My MBP was delivered with a better spec than ordered

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrGimper, Apr 14, 2013.

1. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Have been reading through the sticky thread and noticed some people have received machines that are a better spec than what they ordered.

Just wanted to make a thread to collect these and see what people received vs what they ordered in one place.

Edit: I haven't experienced this, hence why I haven't added anything :)

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Not my MBP but my MBA was delivered with better specs.
    ordered a 1.7GHz i5 model but got the 2.0 i7 for no extra charge.
    Had everything else I ordered in there as well (256GB SSD, 8GB RAM)

3. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

That is sweet!, guess they run out of 1.7 machines and gave you the upgrade to don't hold your order.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Maybe! Or it was a simple mistake.
    Not sure but nothing to complain about :D

5. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

Yep

About 2 years ago I ordered one Mac Air Ultimate and a Cinema Display. They sent me 2 of each no joke!

Scored :)

6. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

That's a little different. Perhaps some laws involved there as well.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Actually not. Law says if you were delivered something you didn't order it's not against the law to keep it.

Few moral ones broken I agree, but legal ones no.

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

The right thing to do is call them and tell them about it.

9. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

This. It will clear your conscience, and the most probable scenario is Apple will tell you to keep it. The cost of recovering the machine and then sending you a new one will be higher for them that just letting you keep it.

Besides the fact that if they let you keep it you'll be a happy customer. If the ask you to send it back they will just have a disappointed/unhappy customer.

10. trikky, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

trikky macrumors regular

Actually, those laws refer to unsolicited items, to prevent people/companies/etc from sending random items to people and then billing them for it.

In this case, it wasn't unsolicited. It was a shipping mistake involving a product (or products) that had been requested. There is a legal obligation to attempt to return the extra merchandise. Much like if you suddenly find $1m in your bank account...you can't keep it.

11. trikky macrumors regular

I got double the RAM in my refurb 2001 17" MBP...

For refurbs especially, this isn't a surprise as it could have been a return or cancelled order with the higher specs.

12. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Or just dont give a damn and dont do anything about it.

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Ok, so getting a better product (e.g. CPU upgrade) by accident is fine with everyone, and not worth reporting. However getting an additional item and keeping it suddenly is a big legal issue?

double standards much here?

14. trikky, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

trikky macrumors regular

Betcha wouldn't have the same attitude if you ordered two of each from somewhere and you only got one of each. If I'm wrong, then sure...completely acceptable to have that way of thinking. If I'm right, well... :D

15. Radiating macrumors 65816

NO. The mail and package regulations are federal not state.

16. that1guyy macrumors 6502

What's with the goody two shoes on this forum. "The right thing to do." Pffft calm down. It's a laptop with slightly better specs. Just keep it OP and don't think about it.

17. leman macrumors 604

Where is it that you have laws like these? Under each law I know this is considered stealing.

18. moxxey macrumors regular

Where does it say that in law? Consumers make law up to suit them :)

If money is delivered in to your account, it's not your money. You aren't allowed to keep it, just because it was dropped in to your account by mistake.

If goods are delivered by mistake, then you aren't allowed to keep them. Of course, if they never ask for them back, that's another scenario entirely, but they aren't your goods.

19. majkom macrumors 65816

But, u know, there are some countries far far away.. over the ocean:)

20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

It is considered "Unsolicited merchandise" under state and federal law.

From the FTC:

"What do you do when you receive merchandise that you didn?t order? Under the Federal Trade Commission, you don?t have to pay for it. Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment.

Here are some questions and answers about dealing with unordered merchandise.

Q. Am I obligated to return or pay for merchandise I never ordered?

A. No. If you receive merchandise that you didn?t order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift.

Q. Must I notify the seller if I keep unordered merchandise without paying for it?

A. You have no legal obligation to notify the seller. However, it is a good idea to write a letter to the company stating that you didn?t order the item and, therefore, you have a legal right to keep it for free. This may discourage the seller from sending you bills or dunning notices, or it may help clear up an honest error. Send your letter by certified mail. Keep the return receipt and a copy of the letter for your records. You may need it later.

Q. What should I do if the unordered merchandise I received was the result of an honest shipping error?

A. Write the seller and offer to return the merchandise, provided the seller pays for postage and handling. Give the seller a specific and reasonable amount of time (say 30 days) to pick up the merchandise or arrange to have it returned at no expense to you. Tell the seller that you reserve the right to keep the merchandise or dispose of it after the specified time has passed.

Q. Is there any merchandise that may be sent legally without my consent?

A. Yes. You may receive samples that are clearly marked free, and merchandise from charitable organizations asking for contributions. You may keep such shipments as free gifts.

----------

See above from the FTC

21. leman macrumors 604

I am sure that the situation is a bit more complicated than how you describe it. Generally, it boils down to the notion of a 'contract'. A contract must be some sort of volitional action/agreement. E.g., if a company sends you a product of some sort, without any prior communication or terms, than this can be interpreted as a volitional action (and thus a valid contract) and the default terms dictated by the law apply. However, it is important to distinguish between a volitional action and an involuntarily action (such as a delivery mistake). The later is not a valid reason for a contract.

22. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Shipping 2 instead of 1 constitute a shipping error? Seems like it to me. But then again, anything shipped to you that you did not order can be considered a shipping error as well. That is why i made my original statement.

23. trikky macrumors regular

That's right, and supports what I had written earlier. You need to understand the difference, however, between an unsolicited product and a product that was sent by mistake.

For example:
    • Order 1 item but receive 2
    • Order an item but receive something different
    • Something intended for your neighbour is sent to your address by mistake

Those (and it's not an exhaustive list) are not examples of unsolicited goods.

Now, going back to the original topic, it is not unusual to receive slightly better specs when ordering something. Is it a mistake though? The proper thing (and in some jurisdictions, I suspect, legal) to do is to contact the shipper and advise them. In the case outlined in this thread, as others have said...Apple would most likely say "keep it...it's yours". If the shipper wants to correct a mistake, the shipper should pay to correct the mistake, through shipping both ways, etc.

Repeating an example I gave earlier, one must not confuse a mistake with a gift, or with 'unsolicited merchandise.'

24. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

damn if i got 2 airs and 2 cinema displays id bee on the first flight to peru and go into hiding with em.

25. kh3khalid macrumors regular

I had a case where I got my iPod Nano replaced due to a faulty battery (battery ran out quickly). The thing is, they delivered the new one and never took the old one. I contacted Apple to tell them that they didn't take the old iPod and maybe there is a mistake. So, what happened in the end? They sent a guy the next day to pick it up hahaha. I guess I wasn't that lucky.

I also remember the case where a women ordered an iPad from best buy and got 5 by mistake. She contacted best buy and they were polite and told her to keep the extra iPads.

hahaha. That made me lol.