My New iPad Has Dirt/Dead Pixels on the Screen

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
I just received my new iPad (3rd gen of course) and it has either some dead pixels or a bit of dirt under the screen...

This is so ultimately disappointing and very frustrating. I'd swap it but Apple has no stock.

Any tips?

Kroxx

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Use it until they get new stock....

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
I just received my new iPad (3rd gen of course) and it has either some dead pixels or a bit of dirt under the screen...

This is so ultimately disappointing and very frustrating. I'd swap it but Apple has no stock.

Any tips?
Go to a local Apple Store. They must have spare iPads in stock behind the Genius bar. Those units don't come in a retail box and are soley for replcing defect goods.

Kroxx

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

homeboy said:

Any tips?
Go to a local Apple Store. They must have spare iPads in stock behind the Genius bar. Those units don't come in a retail box and are soley for replcing defect goods.
The ones that are not in retail boxes are reconditioned, don't think they will have any of those yet.... But apple stores do keep hold of a few new iPads just in case someone has a defective iPad

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If I have to replce my iPad it's going to be with another retail unit. Or I'll return and repurchase as many times as necessary.

wtiger91

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011

The ones that are not in retail boxes are reconditioned, don't think they will have any of those yet.... But apple stores do keep hold of a few new iPads just in case someone has a defective iPad
those are not refurbished ones, when people brought in their defective ipad2s after launch day last year, apple gave out replacements.

Kroxx

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2011

I took my ipad2 back last year and was given a brand new one....

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I will bet it will only take a few weeks and they will have lots of iPad 3 refurbs as many return them over and over.

Right now you would get a new one for sure.

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London

They are not neccessarily reconditioned. They are simply not for retail sale i.e specifically been allocated for replacing defect units. I have had my iDevices exchanged in the past and all of them have been out of boxes that aren't retail but have had plastic film and everything on them.

Kroxx

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2011

homeboy said:

They are not neccessarily reconditioned. They are simply not for retail sale i.e specifically been allocated for replacing defect units. I have had my iDevices exchanged in the past and all of them have been out of boxes that aren't retail but have had plastic film and everything on them.
Yes, the insides are reconditioned and the case and screen are new

alFR

macrumors 68020
Aug 10, 2006
How on earth are they going to be reconditioned when the thing's only been out for less than 24h? Unless a load of time travellers have been buying them, going back into the past and returning them so Apple has had time to recondition them and get them back to stores already, of course... :rolleyes:

Kroxx

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2011

alFR said:
Kroxx said:
How on earth are they going to be reconditioned when the thing's only been out for less than 24h? Unless a load of time travellers have been buying them, going back into the past and returning them so Apple has had time to recondition them and get them back to stores already, of course... :rolleyes:
Have you read all of this thread?? I said earlier that they won't have any reconditioned ones yet and he will receive a new one..... I was talking in general that all the apple devices out of the black boxes are reconditioned inside but have new screens and casing (I think)

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
I rang up and apparently I can't go to my Apple Store as them and the online store (where I preordered) are separate entities.

He would setup a replacement but I wouldn't get my replacement until the first week of April.

I am going to put up with it for now and in two weeks if I can cope, then meh and if its still driving me nuts I'll setup a replacement then (when stock levels and hopefully levelled out).

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I rang up and apparently I can't go to my Apple Store as them and the online store (where I preordered) are separate entities.

He would setup a replacement but I wouldn't get my replacement until the first week of April.

I am going to put up with it for now and in two weeks if I can cope, then meh and if its still driving me nuts I'll setup a replacement then (when stock levels and hopefully levelled out).
What?!? You are saying in turn that you did not actually buy it from apple then? If yes, don't just say yes, give all details, also post a pic or ten please

William.Mantle

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
What?!? You are saying in turn that you did not actually buy it from apple then? If yes, don't just say yes, give all details, also post a pic or ten please
His story is falling apart... If he doesn't get some pictures up then it's pretty obvious someone's just looking for attention

How sad

mugatu

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2007
I've just received my new iPad (in the UK) and unfortunately there are some dead pixels bang in the middle of the screen. I've booked a Genius bar appointment for tomorrow in the hope they can replace it. Two quick questions;

1) I ordered online, will the Genius bar still replace/fix it or will they send me away to speak to the online team?

2) Do you think there's any chance they'll have replacement units out back to swap it with one day after launch?