Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Try using the Magsafe a/c extension on a grounded outlet. It should have shipped with your MBP. The flip-out plug slides out of the powersupply, then slide in the extension.

There are a few threads on this subject with more details on why this happens.

Hope it helps.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
My MBP shocks me everyday. I still can't believe how fast it is:D

Sorry to make light of things...just couldn't resist. Have you tried using a different outlet? If it still does it, and you're using a grounded cord then I would think there has to be a wire loose inside that's making contact with the base and thus using it as a ground. My advice would be take it to Apple.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Your getting a shock becuase you are generating static electictricity. Just lifting you arm will generate massive amounts. The sweat layer covering your body turns you into a conductor. When you touch your MBP you discharge the static to the metal chassis of the MBP (which is earthed).

I don't know how to prevent this.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
Is it a shock as in "run around on carpet with socks on and touch a door nob" shock? Or is it shock as in "I wonder what happens when I stick a fork in an electric socket" kind of shock?

Continuos or just once?

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
This is continuous painful electrocution. It's a very sharp pain. Doesn't matter if I'm plugged in or not, though its stronger if I am plugged in. So more like a i just stuck forks in the wall outlet. (which I did when I was real young...)

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Wear some rubber gloves perhaps?

Attachments

• istockphoto_158385_rubber_gloves.jpg
    istockphoto_158385_rubber_gloves.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 55

Ludaru

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
tried to: Turn it on, pull the plug and use the battery - till it dies. Then reboot with the plug.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Its not the machine giving you shocks. Your generating a large amount of static. When you touch it the static discharges to the MBP from your body.

EDIT: Get someone else to touch it to see if they get the same problem.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
Its not the machine giving you shocks. Your generating a large amount of static. When you touch it the static discharges to the MBP from your body.

Answer:

This is continuous painful electrocution. It's a very sharp pain. Doesn't matter if I'm plugged in or not, though its stronger if I am plugged in. So more like a i just stuck forks in the wall outlet. (which I did when I was real young...)

I would Call Apple.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
If it's doing it when it's not plugged in, and it's continuous (not static), I would definitely take it to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.