My Money Making iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ozred, Mar 12, 2011.

1. ozred macrumors 6502

Now that I've used my iPad 2 for some time, I've discovered some shortcomings.

After some thought I realized why.

It's the brilliance of Apple.

This is now a "game" Apple has created, and decided to play back when the first iPhone was introduced.

The name of this game is "Screw The Customer For Fun & Profit" and Apple plays it masterfully.

Far better than most large scale companies. They can do this because Apple has a near death grip, & unusual control over their customers.

Whereas if "normal" companies offer a product, and it's missing features customers want, the customers go elsewhere and buy the competitors product, like automobiles for example.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

With Apple & the first iPhone, it lacked cut & paste.

When reviewed, it was noted but rarely criticized. If it was, the fanboys and Apple apologists were quick to discredit the blog, publication, or website that called Apple on it. Ranting, hating & bashing, the ones who identified the shortcoming or fault were labeled the bad guys. Rarely was Apple held accountable.

Another significant missing feature was 3G. This at a time when 3G was very popular. Yet Apple purposely left it off the iPhone so it would have a compelling reason for people to have to buy iPhone 2 if they wanted modern features in their phone.

Once this "test of the customers tolerance" was complete Apple knew they could cheat their customers out of the latest in tech, and still sell all they could build.

Fast forward to today. Now after years of shifting their focus to what they could get away with, in the name of greed, and profits, Apple has carte blanch with customers money.

You've got to give Apple a lot of credit for their brilliance.

They create a simple device we didn't even ask for, (like the iPad) then convince us we can't live without it. How simply genius.

Apple deserves credit, not for their dubious technical achievements, but in how they refined the art of manipulation of customers, the press, and profit taking.

Best of all, during all this time my Apple stock has pumped up my wealth.

Thanks Apple !

2. DeathChill macrumors 68000

You bought an iPad 2 after all the Apple bashing you do? Interesting that you seem to dislike Apple but you still buy their products. I bet that works for them!

3. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

In essence, the art of selling any product is a manipulation. A simple lemonade stand preys on a person's thirst. If the stand gets popular, one day you will show up, and now they sell hotdogs too.

You are right, it is a game. A game for money. Welcome to a state of mind where everyone else has been since people have traded goods for shiny beads.

4. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

Are you a journalist because that article is great. Ihaveto say you clearly found the philosophy of apple.

5. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

It's the free market, anyone is free to purchase or not.
    I was at Best Buy this morning getting a small item and they had plenty of Xooms in stock, but no iPad 2s. The market has spoken...

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ultimately, it is the consumer who makes the choice to buy or not buy a product. Too often, there is a mentality that says I gotta have the latest and greatest. My wife went from the original iPhone to the iPhone 4, skipping the two models between.

7. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I've owned Apple products since my first Mac Plus. The company has changed over the years, but some things remain consistent: their primary focus is on design. Industrial design, interface design, graphic design... the list goes on and on. They're also masters of marketing. Remember the 1984 ad? Trying to cast those things as negatives is absurd. Their marketing campaigns are the envy of every other company on the planet, not just their direct competition.

Evidently some people hate success. There's a simple solution. Stop buying Apple products.

8. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Im kind of thinking the OP is a troll. NO one is forcing anyone to buy anything. I'm not buying the ipad 2. Of course they update products with better features, if they didn't there would be no reason to buy them. With that in mind, some features aren't yet able to be put into practice. Take the verizon iphone, it does not have LTE. You will probably argue that this is Apple's evil plan to get you to buy the phone again when it does have LTE. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. In short, Apple are masters of marketing and making beautiful products that people want. You on the other hand sound like a 12 year old who is obsessed with acquiring every product Apple turns out.

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Care to elaborate or was the point of your rant simply to reflect your existance on these boards as a troll? Nearly 350 posts in 3 weeks, most of which belittle Apple or it's customers/fans. A self-proclaimed Apple fan who spends all of his time bashing Apple--I call BS, just a simpleminded troll.

10. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

Wether He's a troll or not. He got a good point, still i buy apple product no matter what. It's not about hardware it's about software.

11. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

It's about both, actually. Without seamless hardware integration the software would be at a serious disadvantage.

12. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

didn't you know? its fun times for the haters to hate on people who use/like apple product.

13. ozred, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

ozred thread starter macrumors 6502

I will clarify things just for you.

