my new iphone 3G black its blue!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alejovh1, Jul 17, 2008.

1. alejovh1 macrumors regular

so I was showing off the 3G to a friend and we were sitting outside work in direct sunlight, the plastic back looked comlpetely blue/purple rather than black!
    wet back inside and looked black again! anyone else noticed that? probably just the reflection? anyway the comment I got back was "nice purple iphone" :D

2. jakeacc macrumors regular

3. newyorksole macrumors 68020

You're the third person on these forums that I read that from. I hope mine just looks pure black.

4. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Take your shades off.

There, fixed it for you. :)

5. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

Yes mine is like this too. It is almost like a deep navy blue outside.

6. Nashional macrumors newbie

The first time I took it out after leaving the store Friday was to show my wife and we were in direct sun. I was happy to get black (last 16Gb one) and as I said that and showed it to her, it looked purple in the sun. :confused:

7. alejovh1 thread starter macrumors regular

wow, thank you. I thought I was loosing it and seeing different colors!!:)

8. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Are you all males? Because you all can be a tad colorblind.

9. Pedromiguel20 macrumors member

purple is just what you're eye is seeing in direct sun light but it black. It's a human default as the eye is not able to capture such a color.

Sun light+black appears purpulish in some sort.

10. tritonj macrumors 6502a

it is the sunlight reflecting off the gloss finish on the plastic.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, I'm looking outside. At this truck across the street. It's black. No, it's not nighttime.

12. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Same thing happens if you look at a first-gen iPhone in the sunlight; take a gander at the home button and see if it looks like the glass :)

13. Penguinwrangler macrumors regular

Boy this iPhone is really ticking off the people who don't understand how light or their eyes work, huh? First the "mine is yellower than yours" kerfuffle over what is actually an improvement to the iPhone's color temperature, and now it's "purple"? True black is the absence of light frequencies of any kind. Direct sunlight is pretty much the opposite of that, save for the frequencies that our atmosphere filters out (which allows us to live on this planet) and we only get to "see" a small fraction of those. If you hold the iPhone in direct sunlight you're going to get some frequencies bounced back at you no matter what the quality of the black material. Hell, the grease from your hand on the plastic would be enough to refract some. Is it possible that for structural reasons a plastic with near 100% absorption couldn't be used? Sure. Maybe it's not a perfect black in that sense, but it's not going to be noticeable until you bombard the phone with the full range of the spectrum.

14. alejovh1 thread starter macrumors regular

just to make it clear, I'm talking about the back plastic cover not the screen!
    and I'm not complaining, love my iphone. please relax and enjoy your purple iphone! :D

15. mkoesel macrumors regular

Pretty common effect. My old Black SLVR looked distinctly brown in sunlight.

16. kis macrumors 65816

funny, I just said to my wife today that my 3G looks blue in direct sunlight

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well said. The black 3G is most likely going to be covered in oil from your fingers, which will help the "purplish" look.

18. jakeacc macrumors regular

glossy black plastic + sunlight + reflection of blue sky = dark purple

Don't believe me? Take another glossy plastic item besides your iPhone and look at on a sunny day.

19. brian.kirby macrumors newbie

I completely agree the 3G "black" is really not black at all.
    What's up with that?

20. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

i can't believe it took so long for someone to mention the sky. IT'S THE SKY, PEOPLE! THE SKY! reflective black + blue = purple. THE SKY!!!

21. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Different lighting is always going to make colors look different. What's black under fluorescent light may look purplish or reddish (because black dye is a combination of colors...if the dye used is a blue-based black it may appear purplish or reddish if it's a red-based black dye) under incandescent light or sunlight.

I own a company that does anodizing and we run into this phenomenon all the time. Parts are inspected under different light sources and we have to adjust our chemistry to get it as black as possible but it's never going to be perfect black under different light sources due to the way different frequency light waves bounce off of it and of course, there's no "true black" except for the black album by Spinal Tap.

22. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

23. LotuSviLLe macrumors member

I have noticed the same thing when I have looked at the back of my iPhone in direct sunlight. It looks blue instead of black. yay.

24. fanbrain macrumors 6502

fanbrain

In the additive color spectrum, you make black by adding all colors together. You can't make "pure black". Purple is the dominant color reflecting back. Get over it.

25. overcast macrumors 6502a

You are wrong, additive color involves light. Red, green and blue. When they are combined it forms white light. The light must be illuminated/emitted by the source.

Subtractive, used in pigments and dyes, are made up of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow. This forms black. The color is formed by absorbing wavelengths and reflecting others.