Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Benefit of the new security procedures on the Apple Silicon Macs.

Has gone well beyond the days of simply having a blessed system folder -- now it locks a Signed System Volume to a specific Mac/CPU/Owner.

Got it working on an external SSD on a Mac Studio to see if the drive I had would work, but I would have needed to start from scratch with Recovery/System Installer to make a long lived bootable external.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Getting an external drive to boot with an m-series Mac is completely different than getting one to boot with an Intel Mac.

The old "hold down the option key" routine doesn't work any more.

Could you describe for us, step-by-step, what you're doing, AND at what point during the process the failure occurs?

Final question:
Did you use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create your bootable drive?
(SD is by far the easier of the two to use for this purpose)

(I have a MacBook Pro 14", with an external cloned backup, that boots easily from the backup...)

BuggerApple

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2023
Hi I Got a New Mac mini last week and I can't seem to get it to boot from an external drive or ssd
Sadly
Hi I Got a New Mac mini last week and I can't seem to get it to boot from an external drive or ssd
The simple answer is that Apple are arrogant bastards. They create a new OS and new hardware but give users NO warnings about the implications for how they might want to use them. I'm in the same boat. For reasons beyond the context of this discussion, I want to boot from an external drive running Mavericks so I can run some legacy software on it. But my M2 won't let me. As far as I can understand, I can't boot from any external drive unless it's Ventura.

What's with that? I'm so over this "we know best" attitude and all the sycophants that chant "Apple knows best". I used Windows for 30 years and never encountered anything like the issues I've experienced in the 10 years since I was forced to swap.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Sadly

The simple answer is that Apple are arrogant bastards. They create a new OS and new hardware but give users NO warnings about the implications for how they might want to use them. I'm in the same boat. For reasons beyond the context of this discussion, I want to boot from an external drive running Mavericks so I can run some legacy software on it. But my M2 won't let me. As far as I can understand, I can't boot from any external drive unless it's Ventura.

What's with that? I'm so over this "we know best" attitude and all the sycophants that chant "Apple knows best". I used Windows for 30 years and never encountered anything like the issues I've experienced in the 10 years since I was forced to swap.
You can't be serious. Mavericks is a 10 year old OS that was discontinued years before Apple left Intel.

Reactions: haddy

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
To expect a 10 Year old System/OS to boot on new Hardware without drivers is simply .....

If you do not need Games running on Mavericks just use UTM and Mavericks as VM on the M Series AS Hardware.

Backt to Topic, just install a fresh System on the External Drive connected via TB Cable and import your System via Migration Assistant from the Internal.
That Simple.

Reactions: Ben J.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Backt to Topic, just install a fresh System on the External Drive connected via TB Cable and import your System via Migration Assistant from the Internal.
That Simple.
Yes.
Boot from recovery. (By holding the power button)
Select install mac OS.
Select to install on the external disk. (Be patient. The install process will restart several times and sometimes seem to have stopped.)
Boot from the newly created external bootdisk by holding the power button and selecting it.
You'll get the 'Hello' screen and the options to import a user account or create a new one.

Important; Booting from this external will not work if there is not a working internal disk with macOS installed. So in that sense it is not a safety backup.

Reactions: genexx

BuggerApple

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2023
You can't be serious. Mavericks is a 10 year old OS that was discontinued years before Apple left Intel.
I am serious. Many people use old OS versions for many reasons. I still run High Sierra on our Macs at work because it's best-suited to the apps and config we use.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
But my M2 won't let me. As far as I can understand, I can't boot from any external drive unless it's Ventura.

If that is the OS that shipped on the system (?) then it makes sense. Hardware changes can cause problems with earlier versions that don't understand or know about it.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I am serious. Many people use old OS versions for many reasons. I still run High Sierra on our Macs at work because it's best-suited to the apps and config we use.
Sure. But your example is like complaining that a Tesla can’t run on the stash of gasoline you saved from a previous vehicle. If you want to run older software, you sometimes need old hardware. There’s nothing strange about that.

I have an M1 Mac for my daily tasks and older Macs for specific need that require them.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
my m2 pro mini is running off a samsung t7 no issues at all.
i will be getting a sandisk extreme pro and use that. it is faster.

all os on the machine is 13.5.1

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
True, but there is sometimes the hope, that virtualization and/or emulation can help in doing that.
If you do not need 3D ( and i had Sweet Home 3D even running on a Windows Arm 11 ) you can use the provided link in Post #8 :

Presets for UTM
Several MacOS and OSX Versions possible
Drag the Preset to UTM VM Folder restart UTM and it is Listed
~/Library/Containers/com.utmapp.UTM/Data/Documents/

github.com

utmconfigs/README.md at main · adespoton/utmconfigs

Config files for booting Mac OS 9 and OS X on UTM emulator - adespoton/utmconfigs github.com

Blockyperp20203

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2023
Newzealand
The OP never returned after his initial post...
L0L iM BACK N0W ARFTER A YEAR!!!

I Did Eventally Get The OS To Work on A 1TB Samsung T7 SSD
But Have Had Many Problem With This Mac So I'm Going back To intel Cuz **** it I Upgraded 2017 iMac And Now I'm just Ganna Use That For Abit Sine I Can Run Whatever OS I Want Off External hard Drives EZ! I Can Also Run Much More VMS And just Copy My iMovie instead Of Having To Redownload it From The App Store Cuz its "Broken' or Sum ****? Like WTF? 0K!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.