My mom Dropped my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madhurdutta, Aug 24, 2009.

1. madhurdutta macrumors newbie

I got the 15 Inch MacBook Pro around a Month back, and on the very morning after I got it, my mom dropped it. Here are pictures of the slight cosmetic damage. Apple won't cover it, obviously. Learning to live with it,

I am taking it to Apple for a separate hinge noise. Hopefully they may have to change the lid

Attached Files:

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Alas, the bad news is now that it has been dropped — and considering where it hit the floor, right at the hinge — what started as a seperate problem will most probably now be viewed by Apple as having been caused by the drop. :(

Prepare to do some sweet talking! :eek:
    Good luck…

4. madhurdutta thread starter macrumors newbie

In India, we have more than one Authorized Apple Service Provider, in the city. The retailer(Authorized Service provider one) I got my MacBook Pro from, said the same thing, that Apple mostly will blame the dent for the hinge sound, However the guy(Authorized Service provider two) that replaced my iMac(From white to aluminum) said, he will definitely help me out and replace the display lid. Keeping fingers crossed.
    The laptop also makes screechy sounds sometimes. As if something is loose.
    BTW - these issues(screechy noise from entire body, somtimes and hinge noise first surfaced today morning, not the day I got my MacBook Pro dented, so I can't see the relation between the hinge and screechy noises and the dent.
    Hope my service provider convinces Apple.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. Hannify macrumors member

The hinge should definitely be completely silent, but based on your description the screechy noise from the entire body seems normal. Every unibody I've worked with (quite a few!) has produced some screeching metallic sounds during handling. This is a result of the back panel flexing, as it's just one big thin sheet of metal.

7. illibball087 macrumors regular

well if all else fails just get a speck satin and you wont even know its there

8. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Um... he's talking about the hinge. ;)
    He showed us the pictures so we could tell him if Apple would repair the hinge for free. We have our doubts. ;)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So did you beat her like a red headed step child :p

bummers man, I'm sure she feels awful and there's nothing you can really do, other then suck it up :(

10. madhurdutta thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, thanks for the constructive replies. I might look into the Speck cases if they sell em here in India. I never really believed in cases, Mac products look best Naked! But I guess I might give it a shot.
    My mom does feel bad and I know It was inevitable, I would eventually mishandle it in someway or the other. Besides the dent is small and on the backside(which means I can't see it while operating my MBP)
    I will keep yall posted.
    Thanks
    Madhur

11. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

Well that sucks. Hopefully you learned your lesson..;)

12. jgo78 macrumors 6502

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Yet another example of why my macbook costs so much. :confused:

14. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Sounds like some not so honest activity about to happen.

15. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

so not true!

16. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

from the looks of the 2nd pic, the screech noise might look like its from the lid scratching against the body when opening. even laying closed, the lid looks like its touching the body a bit.

17. AngryApple macrumors 6502

Ouch. Zooming in on that makes it looks bad. :( I would hate if my mom did that to something of mine. :mad:

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But I'd forgive mine in an instant.

19. impilot macrumors newbie

Ouch!!! That sucks! Sorry it happened dude. Not even my MBP and I feel sick looking at that.:eek:

20. KevinG9012 macrumors newbie

look on the brightside, at least the camera you took the pictures with seems to be of pretty good quality lol

21. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yah, instead of a crappy iphone pic, where it might be a pic of a mac...or big foot.

22. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

23. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

24. madhurdutta thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,
    Even I thought that the Hinge sound might be because of the lid rubbing of against the bottom enclosure. But on further inspection I found that they do not touch and the noise is "typical hinge noise" encountered by a lot of people of Apple Discussions. Basically the Service provider #2 is a bit chilled out and has some sympathy, unlike the bastards I got my MacBook Pro from(Service Provider #1), who are just citing rules from Apple. If there is any one from India here - Don't buy from IMAGINE - They do not care and provide horrible after sales service.
    About how my mom dropped it, Well after getting the laptop we went for Lunch and so I asked her to keep the laptop with her - BIG MISTAKE. She put it in her bag, and while trying to take something out she dropped the entire bag. Uhhh still hurts when I think of it.

25. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Did you give her a hug and tell her its no big deal? I'm sure it hurt more when she gave birth to you ;)