my new 5s is great but...

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Hi all, it's been a while, had to create a new account as i closed my last email account it's been that long long:)

So i recently upgraded to the 5S in space grey, amazing phone, but as with every iphone i have owned in the past it isn't perfect, i have found fault with each iphone i have owned, from the first model to this one now, in the past i have always exchanged them due to minor defects / what i believe is a defect and ended up with the replacement not having that particular defect but a different one or two... i don't think i'm alone here?

So my 5s has the camera and power button rattle, i can live with that as from what i have read 99% of them do, the only other thing i can see is that the plastic bezel that runs around the digitizer glass on the front sits about half a mm below the edge of the glass at the top of the phone, i can only see it if i really look in certain lights, the average person wouldn't even notice this but i can lol

My question is would you live with it or exchange? i think i have pretty much answered my own question and know that the replacement will have a different minor defect that may bug me but just wanted others opinions ...

Cheers

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Camera rattle is normal

Power button not so

As for the bezel it should be flush with the glass.

Get an exchange but don't expect the camera rattle to go away.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
if you did a search of these forums you would find that all of the 5s's have a rattle.

okay 99.9% so someone doesn't call me out because i know someone would.:p

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
the only other thing i can see is that the plastic bezel that runs around the digitizer glass on the front sits about half a mm below the edge of the glass at the top of the phone, i can only see it if i really look in certain lights
This is just totally rediculous. Why even bother getting an iPhone when it's quite obvious that you will NEVER be happy with it. I totally understand returning a phone for a replacement if it's not "perfect" out of the box. But when you have to examine it under a microscope, or hold it just perfect in a certain light to see something, then it's just an obsessive disorder. Relax and enjoy the phone.

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Haha some very amusing replies, as amusing as a stick, thanks for the the time worthy replies though, I guess it's not a big deal and I'll live with it, just glad I don't have other issues with the phone and only a minor one.

Thanks all

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
I'm pretty sure I could live easily if my phone showed signs of your complaints.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013

In my experience of personal use of various 5s's NOT ONE HAS THE RATTLE! So that means 100% of the phones I've had contact with do not rattle. That's my own, my moms, my girlfriends, and a friends. NONE rattle at all. We all tried to shake them to hear this mysterious rattle everyone on here talks about. The four of is are convinced that either people here have supersonic hearing, or are just hearing things that aren't there, or by some chance everyone on this site has somehow gotten the VERY SMALL percentage of iPhones that rattle.

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom

Yes. But you've had your phone for this long without noticing it, does it matter?

Only had it 4 days now with all the rumors of the iPhone 6 been bigger again I didn't want that and my iPhone 4S contract finished on Sunday so due an upgrade, but if loads of people have the problem guess if I'm ever near an apple store I'll go and have a quick chat about it.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
You've just made me find out my power button rattles I dislike this thread now it will annoy me forever! Is this actually normal?
I can tell you I tried actually 140 iPhones 5s through 4 Apple Stores and they ALL rattled, mine included.
If I'd get an iPhone 5s without the rattle sound I'd be very worried :D

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
I can tell you I tried actually 140 iPhones 5s through 4 Apple Stores and they ALL rattled, mine included.

If I'd get an iPhone 5s without the rattle sound I'd be very worried :D

I call BS that you took the time to shake 140 different iPhones violently in apple stores to hear the rattle. Did the Apple employees not wonder what the heck you were doing? I'm sure they didn't say sure we will open 140 sealed iPhones for you to shake so I'm assuming you shook display models. All of the 4 iPhones I mentioned have had no issues whatsoever so I'm not concerned at all. Also I still have my 4s and my mom, friend, and girl friend have their 5's still. Tonight we tested them too, guess what? No rattle! And all those devices lasted us as long as we needed/wanted them to with no warranty exchanges at all. The rattle issue might be common but I do not believe it to be the majority of iPhones. I instead think it's overly exaggerated just like any issue a few people ever have with Apple products. 10% have the problem and they become EXTREMELY vocal and extremely upset causing everyone else to think it's a problem with all the said devices.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
if you do not hear the rattle in the camera then something is not right. The rattle is from the auto focus and it should be there.