My MBP is toast!! Got to replace it, what do you think?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scariaga, Apr 2, 2008.

1. scariaga macrumors regular

A couple days ago my MPB was sitting high up on a cabinet. My bastard cat must have been playing with the power cord which was idiotically still attached to my MBP. Of course you can take a guess @ what happened. Long story short my MBP is toast and is beyond any repair based on what the Mac techs have told me. So now I need to replace a 6 month old 2.4 17inch MBP, ouch!!!!

So since I have to replace it I was thinking why not upgrade right? I definately want more HD space so I wanted to upgrade to 250GBs which is great. What I'm wondering is should I go up to the 2.5, 2.6 or just stay with the 2.4 core duo? obviously there is quite a price deferencial between the 3. Based on Macmall prices (since I'm not going to be raped by appz) this is what I'm looking at:

2.4 - $2,344 (same exact specs as my current damaged goods)
    2.5 - $2,608 (w/ additional HD space)
    2.6 - $3,044 (w/ additinal HD space)

I do a lot of pro audio stuff so the extra processing power is a plus for me. Will I really notice the 2.6 over the 2.4? is the 2.5 suffice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Since you want some more HDD space and processing power, I'd go with the 2.5 model. I personally don't think .1 GHz of extra power is worth the extra $400.

3. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

ya that's what I'm trying to find out, would I really notice .1 GHZ? are the chips coming out now much better that what I purchased 6 months ago? I guess I just don't want to fall behind the curve and get the most I can get now since I hope to not purchase another computer for sometime.

4. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

You might notice a very very small boost from the extra .1 but I still don't think it's worth the $400.... It's your call. If you want more speed, put your money into RAM instead of processing power. You'll always get more bang for your buck with RAM.

5. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

ya I had already upgraded my Ram on the other MBP to 4 gbs. I'm waiting to find out from Crucial if it will be capatible with the 2.5 or 2.6 MBP.

Thnx for your feedback :)

6. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Yeah, but isn't that the point of the MagSafe? or was it on a cloth?

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Wait so your cat chewed or ripped the cord and just got electricuted... or?? What happened.. doesnt the mbp have a mag safe where it prevents it from being yanked or fall down a table??

8. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

TBH I'm not exactly sure how he did it cause your right about the mag safe. The MBP was on a cloth so it must have been slippery enough. I think I also must have left it hanging a bit so probably my own negligence :(

9. Wingscofounder macrumors member

Bummer!...but don't forget to check your homeowner's policy, credit card insurance policy, and anything else you might have. There may be some relief tucked away in one or more of the clauses therein. Good luck.
    W

10. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

put the cat down (or see it has an "accident")

get a new mac

11. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

ya good point, we are investigating that so hopefully we can get some releif there

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

No offense if it sounds like I'm attacking you.. but to me you seem like your glad that this accident occurred so you can get a new mbp..

If it were me I'd be so pissed off since I could've just sold the 6 month old mbp and just paid the difference rather than to pay a full $3k for a new mbp.

13. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

trust me this is not something that I wanted to happen and if I could go back in time I would. Paying $3K for some extra HD space and .2 of processor speed is not exactly something I look forward to. I'm just making the best of an extremely bad situation. I've already harped on this for days now, I'm ready to get my replacement and get back to making music

14. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Toast?

No way! If it's toast, just go ahead and eat it. Maybe with a bit of cream cheese spread or something, and get back to me on how it tastes..

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Instead, why not just opt for the 2.5ghz vs. and just buy 320gb WD or a 7k200 hitachi travelstar and just install that in there? I put the 7k200 on my 17" hi res mbp and it screams! =D

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If I'm correct this qualifies for Tier 4 repair which is $1200 flat-rate and they repair your computer as an accidental damage--they really just give you a refurbished machine.

17. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

I noticed a big difference between my 2.4 and 2.6, not sure about the dif between 2.5 and 2.6 (its actually 0.2Ghz difference, not 0.1Ghz).

My jump was pretty significant but i think a 2.5 jump to 2.6 is negligible. If you have the money go for it, it will also have better resale value being a 2.6.

18. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Another reason cats suck. Also, who puts their mbp on a high cabinet? I'm kind of surprised so much damage was done. I have a friend who ate it doing about 20 mph on a skateboard with a mbp in his backpack. He fell HARD, trust me. Theres a small dent in the corner of the bottom case but that's all. Not a single damaged component.

19. jeff^d macrumors member

LOL. Seriously, I think all cats have evil dispositions. Good luck to the OP.

20. change macrumors member

If you are using this for audio and such...

Do yourself a favor, i realize it's not as much space, but get the 7200rpm drive. You will be fine with the 2.5GHz CPU, and get 4GB of third party RAM. The speed of the HDD will make a bigger difference during regular use than the extra little processor speed, especially considering the money.

21. aquajet macrumors 68020

If this is true (and I would double check in case your "tech" gave you incorrect info), then why not do this? Your machine is still recent and this would cost less than half of the new machine you are looking at.

I would call Applecare and discuss the situation if you have not yet done so. You might be making this much more expensive than it has to be.

22. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't know you could upgrade the HD, thought that was only possible for Ram? :confused:

23. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

wasn't told anything about that, gonna check in with apple care and see what they say, cheers :)

24. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

ya unfortunately Macmall only carries the 2.6 with the 7200rpm drive. the 2.5 just has the 5400rpm. Does that really make a big difference in processing speed? Will that add to the performance of an application like Logic Pro when using many plug ins? Problems I encounter is that the audio will either slow down or just stop when too much is going on. Do the increased rpms help with that type of performance?

25. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

just spoke to them and they basically told me that tier 4 would be too expensive and that a refurbished MBP would be cheaper. Not too sure if I want to risk buying a refurbished machine.