. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

Yeah, where and when I'm from there were seven continents, and the debate was whether or not Europe/Asia are two or Eurasia is one. Of course, "invite" wasn't a noun and "snuck" wasn't a word yet...different times.

22. aethelbert macrumors 601

Overnight shipping across the Pacific would be a just a tad bit tricky.

23. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

And here we go again. Not to hijack the tread, but you really should not be skipping geography class.

It doesn't matter what "most" people think. Even if I think I can buy a BMW for 10 bucks, I won't be able to, it still is is just a stupid concept arising from my ignorance. "Americans" defines people that were born in the American continent (all the way from Canada to the Patagonia), even if you don't "think" so.

Oh my god! I think that Geography was not the only class you missed. And quoting a gif file that actually lists "America" as a continent a few seconds after you open it won't help backing up your ignorant remark. South America and North America are just divisions of the same continent (you guessed it): America; it's more akin to say Eastern Europe and Western Europe (you don't think those are two different continents, do you?, if so, you are beyond any help)

No, it doesn't. Political divisions tend to change, but continents don't. That for commercial or strategical reasons, people refer to certain areas of the world in a different way (Australasia, etc.) is not the same as "naming" or "declaring" a new continent.

24. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Wow...

By your logic, everyone in the WORLD should be called Pangaeans, not Americans, Europeans, Africans, Asians, etc.., since continents "don't change". Please go take a Geology class as well and learn about plate tectonics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Plates_tect2_en.svg

Read and learn. :rolleyes:

This is only assuming you don't believe that God created this world in 7 days.

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What you said is pretty ignorant, and even if we were wrong (we're not), you're being pretty condescending.

Firstly, a "continent" isn't defined by any particular set of characteristics or criteria, so yes, North and South America are different continents.

Secondly, how the continents are divided depend on where you're from, as I said earlier. It's not wrong. It's true. Some places in the world will teach their students that there are 5 or 6 continents in the world rather than 7. Those countries count too, not just want you learnt in an American school.

I'm glad you only studied in America. If you studied in France, you would have gone crazy correcting people with your American viewpoint, judging by your quote. ;)

Look HERE.