First of all I _never_ever_ bash Apple products. Period. I simply share my experience with them.

I may discuss their issues, and if that bothers some then so be it.

I invest tens of thousands in new Apple computers and gear every year because it _is_ so good.

It's Apples _ Arrogant, Superiority Complex I disagree with. Plain & Simple.

It's their self absorbed wild claims ( Its Magical & Revolutionary ) that I find unacceptable.

If you think that's Apple bashing, that's your opinion which is of no concern of mine.

I enjoy buying 99% of all new Apple products. It gives me the advantage of personal experience. If it's a good product wonderful, if not I just resell it or give it away.

Either way Apple & I both win. Especially since I paid less than $20 per share for a huge number of them years ago & keep buying more year after year.

EDIT:

To the comment of so many posts in a short period of time, I'm on a well deserved sabbatical which has afforded me time to discuss the Apple products I've enjoyed immensely since my first PowerBook 170.

So you see, I am in fact, a long time Apple supporter. I've bought 90% of every new Apple laptop ever made.

Cheers :)

14. nwlight.com macrumors newbie

Wow, a bit of a troll here. So, you found some missing features and that means that Apple purposely left out features to force an upgrade later? I can only guess you have never worked in an engineering or technology company. Features cost time and money. Adding something like 3G is not a simple matter of buying a chip. There is software, antenna placement, and battery considerations.

Apple doesn't release perfect products, but luckily neither does anyone else. They are successful because the product as a whole is still better than any of their competitors. If they weren't, they wouldn't be so wildly successful.

15. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I never said you bashed Apple products, I said you have an issue with the company.

It is revolutionary: they are changing the face of the computing market and they have hundreds of manufacturers trying to ride their coattails.

Magical, well that's marking and the genuine feeling that Apple/Steve Jobs has about the iPad and I don't see a damn thing wrong with it.

16. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Your "issue" is clearly an inability to understand how marketing works. As someone who's worked for many years in an ad agency, I say this with some authority.

17. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

Agreed with everything you said. I love apple products but apple apologists piss me off with their cult like behavior.

18. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

*yawn*

The "cult like behavior" charge is about the most empty one that people throw around on this board. It's basically like asking "have you stopped beating your wife."

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I thought the iPad was pointless when it came out last year. Wish I had bought mine sooner. :rolleyes:

20. kal7467 macrumors newbie

Wow you people are pretty blind to not see that this guy is quite smart and has a excellent point. I really wouldn't call what he said an opinion because it is dead on...now ilove apple and currently am typing on my 64g ipad2 which I love but would it have killed them to give me at least one good camera instead of 2 out of 1998. But that is the game and if I want the next new thing I will play it but unlike most of you I refuse to be brainwashed and made to feel that They are doing me a favor by taking my money:)

21. luckystephens macrumors member

luckystephens

I see what OP is saying. I also like the fact that he says he owns stock and spends thousands every year to upgrade all the Apple devices he enjoys using as a way to mitigate the Troll appearance of his post. I think it's confusing to most because this point of view usually comes from someone extolling the virtue of Android or Windows devices turning the thread into a Mac vs PC or iOS vs Android debate which has been beaten to death on all related discussion forums. Most of these threads then result in a vote with your wallet, you have a choice, buy (insert product here) instead, etc. OP has crafted a thread in that no matter the outcome he still wins because he still supports and profits from the sale of Apple products. Bravo OP!

On a side note, I don't upgrade my Mac's on a yearly schedule but I do that with my "post PC devices". These incremental upgrades started when the first iPod was released, not with the iPhone in 2007. Technology advances quickly and in turn the devices get better every year. Apple likes to keep their price points intact. It makes it easier for people like me to justify the purchase of the upgrade. While they might have been able to put a retina screen on the iPad 2 they wouldn't have been able to meet last years price point and less people would upgrade their devices.

22. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

23. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I both enjoyed and agree with ozred; as I have my own similar take on the machine.

Glad to read your contribution.

24. celo48 macrumors 6502a

If you do not like the things the way your girlfriend/boyfriend does, you break up.

If you do not like the things the way your wife/husband does, you get a divorce.

If you do not like the things the way Apple does, you buy the other brand.

OR

you accept them the way they are and be happy forever :)

25. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Well said.

This is precisely why I've always had a true love/hate relationship with Apple. I genuinely hate them every bit as much as I love their products.