My Media Cover Art (in Catalina)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by HelixOmnimedia, Jul 26, 2019.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

"Computer" or now Home Sharing within the Catalina TV app is going to test my OCD about Movie and TV Show Cover Art.

Wonder if it'll bug me enough to go through and change the cover art to the "new style rectangle" - it means editing a lot of really good artwork to the smaller style to make it work with the application.

Veronica Mars - both are official purchases, one was moved back on from an external HDD. The other sitting in my account to 'redowload'. All the other are from DVDs I own. Its interesting to see both cover arts displaying.

I quickly cropped the Harry Potter artwork I had and it kinda works as the "new style"

Attached Files:

2. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Ouch! That's very OCD ;) There's a guy at my gym who goes into the locker room and closes all of the locker doors every night because of his OCD. It find it super scary!!!!! :)

Since they are low def DVDs maybe add your favourite ones onto your iTunes wishlist and purchase when they go on offer :)

Unless it's upsetting you, don't waste your time cropping the artwork.

3. RomanEmpire macrumors member

Attached Files:

4. iSquirrelu macrumors member

What are the new dimensions for the new style artwork in Catalina please?

5. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Took me ages this morning to find out, not as simple as before when you could copy the artwork in iTunes and "New from clipboard" in Preview.

So it looks like the dimensions are 1280 × 720.

6. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

I thought I was the only one. My number one pet-peeve is text other than the tile of the movie being on the cover art. This includes, actors, director, reviews from critics, etc. I only have movies I love and watch over and over again in my Library so I do take the time to photoshop some of the them.

Why did Apple have to change the dimensions?
    Why won't Apple let use change our iCloud Movies metadata, like iCloud Music?

7. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

So a site I have been using for year that pulls artwork directly from iTunes etc, I've just found out launched a different area that pulls the new artwork.

Now there seems to be no consistent sizes from what I've pulled for TV shows so far.

Handmaid's Tale is 1920 × 1080
    Big Little Lies is 3840 × 2160
    Doctor Who Season 11 - 3840 × 2160 but Christmas Special 2019 is 1712 × 964

No everything has the "rectangular artwork" and some have the "square" in the rectangle. as seen in the screenshot below.

Attached Files:

8. RomanEmpire macrumors member

having a lot of issues with wrong cover art myself (picture, language), the fact that some movies fill out the new rectangular shape entirely and some don‘t, adds to my dislike of the new style.
    it just seems Apple hasn‘t put much thought into it - it looks half-baked.

9. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Couldn’t agree with you more.

Some countries aren’t complete with the new artwork, after search other store from UK, Australia, Canada managed to get some that similar.

My issues now becomes; do I try and make everything I have look decent for the TV app (rectangle artwork) and look decent for the AppleTV ‘Computer’ app (square artwork) which allows me to access and play the content.

Like you mentioned not much thought into it all.

10. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

You guys need a new hobby ;)
    Life is short! Leave it to Apple to sort!

11. RomanEmpire macrumors member

Usually, yes.
    Unfortunately, I have „left“ it with Apple and their support team since 3 months and they couldn‘t figure out a solution ever since.