My new iMac was hacked by hackers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacPC, Aug 20, 2012.

1. MacPC macrumors regular

I had a very odd experience today. Just thought I will share it with you all. It all started when I tried to retrieve my yahoo mail account. I suspect my yahoo account was hacked and the password was changed, so for almost a year I am not able to log in. (Same thing happened to my other yahoo account a few years ago by the way. I am really sick of these bunch of yahoos at Yahoo.) Anyhow, I was looking on Yahoo's website to try to seen some helps, then I did a search on Google, this came up.
    http://computerexpert247.com/yahoo/index.html. At first I thought it was Yahoo' website so I called this number, 1-800-514-7575. after a brief conversation with this dude Mahi with an Indian accent, he sent me to this link
    https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/Customer/Code.aspx where he could mote to my Mac, which made me very uncomfortable. He looked at Netstat on my Mac, very quickly he closed netstat then told me my Mac was hacked. He tried to scare me by telling me that someone had planted a key logger on my Mac to steal my password and my yahoo account was deleted. Then he offer a "service" from a place call Office Depot,, for $450.00 or so he said, a "Security Experts" will remove all the malwares on my Mac and for another $200 or so, they will give me a life time garentee. What a crook! I know for fact that my Mac is not compromised. Have some body else experienced something like this?

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I've never experienced anything like this but if you have really been compromised, do the following:

-Back up your data
    -Boot from the install DVD/recovery partition.
    -Wipe the hard drive clean.
    -Install OS X.

Then you'll be safe.

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

So, you have called a random number on a website that apparently has nothing to do with Yahoo! to solve a problem with a Yahoo! account?

And not only that, you let a stranger have access to your terminal?
    I don't want to scare you, but are you sure he hasn't typed anything else in the terminal? That he has not uploaded nothing to your computer?

4. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

LOL, you did read the disclaimer on the logmeinrescue.com page that opened, right ?

Do you trust Mahi from India ?

-t

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yeah, the guy on the phone probably gained access to your mac remotely and he is the 'hacker'. The number has nothing to do w/ yahoo nor the other link.

I would reinstall from scratch the OS.

6. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

I know, I was being stupid :eek: . I was very frucstructed at the time because I could not get back to the yahoo account and I thought it was a legit Yahoo site. Bad judgement!! Lesson learned. Afterward I did a full scan with ClamXav, and didn't seem like my Mac was infected with anything.

7. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Do you have Little Snitch installed ?

That *might* detect any unknwon apps that try to communicate to the outside world.

When you said he quickly looked at Netstat, are you sure he didn't type in anything else, and quickly install something ?

I think chances are low, because his main point was to FUD you into buying the service, but still.

-t

8. docx macrumors member

if it was me I would do a clean install for peace of mind

9. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Just for laughs, this is the website of the phone number the OP called:

http://computerexpert247.com/dell_printer.html

I would definitely backup my files and do a clean install. And don't even bother trying to fix the yahoo mail issue, it isn't worth it.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You and me both.

11. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Muahaha :D

"Hi, my name is Mahi"

-t

12. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Call Toll Free - 1-800-514-7575 for Best US based support for any technical problem!We at Computer Expert 247 are giving you great online computer / laptop Tech support for one low price and we have resolve your operating system, virus & malware, internet connectivity, display driver, computer speed, printer, and many other issues.

Dude ... Seriously? Do a clean install now.

13. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You seriously don't know who Office Depot is? However, I do think that you need to reinstall OS X right away, this isn't something that should be toyed around with. Though, I find it hard to believe that you were "hacked", rather you might have fallen for a Phishing scam.

Don't call random numbers of people you don't know for tech support, you literally opened your Mac up to them snooping through your personal files by letting him remotely control it! Backup, Reinstall, Now.

14. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I heard of Office Depot but I just never knew that they have "Security Experts".
    Good thing that I have a clone of my Mac HD, so I clone every previous version of my HD back. That should wipe out any potential malware Mahi might have installed on my Mac. :D

15. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

16. chown33 macrumors 604

You're taking Mahi's word that they do. Considering what you've posted so far, does that seem wise?

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Not that I'm an expert, but...

As soon as possible, and run the data through a anti-virus, malware program, and select the secure wipe option when reinstalling your OS.

18. MacPC, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

good thinking!

----------

Mahi is pulling my legs

19. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Complete BS. You should now worry more about what he did on your iMac. And you should never EVER call support for a product to a company that doesn't own the product.

He even looked at things that are completely unrelated to your e-mail.

----------

Tell me in detail what he really did. I'm interested to find out what a person who hasn't used a Mac before would do, especially pretending to be a tech support.

20. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

This is a very common scam, although usually it's done by companies pretending to be Microsoft.

If you have the time to spare, here's a video where a guy keeps them on the phone for an hour and shows you how they operate: