My MBP vs rMBP Configuration Comparison

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatguy215, Jun 14, 2012.

1. thatguy215 macrumors member

Here is my comparison between the two computers. I just want to say that this is what I'm considering and may not reflect on others but maybe it will help those if they can't decide.

I'm a film student so I'll be using this specifically for editing. From what I've configured it seems to me that the Retina would be the right way to go for the extra screen space and the thinness.

The extra 4gb Ram + 500gb HDD + Firewire/Ethernet are important but it is something that I can get later as the resolution from the Retina cannot be upgraded.

MBP
    2.3ghz
    4gb ---> 16gb (+170) Buying and installed later
    500gb HDD ---> 256gb SSD (+-250) Buying and installed later

650M 512mb
    1440x900 --> 1680x1050 (+90)
    Thicker
    Firewire800
    Ethernet

1xThunderbolt
    2xUSB3
    Audio In/Out
    SDXC
    DVD Drive
    $2210 (Student Pricing)

rMBP
    2.3ghz
    8gb --> 16gb (+180)
    256gb SSD
    650M 1gb
    2880x1800 (Retina)
    Thinner

HDMI
    2xThunderbolt
    2xUSB3
    Headphone Jack
    SDXC
    $2180 (Student Pricing)

2. Electa macrumors member

Are you always going to be traveling while editing to the point where using an external monitor won't be an option? If so, get the rMBP. If not, get an external monitor and the legacy MBP.

3. thatguy215 thread starter macrumors member

I'm actually moving around a lot which is why I'm trying to let go of my desktop to get this baby :p

4. gatortpk macrumors 6502

Nice price comparison! The retina MacBook Pro really is cheaper with SSD!

I found with most setups, the Standard MacBook Pro is $300 more expensive if you order it with the exact same SSD storage.

I doubt that Apple is charging more because of the SuperDrive, Ethernet port, or FireWire ports, they don't cost $300 more. I think it's the more realistic way of trying to sell an expensive MacBook Pro even though it has a Retina display. If the pricing started at $2499 and the 2.6 GHz model started at $3099, it just may not sell significantly as well.

And of course, Apple really wants to push Retina and SSD out, the competition will have a hard time beating those prices with those specs and the same hardware!

5. BlueOcean macrumors member

I'm actually trying to decide on almost the same options (although I'm also considering a 13" machine as one of my options).

Although the retina is more 'attractive' to me, the various teething troubles at the moment lead me towards the standard as being more attractive, particularly as if you can wait a bit for the SSD/RAM, they will inevitably become a lot cheaper in the medium term so that it will be cheaper overall than the retina.

The thinness and portability may be an important factor for you, but there's about 500 grams difference in weight. Depending on how much other stuff you're carrying, this may be a trivial amount of weight, and indeed, this is what I need to determine for my own purposes.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I see you've highlighted audio in and out on the mbp the rmbp has audio in and out its just all in one jack to allow use of the iPhone style headphones.

7. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

The one thing to consider is if you are likely to need more internal storage in 12 months time.

On the retina model, you're screwed or limited to an external drive.

Also, rumor has it that the non retina machines will be able to take up to 32gb ram once 16gb so-dimms are available (the chipset supports 32 gb)

I'm not feeling any desire to upgrade from my 2011 machine just yet. I'm sure retina is nice, but 1680x1050 on a 15" screen is by no means bad.

Also, you can pick up 16gb of RAM for cheaper than 170 bucks... pretty sure some here got it for $99...

----------

Just FYI... iPhone style headphones work with the headphone port on the old style machines (they do on my MBP 2011).

The mic and volume buttons work when plugged into the headphone port.

Essentially, you've just lost a LINE in port.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's not lost its just in one jack.

9. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Not sure if it will affect the thread creator, but the lack of a dedicated line in really niggles me, there are situations where I could easily use both the headphone and line in jacks at the same time, so to have one removed means an extra peripheral device needed. :/

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you dont need the audio in/out jack or the optical drive I think the retina MBP is a good choice

I created a similar chart and found for my needs the retina MBP w the best choice

11. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Do you know the difference between line in and mic in?

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes I do

13. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

If you use the Mac for video editing, then from what I've read the new fan design in the Retina Macs make a big difference, they are a lot quieter when running a full speed. Which they will be when your rendering video etc.
    Plus you get the screen and as you saw in the WWDC event it gives a lot more space for video editing.

And your post is EXACTLY why i made a thread highlighting the Retina Mac's pricing as with discounts it is cheaper then the legacy machine with aftermarket SSD and memory! Plus it's under one warranty.

14. iFanboy Guest

You stated you're a film student and will be using it as a portable computer for those purposes.

That's exactly what the MacBook Pro with Retina Display has been designed for.

Go for it. Why spend similar money on last years design with this years internals except for the screen.

The screen is incredible. If you buy the non-retina I will come sit near you with my Retina and you will get envious and return it ;)

TL : DR - Get the retina :cool:

15. gatortpk macrumors 6502

I was thinking that 256 GB SSD wasn't very much. But actually it's plenty for the OS, the Apps, every typical document (text type), and a Virtual Machine for just a couple of programs.

The only problem is the iPhoto Library is on my internal drive, I can work around that. Everything else is on an external drive anyway, I have lots of video, etc, that takes extra space.

You're debating upgrading from a 2011 MacBook Pro? How about a 2006 MacBook Pro?

I'm running OS X 10.7.4 on the very first Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro from 2006. It has been maxed out at 3 GB RAM. (My iMac has 16 GB) And I upgraded the 120 GB HDD to 320 GB HDD a long time ago.

That's the MacBook Pro, I'm considering upgrading from. A 2006 model that works perfectly fine with all the latest modern software. It just won't run the latest OS X 10.8 next month! Now it's time for an Upgrade.

Good point about being able to upgrade the Standard MacBook Pro later with a 1TB SSD and 32 GB RAM for a lot less expense. But I really like the Retina. It's a tough choice, or wait till the next update and see what the prices are then. (Unlikely, but perhaps Apple will allow after market upgrades on later Retina models? Since the SSD is proprietary and RAM is actually soldered on currently.)